Husker Hoops commentary from Shatel & Barfknecht

Shatel: B1G Challenge Might Be Just What Husker Hoops Needs To Become Relevant Again

CHICAGO — Big shoulders. Big banners.

People ask the difference between the Big Ten basketball tournament and the old shindig in Kansas City. For the answer, look directly up, to the rafters. To the ceiling.

On one side of the United Center, you see the work of Michael Jordan. Six NBA championship banners. Salute. Kneel before them. Be impressed.

On the other side hangs the history of the city’s NHL team, the Blackhawks of the Original Six. The stuff of goose bumps.

From the statues of Jordan and Stan Mikita to the imposing skyline to the east, everything about this venue says it: Big time.

You feel it when the Big Ten tourney sets up camp in Indianapolis, too. This league plays in NBA arenas. It plays before huge, passionate crowds, passionate about their teams, about their hoops.

It’s not Kemper or Sprint, it’s not Oklahoma City, or Dallas — the latter two NBA arenas located in burgs where hoops is a secondary language.

Nebraska now plays basketball in a league that cares about basketball.

Continue Reading

Barfknecht: Shades Of Bill Snyder In Miles' Approach

CHICAGO — “So what do you think of Tim Miles?”

Friends, fans, emailers and chatters have hit me with that question since Miles took the Nebraska men’s basketball job nearly a year ago.

First impressions, in this day of instant expertise and commentary, are everywhere from everybody. Me, I’m leery of first-year impressions when assessing power-conference coaches.

The love for Miles right now is near full bloom — and deservedly so.

This was a Husker team that people near the program feared might max out at 10 wins.

He got to 15, including an upset of Purdue in the Big Ten tournament, which has led friends to tell him semi-seriously that he raised the bar too high too soon at the start of his seven-year contract.

So after Miles’ first 12 months on the job, what should we think?

I see parallels between Miles’ early days at NU and the early days of Kansas State football under Bill Snyder. I’m talking about what Snyder often calls “intrinsic values” on how to do business.

Continue Reading

• Fire 2

"But it’s rare for teams with one senior and at least seven Big Ten newcomers to excel. Especially with a lack of Big Ten size and strength."

I sincerely hope people realize this. I get the feeling people are expecting way too much of next year. The team will be much more fun to watch and will be vastly improved in depth and ability, but that doesn't necessarily translate into wins. They will be inconsistent and will more than likely have some games where they look just plain bad. Let's remember these aren't all high-4 and 5 star guys.

• 3 weeks later...

"But it’s rare for teams with one senior and at least seven Big Ten newcomers to excel. Especially with a lack of Big Ten size and strength."

I sincerely hope people realize this. I get the feeling people are expecting way too much of next year. The team will be much more fun to watch and will be vastly improved in depth and ability, but that doesn't necessarily translate into wins. They will be inconsistent and will more than likely have some games where they look just plain bad. Let's remember these aren't all high-4 and 5 star guys.

Comments like this drive me crazy. There are only 100+ or - 4 to 5 star kids every year. There are approx. 350 D1 BB teams and there are 12 or 15 teams that will take 50% of these kids because of BB tradition; now that leaves 25% for kids that stay close to home and the other 25% are available for approx. 100 teams. The key is to find the kids who fit your system and teach. Yes, it would be nice to get a 4 or 5 star player every other year. Its not like we have that kind of talent in Nebraska and when we do we need to get them to stay home and play.

I said the same somewhere else. The next 2-3 conference wins might not be tough to find. But after that, it gets a LOT harder. There were 7 B1G teams ranked in the Top 25 at some point this past year which means you basically have to be a Top 25-caliber team just to get to the middle of the pack. We are a ways from being there yet.

I said the same somewhere else. The next 2-3 conference wins might not be tough to find. But after that, it gets a LOT harder. There were 7 B1G teams ranked in the Top 25 at some point this past year which means you basically have to be a Top 25-caliber team just to get to the middle of the pack. We are a ways from being there yet.

Needs to be taken into account the most of the top of the conference is losing a lot of talent. The same teams will be fighting at the top, but mostly wont be as strong. It will be more possible to catch a big dog or two this next season.

People need to really look at our team last year. No jabs at the kids, but our talent was a joke.

Biggs, Webster > Parker, Talley

Pitchford, Petteway, Smith > Ubel, Almeida, Rivers

Shields had a good freshman season, and Gallegos can hit that streaky 3.

We just need Sergei to learn how to play bball at 7'1.....dont see how we can't be better next season.

People need to really look at our team last year. No jabs at the kids, but our talent was a joke.

Biggs, Webster > Parker, Talley

Pitchford, Petteway, Smith > Ubel, Almeida, Rivers

Shields had a good freshman season, and Gallegos can hit that streaky 3.

We just need Sergei to learn how to play bball at 7'1.....dont see how we can't be better next season.

I would agree with your comparisons if you're talking about athleticism.

If you're talking about skill set, it's hard to say as we have never seen the new guys play a game against a big ten opponent. (Edit: the following statement is not directed at Big Ern, it's a general statement) Don't say you've seen them play against B12 or SEC cause Pitchford didn't play and I highly doubt anyone watched an entire Texas Tech game and was focused on Petteway.

If you're talking about experience it's no contest. You're comparisons would be dead wrong. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not (I certainly don't) Dylan Talley was an incredibly reliable PG the last half of the season. He did some stupid stuff but he had to, there weren't many options around him. David Rivers was pretty solid when he decided to play D (which was rare). No one will ever give you more effort and intelligence than Ubel.

My point is, the raw ability and potential coming into the year is astronomically higher, but experience and development is going to be so far below what it was last year that we are going to see far more inconsistencies and more losses in tossup/favored games. That's how inexperienced teams work. I think at the end of the season you'll see much more potential/promise for the future, but probably pretty close to an identical overall record.

Comments like this drive me crazy. There are only 100+ or - 4 to 5 star kids every year. There are approx. 350 D1 BB teams and there are 12 or 15 teams that will take 50% of these kids because of BB tradition; now that leaves 25% for kids that stay close to home and the other 25% are available for approx. 100 teams. The key is to find the kids who fit your system and teach. Yes, it would be nice to get a 4 or 5 star player every other year. Its not like we have that kind of talent in Nebraska and when we do we need to get them to stay home and play.

I said temper expectations, the new guys aren't 4 and 5 stars. You said that statement drives you crazy.

You then explained to me that Nebraska didn't get any 4 or 5 star guys.

I said temper expectations, the new guys aren't 4 and 5 stars. You said that statement drives you crazy.

It drives me crazy that people think we can not win & be competitive without 4 & 5 star players. Your statement eludes to that belief.

It drives me crazy that people think we can not win & be competitive without 4 & 5 star players. Your statement eludes to that belief.

You can absolutely win with them. I'm saying it's extremely hard to win with them in the first year. I expect them to be very solid in a couple years, I'm simply saying that next year they will be very green and are going to suffer growing pains.