IRS targets Tea Party

You guys are funny. It's always interesting that sometimes I post something that I think is going to cause a big stink on the board and nothing happens. Then, I post what I think is fairly non partisan post that most would agree with and it causes more responses than I would think.

The phrases highlighted below indicate that my post was a PREDICTION. It is not claiming that I have seen it already. But...hey...if you guys want to go on the defensive already...have at it.

Both sides are going to try to make political hay out of it. The Republicans are going to attack and the Dems are going to TRY to poo poo the entire thing and make anyone who is outraged by it look silly.

It will be interesting to see how far this goes.

I was talking about politicians when I originally posted this comment. Since then, I have been pleasantly surprised at the reactions of Obama and others.

I had thought that the politicians would poo poo it and the public would be outraged. Funny for some it was the opposite.

Marco Rubio Calls on Nonexistent IRS Commissioner to Resign

Sen. Marco Rubio has sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Jack Lew (full text below the fold) in which he says "I strongly urge that you and President Obama demand the IRS Commissioner’s resignation, effectively immediately." It's perhaps a sign of how interested in the details of this matter Rubio is that there in fact is no IRS commissioner at present. The last IRS commissioner, Douglas Shulman, was appointed by George W. Bush in March of 2008 and resigned in November. It seems unlikely that this Republican appointee was engineering an inquiry in Tea Party groups' tax status for partisan reasons and even if Shulman is to blame he can't resign because he's ... already resigned.

The problems Republicans seem to be having with the IRS scandal is that the misconduct in question is so clearly misconduct that nobody is defending it or covering it up. For partisan purposes, it'd be better to have an ongoing controversy than to have the matter settled promptly and correctly. So they need to pick a fight. But there's no fight to be picked over Obama's IRS commissioner because Obama doesn't have an IRS commissioner.

http://www.slate.com...esignation.html

I guess leaving out the word "acting" may be a horrible mistake. Or, maybe the non-existent person is the one that failed to tell Congress about it.

http://www.washingto...5f7c_story.html

Acting IRS commissioner repeatedly failed to tell Congress that tea party groups were targeted

WASHINGTON — Acting Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Steven T. Miller repeatedly failed to tell Congress that tea party groups were being inappropriately targeted, even after he had been briefed on the matter.

The IRS said Monday that Miller was first informed on May, 3, 2012, that applications for tax-exempt status by tea party groups were inappropriately singled out for extra, sometimes burdensome scrutiny.

At least twice after the briefing, Miller wrote letters to members of Congress to explain the process of reviewing applications for tax-exempt status without revealing that tea party groups had been targeted. On July 25, 2012, Miller testified before the House Ways and Means oversight subcommittee but again was not forthcoming on the issue — despite being asked about it.

Good thing though....

That non-existent person said today it won't happen again.

Acting IRS commissioner repeatedly failed to tell Congress that tea party groups were targeted

WASHINGTON - The IRS acting chief acknowledged Tuesday that the agency demonstrated "a lack of sensitivity" in its screenings of political groups seeking tax-exempt status, but he said those mistakes won't be repeated.

Of course they won't since they got caught. Everyone always promises not to do something again once they get caught doing it.

Like Obama promised to close Gitmo, then when it wasn't closed next time around, again promised to close it? Or is that something entirely different?

Of course they won't since they got caught. Everyone always promises not to do something again once they get caught doing it.

Like Obama promised to close Gitmo, then when it wasn't closed next time around, again promised to close it? Or is that something entirely different?

Oh that's WAY different. Your example is a person promising TO DO something. You can promise to do things and not follow through all day long and its okay.

I guess leaving out the word "acting" may be a horrible mistake. Or, maybe the non-existent person is the one that failed to tell Congress about it.

So . . . that guy who wasn't in charge at the time should resign because he is in charge now? Is that what you and Mr. Rubio are saying?

So . . . that guy who wasn't in charge at the time should resign because he is in charge now? Is that what you and Mr. Rubio are saying?

Where did I say that? Are you now saying we have someone in the position? Oh..."acting" in the position?

And, for the record, I will reserve judgment on this.

Where did I say that? Are you now saying we have someone in the position? Oh..."acting" in the position?

Do you understand the difference? No shame in that . . . you'd apparently be in the company of a US Senator. :lol:

An "acting" commissioner is one who is assuming the duties of the commissioner until a permanent one is appointed.

However, please explain how that alleviates him from any responsibility of what happens while he is in charge?

Yes....I know he wasn't in charge when supposedly these things took place. That wasn't the point of my post. The point was that you acted like there was absolutely nobody in the position. Obviously you didn't know that. But, I can understand why you would want to back peddle or deflect from that comment.

When the IRS investigated Liberal groups, no one cared:

Then, in 2006, the Wall Street Journal broke the story of a how a little-known pressure group called Public Interest Watch — which received 97 percent of its funds from Exxon Mobile one year — managed to get the IRS to open an investigation into Greenpeace. Greenpeace had labeled Exxon Mobil the “No. 1 climate criminal.” The IRS acknowledged its audit was initiated by Public Interest Watch and threatened to revoke Greenpeace’s tax-exempt status, but closed the investigation three months later.

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/14/when_the_irs_targeted_liberals/

BTW....I'm leaning towards being perfectly fine if this guy is forced to resign.

IRS officials in Washington were involved in targeting of conservative groups

Then-Commissioner Douglas Shulman, a George W. Bush appointee who stepped down in November, received a briefing from the TIGTA about what was happening in the Cincinnati office in May 2012, the aides said. His deputy and the agency’s current acting commissioner, Steven T. Miller, also learned about the matter that month, the aides said.

The officials did not share details with Republican lawmakers who had been demanding to know whether the IRS was targeting conservative groups, Republicans said.

“I wrote to the IRS three times last year after hearing concerns that conservative groups were being targeted,” Sen. Orrin G. Hatch (Utah), the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, said in a statement Monday. “In response to the first letter I sent with some of my colleagues, Steven Miller, the current Acting IRS Commissioner, responded that these groups weren’t being targeted.”

When the IRS investigated Liberal groups, no one cared:

Then, in 2006, the Wall Street Journal broke the story of a how a little-known pressure group called Public Interest Watch — which received 97 percent of its funds from Exxon Mobile one year — managed to get the IRS to open an investigation into Greenpeace. Greenpeace had labeled Exxon Mobil the “No. 1 climate criminal.” The IRS acknowledged its audit was initiated by Public Interest Watch and threatened to revoke Greenpeace’s tax-exempt status, but closed the investigation three months later.

http://www.salon.com...geted_liberals/

It's not acceptable if there is a concerted effort to target any segment of groups based on their political leanings. Is this the case here? Or, did Exxon Mobile come to the IRS with some type of lead or evidence that stimulated an investigation?