Abdullah 2013 Rushing Estimate

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll continue to harp on it - Ameer isn't good enough to get 1500 yards. Yell, scream, attack me all you want. Ameer isn't that great of a RB. Above average, yes. Isn't the most well rounded, fumbles, doesn't have the best speed, but has decent vision and cuts nicely. Stats are also inflated because he plays for N. He is overrated by quite a few people.

I'll continue to harp on it - Ameer isn't good enough to get 1500 yards. Yell, scream, attack me all you want. Ameer isn't that great of a RB. Above average, yes. Isn't the most well rounded, fumbles, doesn't have the best speed, but has decent vision and cuts nicely. Stats are also inflated because he plays for N. He is overrated by quite a few people.

Can you explain this?

Can you explain this?

Run heavy offense, in a run heavy conference, that doesn't have the best defenses - and Bo tends to favor the proven upperclassmen. I'm sure Eddie Lacy would've had a lot more yards if he played for Bo, in this offense, in this conference, and TJ Yeldon would've had a lot less carries. (He had like 30 less than Lacy).

Can you explain this?

Run heavy offense, in a run heavy conference, that doesn't have the best defenses - and Bo tends to favor the proven upperclassmen. I'm sure Eddie Lacy would've had a lot more yards if he played for Bo, in this offense, in this conference, and TJ Yeldon would've had a lot less carries. (He had like 30 less than Lacy).

Ok. I do think he is good enough. He had 1100 yards on 7 starts. Give him 12 starts and he could get there. Lacy did have 1300 yards last year. How many more do you think he could have had? Didn't he run behind 3 AA O linemen?

Can you explain this?

Ok. I do think he is good enough. He had 1100 yards on 7 starts. Give him 12 starts and he could get there. Lacy did have 1300 yards last year. How many more do you think he could have had? Didn't he run behind 3 AA O linemen?

Lacy had 1300 yards in the SEC, which is a whole different level than the B1G running wise, and had less carries than Ameer - He also ran for damn near 200 yards against Georgia. Regarding the 12 starts thing, I don't think many of you are being realistic thinking Ameer would make it through a season carrying the ball 300 times. He doesn't have the body for that. Hell, he was getting worn down at the end of this season.

If Lacy was in the B1G ten, on Nebraska? If you give Lacy that same number of carries as Ameer, had this year (225ish? Don't remember the exact number), I'd say Lacy gets pretty close to 1500 on that same number of carries in B1G, probably even more.

For example, I'd say Oregon's system made Kenjon Barner look like a much better back than he really is. Although he is above average, he is not some super back that should be rushing for 1800 yards in any "normal" system. I'd also say Kenjon is a higher quality back than Ameer.

For example, I'd say Oregon's system made Kenjon Barner look like a much better back than he really is. Although he is above average, he is not some super back that should be rushing for 1800 yards in any "normal" system. I'd also say Kenjon is a higher quality back than Ameer.

Well good grief. If youre gonna put it that way, then Lacy was made out to be better than he was by the system he played in the all-american offensive line he ran behind. Good gracious, we cant have it both ways now.

• Fire 1

Can you explain this?

Lacy had 1300 yards in the SEC, which is a whole different level than the B1G running wise, and had less carries than Ameer - He also ran for damn near 200 yards against Georgia. Regarding the 12 starts thing, I don't think many of you are being realistic thinking Ameer would make it through a season carrying the ball 300 times. He doesn't have the body for that. Hell, he was getting worn down at the end of this season.

If Lacy was in the B1G ten, on Nebraska? If you give Lacy that same number of carries as Ameer, had this year (225ish? Don't remember the exact number), I'd say Lacy gets pretty close to 1500 on that same number of carries in B1G, probably even more.

I will disagree on the SEC being on a different level rushing wise. They had 2 teams ranked in the top 25 in rushing offense. B1G had 4 by comparison. Now rushing DEFENSE is where it makes what Lacy better. 6 teams in the top 25. Ameer may have been getting worn down a little toward the end but that may have been on how the coaches we utilizing him throughout the season

Well good grief. If youre gonna put it that way, then Lacy was made out to be better than he was by the system he played in the all-american offensive line he ran behind. Good gracious, we cant have it both ways now.

Yeah...the O Line made it so he didn't get chased down from behind behind linebackers, not his god given speed. Lacy played in a pro style offense that wasn't based on "big plays" like Oregons offense (or tempo) like Nebraska.

Yeah...the O Line made it so he didn't get chased down from behind behind linebackers, not his god given speed. Lacy played in a pro style offense that wasn't based on "big plays" like Oregons offense (or tempo) like Nebraska.

It just seems like you made a bunch of excuses for the success of Abdullah and Barner, yet Lacy was all individual and god-given. Do you see the double standard I'm seeing?

Pretty much every player's-regardless of position-success can be largely accredited to playing in the proper system with the proper style. Abdullah fits Nebraska's up-tempo, sideline to sideline style a little better than Burkhead even did. But I wouldnt use Ameer in a pro I set, power game and expect as much consistency and success as I would with Rex.

I have already stated that 6 of our 14 games were against top 25 rush defenses. Iowa is usually right up there in rush defense, but if other teams were put in the same predicament were in against Iowa, they wouldn't have had a successful rush attack either. It was so windy and cold, you couldn't throw it. We still got 200 yards on the ground, with them knowing what was coming at them.

This is where the B1G ranked in rushing offense:

#8 Nebraska, #10 Ohio State, #13 Wisconsin, #19 Northwestern, #41 Michigan, #59 Purdue, #68 Minnesota, #77 Michigan St, #85 Penn St, #96 Indiana, #99 Illinois, #104 Iowa

B1G rush defense:

#8 Michigan St, #14 Ohio St, #22 Northwestern, #24 Penn St, #25 Wisconsin, #52 Michigan, #64 Iowa, #74 Minnesota, #79 Purdue, #92 Nebraska, #96 Illinois, #119 Indiana

SEC rushing offense:

#11 Texas A&M, #16 Alabama, #39 Florida, #43 Georgia, #51 Missippi, #52 LSU, #58 Vanderbilt, #62 Tennessee, #80 Auburn, #84 Mississippi St, #89 Kentucky, #90 Missouri, #91 South Carolina, #107 Arkansas

SEC rush defense:

#1 Alabama, #4 Florida, #9 LSU, #17 South Carolina, #19 Arkansas, #26 Mississippi, #35 Texas A&M, #39 Vanderbilt, #50 Missouri, #63 Kentucky, #69 Miss St, #80 Georgia, #87 Tennessee, #100 Auburn,

B1G has more teams top 25 in rushing offense, and just as many teams in the top 25 rush defense. The reason Alabama's Rush defense looks as good as it does, they only faced ONE team in the top 25 in rush offense. As for facing rush defensive teams, they only faced 3 top 25 rush defenses, and that's including Notre Dame. You would think, if they had that good of a rushing offense, they would rank higher than #16th with facing only 3 teams in the top 25.

It just seems like you made a bunch of excuses for the success of Abdullah and Barner, yet Lacy was all individual and god-given. Do you see the double standard I'm seeing?

Pretty much every player's-regardless of position-success can be largely accredited to playing in the proper system with the proper style. Abdullah fits Nebraska's up-tempo, sideline to sideline style a little better than Burkhead even did. But I wouldnt use Ameer in a pro I set, power game and expect as much consistency and success as I would with Rex.

I also stated Barner was better than Ameer.

And isn't that what makes a running back good? Their all around ability? Catching, blocking, running inside, outside, vision? Thats what I've said the whole time. Ameer is above average, but he isn't that great.

Edit - Yes, I see the double standard... But the fact is, Alabama doesn't run a "gimmick" (according to most people) offense that tries to speed it up and hit you with a big play just because we're ready and you're not. It is a perfectly reasonable playing style, and it certainly benefits certain players, but there is a reason Kenjon Barner wasn't the first RB drafted. I'd say that if you put Ameer in Alabama's offense, he'd get MESSED up. If you put Lacy in our offense, he would do better than he did with Alabama - and thats how I judge how good you are. Same with Barner, in Alabamas offense, he'd be unspectacular.

I have already stated that 6 of our 14 games were against top 25 rush defenses. Iowa is usually right up there in rush defense, but if other teams were put in the same predicament were in against Iowa, they wouldn't have had a successful rush attack either. It was so windy and cold, you couldn't throw it. We still got 200 yards on the ground, with them knowing what was coming at them.

This is where the B1G ranked in rushing offense:

#8 Nebraska, #10 Ohio State, #13 Wisconsin, #19 Northwestern, #41 Michigan, #59 Purdue, #68 Minnesota, #77 Michigan St, #85 Penn St, #96 Indiana, #99 Illinois, #104 Iowa

B1G rush defense:

#8 Michigan St, #14 Ohio St, #22 Northwestern, #24 Penn St, #25 Wisconsin, #52 Michigan, #64 Iowa, #74 Minnesota, #79 Purdue, #92 Nebraska, #96 Illinois, #119 Indiana

SEC rushing offense:

#11 Texas A&M, #16 Alabama, #39 Florida, #43 Georgia, #51 Missippi, #52 LSU, #58 Vanderbilt, #62 Tennessee, #80 Auburn, #84 Mississippi St, #89 Kentucky, #90 Missouri, #91 South Carolina, #107 Arkansas

SEC rush defense:

#1 Alabama, #4 Florida, #9 LSU, #17 South Carolina, #19 Arkansas, #26 Mississippi, #35 Texas A&M, #39 Vanderbilt, #50 Missouri, #63 Kentucky, #69 Miss St, #80 Georgia, #87 Tennessee, #100 Auburn,

B1G has more teams top 25 in rushing offense, and just as many teams in the top 25 rush defense. The reason Alabama's Rush defense looks as good as it does, they only faced ONE team in the top 25 in rush offense. As for facing rush defensive teams, they only faced 3 top 25 rush defenses, and that's including Notre Dame. You would think, if they had that good of a rushing offense, they would rank higher than #16th with facing only 3 teams in the top 25.

OK. Now how many rushing attempts per game do those teams average? The first SEC team is Bama, at 23, with FOUR B1G teams ahead of them.

So yes, the numbers are a bit skewed since if you run the ball more per game, you're going to get more yards per game on the ground, on average. So, the B1G runs the ball more, thus they get more ypg. Lets look at YPC, since that doesn't factor in if a team spends all game running the ball. http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/ncaaf/stats/team-rushing-offense

Then, how many YPC do you typically give up - which shows how many yards you tend to give up when a team runs against you.

Oh what do you know... 4 SEC teams in the top 10 and not a single B1G team.

http://content.usato...rushing-defense

Odd, looks like the SEC has better defenses. Weird how that works...

The link you provided, shows Michigan St at #8.. hmmmm..... Are you sure not one single B1G team is on that list? Oh yeah, we also had over 300 rushing yards against them, 200 from Martinez and over a 100 from AA.

I agree with your analysis that AA is above average, but your only as good as the line infront of you. We have a very good rush protection o-line. Had it have been better in pass protection, I think it would have opened the running game much more than it was last year, thus giving Rex and AA more yards on the ground.

Its also easier for those top teams in the SEC to get their rating up when most of their schedule doesn't have a dominant rushing offense, hence Alabama and their schedule.