Barack Obama: Deficit Hawk

it should all be about jobs. jobs fix the economy and help the daily lives of americans. i am glad carlfense posted this because it is interesting and good to know, but this issue is always a red herring used by republicans to cut spending and democrats are damned if they do and damned if they do not.

I would agree that it should be about jobs and that jobs, more than deficit/debt reduction, will do the most to help the economy and the average American. And, coincidently, would help reduce deficit spending. But, deficit spending and the debt aren't red herrings. They are very real problems that have serious repercussions on our economic health and thus also affect the average American. Democrats are damned if they do what? Cut spending? How would we know? The more accurate statement would be "Americans are damned by both the republicans and democrats."

• Fire 1

it should all be about jobs. jobs fix the economy and help the daily lives of americans. i am glad carlfense posted this because it is interesting and good to know, but this issue is always a red herring used by republicans to cut spending and democrats are damned if they do and damned if they do not.

I would agree that it should be about jobs and that jobs, more than deficit/debt reduction, will do the most to help the economy and the average American. And, coincidently, would help reduce deficit spending. But, deficit spending and the debt aren't red herrings. They are very real problems that have serious repercussions on our economic health and thus also affect the average American. Democrats are damned if they do what? Cut spending? How would we know? The more accurate statement would be "Americans are damned by both the republicans and democrats."

i just meant that it is always an issue that takes first priority. and even now that the deficit is project to dramatically decrease, it is still not enough. but what you said is definitely more accurate.

i am not being facetious, but i have never seen the effect of debt/deficit. it just seems like an issue for the party out of power to complain about. but jobs would help generate revenue for the gov't, helping to fix both problems.

• Fire 1

i just meant that it is always an issue that takes first priority. and even now that the deficit is project to dramatically decrease, it is still not enough. but what you said is definitely more accurate.

i am not being facetious, but i have never seen the effect of debt/deficit. it just seems like an issue for the party out of power to complain about. but jobs would help generate revenue for the gov't, helping to fix both problems.

+1

"deficits don't matter."

-Dick Cheney

• Fire 1

When repubs are out of office - there is too much spending. When dems are out of office - there is not enough spending. Jobs, Jobs Jobs allows both to have their cake and eat it too. A job producing economy drives revenues into the treasury so that the repubs have enought money not to complain about 'not having enough money for the bills' and dems have enough money for the good social programs. When it comes down to it, we have the ying and the yang that rarely happen at the same time - Balancing the budget, or budget constraints have typically been the cry of republicans not named GWB. Spending for social problems and helping the needy, good goals, has been the cry of the dems. Both positions are commendable - wisdom tells us to spend within our means, and it also tells us we are responsible for the less fortunate. Having a job growing economy will help us to meet both of those goals. That goes back to the other tread on job production. What is the best path to get us to producing more jobs - protecting and growing manufacturing, some tariffs, gov't incubation of new industries (think space exploration and all of the industries/technologies it created)??? Without hijacking this thread, this is what it comes down to in its most basic form. We can afford Obama care (the other thread) and big govt - if we have a thriving economy with job growth.

• Fire 1

When repubs are out of office - there is too much spending. When dems are out of office - there is not enough spending.

i think this is conventional wisdom, i am just not sure how true it it anymore. wars are expensive. so are massive tax breaks. but i think you are right that a balance exists. i think we can all agree there are places that could be cut, places where spending is necessary, and we all want a gov't that is efficient and effective (although, i am not so sure about the tea party with the latter).

• Fire 2

16 + Trillion dollars of debt doesn't matter? Government borrowing 40 cents for every dollar it spends doesn't matter? Well, I was worried for nothing.

show, do not tell.

...what?

how is that hurting anything? honest question.

Are you saying that we could have an unlimited amount in debt and that would not hurt anything?

• Fire 1

16 + Trillion dollars of debt doesn't matter? Government borrowing 40 cents for every dollar it spends doesn't matter? Well, I was worried for nothing.

show, do not tell.

...what?

how is that hurting anything? honest question.

Are you saying that we could have an unlimited amount in debt and that would not hurt anything?

i want to know how the debt and deficit has hurt us so far. that is all. and how it may hurt us in the foreseeable future.

• Fire 2