Huskerboard Favorite Scotch or Whiskey Thread

And I'm going off the board here. Buy a bottle of Hendricks gin. Put three ice cubes in a glass and pour a healthy dose for courage. Thank me later.

clear-alcohols-are-for-rich-women-on-diets.jpg

Normally yes. And always true with vodka. Seriously. f#*k vodka right in the pants.

Buy the gin. Trust me.

Yeah, gotta agree with the gin. I switch over to gin once in a while. I like the taste. And it actually packs more of a kick than whiskey. Unfortunately, a worse hangover too. :lol:

• 2 months later...

Anybody ever try Middletons Special Reserve? I was watching Rescue Me a while back and in the final season Tommy proclaims that the greatest whiskey ever made is Middletons Special reserve. Since I assume this is also Dennis Learys favorite as well I trust his assesment. Anybody confirm?

I've never heard of a Midleton Special Reserve. I do know anything that actually has Midleton on the label is usually quite expensive and very high quality. Could you mean Midleton Very Rare (which is considered by many to be one of the top Irish whiskeys around)? Or one of the Jameson Reserves? I ask about the latter because the group that operates the Midleton distillery is responsible for several brands, including Jameson.

Ok, so I watched a youtube video where Tommy orders 8 fingers of their top shelf Irish whiskey. That bottle (and the box he pulls it from) is almost certainly Midleton Very Rare. I can only assume that's what you're talking about. And yes, that is very good and very expensive Irish whiskey. It's on my list to try, but I have plenty of other ones higher up on the list at the moment.

irish_mid13.jpg

• Fire 1

My god even the box is sexy. Ill have to watch that episode. The one I remember is where Janet is at home waiting for him with two glasses. One contains said whiskey, the other a popular vodka I forget at the moment. He isnt persuaded and pours both down sink. Final season, midway through epidsode I believe. Im almost certain you are correct though. I remember that episode as well. He sees his son on a bus then goes in a bar and pulls the classic "Youd be drinking this quick if you only had $10" line, then does a hilarious and somber poor me rant and tells a bar hag to go blow a drummer.

Now available if you want to support a local distillery.

Cut Spike Single Malt Whiskey

Getting ready to open my second bottle below.

Looking at their page, I see they've got a tasting room and tours. But what do you think about their whiskey? How does it compare to others you've had? I'm sure I'll pop in and give it a try at some point, but I'd like to hear what you think of it. :)

Now available if you want to support a local distillery.

Cut Spike Single Malt Whiskey

Getting ready to open my second bottle below.

Looking at their page, I see they've got a tasting room and tours. But what do you think about their whiskey? How does it compare to others you've had? I'm sure I'll pop in and give it a try at some point, but I'd like to hear what you think of it. :)

First off, I would go to the tasting room and give it a try before forking over ~$50 for a bottle. I would put it up against any $30 range whiskey. It's only a two year aged drink, but I am pleasantly surprised by the smoothness and hints of other flavors. I only drink it straight, and it's one of the few bottles in my bar I keep under the shelf.

Yeah, I'll definitely try before I buy since that's an option. The two years does give me pause, but I've learned that doesn't always mean it's rough and underaged. Thanks for the quick info, I'll make sure to stop in there next time I get the chance.

Do you have any idea if they're setting barrels aside for a longer aging process? If their product is worthwhile at two years, I'd love to sample it in the 6-12 year range down the road.

• 7 months later...

Intoxicating investment: How some whisky lovers are now making millions

The whisky glows like a candle in the bottom of the glass. Its aroma is rich, deep, musky, inviting. But dare I take a sip?

This is the new Balvenie 50-year-old, which carries a price tag of £25,000 ($40,800) a bottle. Which means that the single dram I am holding is worth about £830 ($1,350).