IRS targets Tea Party

Doesn't rate on my righteous indignation scale. I like to think that it has nothing to do with my feelings on the Tea Party, but who knows. I guess my feelings are: So the tax collectors are taking an extra hard look at a group of people who's primary goal is to not pay any taxes.... Meh.

Doesn't rate on my righteous indignation scale. I like to think that it has nothing to do with my feelings on the Tea Party, but who knows. I guess my feelings are: So the tax collectors are taking an extra hard look at a group of people who's primary goal is to not pay any taxes.... Meh.

Like Klein in the link, I'm fine with extra scrutiny of all 5019( c )4 social welfare organizations. I'm definitely not OK with targeting only organizations of a certain political leaning . . . whether it was intentional or just a short cut. Unacceptable.

Like Klein in the link, I'm fine with extra scrutiny of all 5019( c )4 social welfare organizations. I'm definitely not OK with targeting only organizations of a certain political leaning . . . whether it was intentional or just a short cut. Unacceptable.

I agree with the idea that it shouldn't happen, but given the group they are targeting, I'm not surprised that it did. And yes, I definitely agree with the notion of looking very skeptically at ALL 501c4 groups.

Marco Rubio Calls on Nonexistent IRS Commissioner to Resign

Sen. Marco Rubio has sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew (full text below the fold) in which he says "I strongly urge that you and President Obama demand the IRS Commissioner’s resignation, effectively immediately." It's perhaps a sign of how interested in the details of this matter Rubio is that there in fact is no IRS commissioner at present. The last IRS commissioner, Douglas Shulman, was appointed by George W. Bush in March of 2008 and resigned in November. It seems unlikely that this Republican appointee was engineering an inquiry in Tea Party groups' tax status for partisan reasons and even if Shulman is to blame he can't resign because he's ... already resigned.

The problems Republicans seem to be having with the IRS scandal is that the misconduct in question is so clearly misconduct that nobody is defending it or covering it up. For partisan purposes, it'd be better to have an ongoing controversy than to have the matter settled promptly and correctly. So they need to pick a fight. But there's no fight to be picked over Obama's IRS commissioner because Obama doesn't have an IRS commissioner.

http://www.slate.com...esignation.html

Both sides are going to try to make political hay out of it. The Republicans are going to attack and the Dems are going to TRY to poo poo the entire thing and make anyone who is outraged by it look silly.

Have you seen "Dems" trying to poo poo the entire thing? If so . . . who?

Both sides are going to try to make political hay out of it. The Republicans are going to attack and the Dems are going to TRY to poo poo the entire thing and make anyone who is outraged by it look silly.

Ahem....Junior & Someone, within this very thread. "Poo poo the entire thing" might be subjective but certainly they are down playing it and not showing much, if any, indignation.

Ahem....Junior & Someone, within this very thread. "Poo poo the entire thing" might be subjective but certainly they are down playing it and not showing much, if any, indignation.

I assumed by "Dems" he was talking about elected officials, but regardless, I'm not downplaying it. I'm just not "burn them at the stake" angry.

1. On one hand, we have Rubio calling on Obama to insist that the IRS Commissioner resigns, on the other hand, you have someone saying "Unacceptable".

2. My voter registration card doesn't match the label that was just assigned to me.

3. I think the proper amount of indignation was shown in post #5. The improper amount of indignation was shown by Rubio.

4. I think the point Carl made when he asked "Have you seen Dems trying to poo poo the entire thing? If so . . . who?" was just comfirmed by the reply that followed his question.

"Unacceptable" is downplaying it? Junior has clarified his comment . . .

Are they "Dems?" Further . . . why would a "Dem" downplay this? I'm not sure that I'm following.