Obama signs Monsanto Protection Act

http://rt.com/usa/monsanto-bill-blunt-agriculture-006/

Wow. In my opinion this is the most disgraceful piece of legislature from Obama & Congress. GMO (genetically modified foods) will no longer be regulated. GMOs are banned in several countries and have been heavily scrutinized for being potentially hazardous to consumers. GMOs are seeds that are genetically modified by being injected with pesticides which are passed onto consumers. Monsanto has already threatened to sue states that print GMO information on food packages (Im sure its because theres nothing to worry about). So in addition to not being able to see what you are consuming, Congress also thought it was a good idea to not make Monsanto liable for any health issues or deaths in the future caused by their products. And this bill was written by Monsanto itself. This stinks of crooked backroom dealings and puts priority on Monsanto's profits over the health of consumers. Anybody else outraged by this?

Your right I worded that wrong. I tried to dumb down the science part. GMOs are seeds whose DNA makeup is altered by incorporating other animal DNA and bacterias. The major breakthrough was RoundupReady crops, which enabled farmers to spray crops with glysophate to kill all sorts of weeds without killing the crop itself. Problem is Roundup Ready is used so much that it has lost alot of its affectiveness. Weeds are now becoming resistant to the same pesticides. Now farmers are resorting to other pesticides and herbicides, which are much more harmful and studies have shown that these new pesticides can get into our crops. A study last year showed that rats exposed to these same pesticides started to develop tumors, but no official study has been done on the human effects (for obvious reasons)Thats what I was trying to get at.

And to be clear I am not against GMO crops. I do have an issue with how they are marketed though. Consumers should have the right to know what they are buying and it is there choice to eat GMOs or avoid them. And why does Monsanto get legal protection when the public doesn't?

Your right I worded that wrong. I tried to dumb down the science part. GMOs are seeds whose DNA makeup is altered by incorporating other animal DNA and bacterias.

Still not quite accurate.

The major breakthrough was RoundupReady crops, which enabled farmers to spray crops with glysophate to kill all sorts of weeds without killing the crop itself. Problem is Roundup Ready is used so much that it has lost alot of its affectiveness. Weeds are now becoming resistant to the same pesticides.

^^^^This is mostly correct but you mean herbicides. Not pesticides.

Your right I worded that wrong. I tried to dumb down the science part. GMOs are seeds whose DNA makeup is altered by incorporating other animal DNA and bacterias.

Still not quite accurate.

The major breakthrough was RoundupReady crops, which enabled farmers to spray crops with glysophate to kill all sorts of weeds without killing the crop itself. Problem is Roundup Ready is used so much that it has lost alot of its affectiveness. Weeds are now becoming resistant to the same pesticides.

^^^^This is mostly correct but you mean herbicides. Not pesticides.

For which allowed farmers to use FAR fewer herbicides. I would think that would be a good thing.

BTW...Herbicides are pesticides. Pesticides can be either herbicides or insecticides. In other words....both a weed and a bug can be a pest. The most accurate and complete the information is better.

Aside from all terminology, wouldnt anyone prefer to know what they're consuming or buying. Not to mention, isnt that a right?

I have no problem with pushing for more product labeling because I want to know what I am consuming. However, as a consumer, I am not concerned about eating GMO stuff.

I guess I'm just curious how this affects everything else. Couldnt this be a slippery slope? If we give one company and exemption from full product labeling, where do you draw the line?

Or am I looking at too big'a picture?

I dont necessarily have an opinion on this matter. i dont know all the details. But I thing rules and reg's should be for everyone. If your product is really fine, product labeling and information shouldnt be an issue. Folks should be allowed to form a fully informed opinion.