Abdullah 2013 Rushing Estimate

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. Not because he isn't one Bad Mutha either, because he is a badass dude with the rock in his hands. I voted no because with this WR group, and all of Taylor's work in the passing game, I imagine the focus this year will be on establishing and utilizing those tools.

Plus, if this coaching staff has a f'ing clue (sometimes I wonder), they will get some reserve RB's plenty of carries. We need more depth, and more experience at the position. I know the coaches know their stuff, but getting players in game reps and having a healthy rotation at each position has been a huge failure of this staff in my opinion.

If the players aren't ready, why force them in the game. We depended on Rex was that last back to come in right away, fit to back up an experienced back. That was 09. Since then we've had guys like Dontravious Robinson (came in the same years as Rex), Braylon Heard in 2010 (didn't play til the following season due to qualification), Aaron Green (5* back), Ameer Abdullah (3* ATH), & Imani Cross. Along with a few walk ons. None of those guys showed anything that warranted them to receive more carries. They were talented but there's more to playing RB than taking the hand off and running. (In that case, Braylon Heard would have stepped in before Ameer) Especially in 2011 when the top priority was to protect the QB whom we had NOBODY to replace him if he was to go down with injury.

I trust the staff knows what they are doing even if I don't understand and/or agree with what they are doing.

He'll probably have another 1000+ yard year if he stays healthy, but I highly doubt he gets to 1500. The depth and talentat RB is similar if not better than 2010 when Helu and Martinez both went 1000+ and Rex went 990. Not to mention there's just too much talent all over the field for Abdulla to see enough carries to hit 1500 yards.

2010:

Roy Helu - 1245 yards

Rex Burkhead - 951 yards

Taylor Martinez - 965 yards

Yeah I pulled the yards gained not net. You're just too quick for my editing skills... :hmmph

That's still REALLY IMPRESSIVE IMO.

Ameer is a good back but no the caliber back those 3 guys are so I don't see him doing that even if we had no quality depth behind him. Truthfully you don't have to have 1500 yards to have a successful year. Every year around 10 backs in college football run for 1500 yards. Half of them are usually from non AQ conferences where they don't face the caliber of athletes consistently in conference that they top programs face, the others are usually the best RBs in any particular draft. I love Ameer but he's not that guy.

I see him getting around 1200-1300 if he stays healthy and given the new guys aren't young game changers that demand more carries.

I am not sure how you don't see Abdullah breaking 1500 if he was our only quality RB. I think if he was the only person to feed the ball to, he would easily break it IMO, because of our schedule strength, and for the fact that he was over 1100 yards with Rex being the starter when he was healthy. Had Rex not been healthy, he would have been VERY close last year with most of our games being against top 25 rush defenses.

Then you state you see him getting 1200-1300 this season, with sharing the ball, but he couldn't get an extra 200-300 if he wasn't?

As been stated already, even if he was our only quality RB.....there is still other factors to our game that you have to consider........Like the fact that Martinez will get his yards on the ground. Also, we have the most talented group of WRs that NU has seen in a long time, or arguably ever.

And you make it seem like Rex took a good deal of the season from Ameer.........Rex ran 3 plays in the first game and was out until the Idaho St game where he rushed 8 times. The next game and the Bowl game are the only times he rushed around 20 attempts. Ameer was the feature back this year.

And what Husker schedule was you looking at? Most of our teams we faced were top 25 rushing defenses.......I count two. Michigan St #7 & Northwestern #19...........Wisconsin was #30, Michigan #55, Iowa #62, UCLA #70........shall I keep going.....c'mon don't drag it out.

It's not a knock on Ameer. He's a good back and he will be successful this year. 1500 yards is not an easy task for most backs. As I pointed out only 3 of our backs have done that in NU's history (Rozier twice). I didn't say anything that takes a rocket scientist to understand. And it's nothing different from what other posters have stated in this thread already, yet, you choose to rebuttal my post........????. Oh, well.

Now this year we will see a more favorable schedule, especially when looking at the defenses, but as stated before, there are other weapons in our offense that will come forth on Saturdays as well as some promises that was made to two young backs coming in along with Cross/Frazier trying to make a case for themselves. But regardless if none of the other guys at the position pan out and Ameer stays healthy, Beck is not going to throw the load on Ameer, because Beck likes for the offense to be able to move the ball through the air, Ameer still has a problem with fumbles, and our QB is just as dangerous as any on the ground.

I aint gonna lie. I dont see Abdullah getting a 1000 yards rushing this year. Call me crazy. Here's why.

5th year senior qb. 4th as a starter. 3rd years in same system with same coordinator. Playing with a group of 3 WR's with which this will be the 3rd year playing with 2 and the 4th playing with the other. Talented young backs and I truly believe Cross is going to be our thumper type back. Seriously, there just isnt enough room within the production table for a running back to be dominant enough to gain 1000 yards rushing alone. Also, defense. I think we're gonna find ourselves in some shootouts this year with Taylor having to sling it all over the yard. I think he's capable as well. Like was said before, this season is about #3

It's not all that crazy. It's more realistic than believing he will get 1500 yards. He'd be the first in Lincoln since Ahman Green. But I think he does at least get 1000 if he's stays healthy. Like HuskerNationNick pointed out......the 1st 5 games are in Lincoln and the next two games are vs Purdue & Minnesota.....UCLA's rushing defense ranked #70 last season, but I think they'll be much better this year as their players were young and they have a great staff, but other than that, no chance of any of the other defenses keeping NU from doing much. We will have one of the most high powered offenses in the nation, IMO.

As been stated already, even if he was our only quality RB.....there is still other factors to our game that you have to consider........Like the fact that Martinez will get his yards on the ground. Also, we have the most talented group of WRs that NU has seen in a long time, or arguably ever.

And you make it seem like Rex took a good deal of the season from Ameer.........Rex ran 3 plays in the first game and was out until the Idaho St game where he rushed 8 times. The next game and the Bowl game are the only times he rushed around 20 attempts. Ameer was the feature back this year.

And what Husker schedule was you looking at? Most of our teams we faced were top 25 rushing defenses.......I count two. Michigan St #7 & Northwestern #19...........Wisconsin was #30, Michigan #55, Iowa #62, UCLA #70........shall I keep going.....c'mon don't drag it out.

It's not a knock on Ameer. He's a good back and he will be successful this year. 1500 yards is not an easy task for most backs. As I pointed out only 3 of our backs have done that in NU's history (Rozier twice). I didn't say anything that takes a rocket scientist to understand. And it's nothing different from what other posters have stated in this thread already, yet, you choose to rebuttal my post........????. Oh, well.

Now this year we will see a more favorable schedule, especially when looking at the defenses, but as stated before, there are other weapons in our offense that will come forth on Saturdays as well as some promises that was made to two young backs coming in along with Cross/Frazier trying to make a case for themselves. But regardless if none of the other guys at the position pan out and Ameer stays healthy, Beck is not going to throw the load on Ameer, because Beck likes for the offense to be able to move the ball through the air, Ameer still has a problem with fumbles, and our QB is just as dangerous as any on the ground.

#8 Michigan St

#14 Ohio St

#22 Northwestern

#24 Penn St

#25 Wisconsin x2

6 of our games were against top 25 rush defenses. Link

Where your getting your facts, I have no idea.

Rex took 100 carries. That is a considerable amount. Again, I stated the reason I see him doing it, is because of the lack of rush defense on our schedule. We had 6/14 games against top 25 rush defenses, and next year, we will have what, 3 maybe? If that? Honestly, the only team I see on our schedule who could have a top 25 defense is Northwestern. They don't lose key defensive players like everyone else does.

What makes it much more possible for Abdullah than these previous RB's that you keep throwing out there, is the pace of the game. Its much faster, and you get more attempts in. Your right, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this.

By the way, your the only person who stated he wouldn't get there, even if we didn't have depth at RB. That is why I "chose to rebuttal your post".

Like I stated in my previous posts, I don't see him getting it, ONLY because he won't the only person we will be feeding the rock to. We have too many hungry mouths to feed, that can bring a different dimension to the game.

IF IF IF....... we play 14 games this year, Abdulla can average just over 100 per game and get to 1500. I think he does that because he will be the main guy. Cross is a short yardage back and the two Frosh will get less combined carries than what Rex got when he finished with 900 and change. Take a couple 100 from Rex. Add them to Helu. DONE DEAL

IF IF IF....... we play 14 games this year, Abdulla can average just over 100 per game and get to 1500. I think he does that because he will be the main guy. Cross is a short yardage back and the two Frosh will get less combined carries than what Rex got when he finished with 900 and change. Take a couple 100 from Rex. Add them to Helu. DONE DEAL

I also see Abdullah having 150+ in a few games this year, which will allow him some cushion for the games he struggles. I see no reason why he doesn't bust over a 100 against Wyoming, Southern miss, UCLA, SDSU, Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn St. All these teams, besides Penn St were 50th or below last year on rush defense. Michigan loses a few defensive lineman, and Penn St loses their quality Senior LB's. With the depth issues they have, their defense won't be close to what it was last year. They will still be a threat, but nothing like last year IMO.

#8 Michigan St

#14 Ohio St

#22 Northwestern

#24 Penn St

#25 Wisconsin x2

I went back and looked at the stats and notice the list I was looking at had them in order of rushing yards given up for the season. Stats can be manipulated in any way to support any person's opinion so I'll just leave it as, if you look at the match ups vs each team, NU put up over 200 yards (over 300 vs MSU) against each of those teams. Is that a result of a great rushing attack or the fact that their match ups where as they held a team under their average was a team that didn't utilize the rushing attack nearly as much as they depended on the passing.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&cat2=Rushing&conference=I-A_all&year=2012

By the way, your the only person who stated he wouldn't get there, even if we didn't have depth at RB. That is why I "chose to rebuttal your post".

It doesn't really that I said "even if we didn't have quality depth" because I'm still giving the same answer as others, but since you love to debate then I'll give you the attention.

-If one or two of the back ups turn out to be studs.....they will get more carries thus keeping AA from getting the carries he need to get there.

-If all of them turn out to be duds, AA will be the only quality back. I highly doubt that will cause Beck to give him more carries because we don't want him to sustain an injury, and also, there's still Turner/Bell/Eunuwa/Westerkamp/etc....

-I see you are ignoring the fact that only 3 guys in our history has eclipsed that # in a season. It's not like AA has shown more than the next guy that he could be that guy to do so even with the talented receiving corps.

-How many guys have run for that amount of yards running a 4.5 40?.........not many if any....AA isn't much faster than Rex.

I mean really.......if I was a better man, I would happily place a wager that Ameer doesn't exceed anymore than 1300 yards this season. That's not a bad year. It's actually a damn good year, in this system.

Like I stated in my previous posts, I don't see him getting it, ONLY because he won't the only person we will be feeding the rock to. We have too many hungry mouths to feed, that can bring a different dimension to the game.

Okay.....you gave the reason why you don't see him getting it, I gave my reason. So, what......we both still said the same thing. But if you still feel the need to argue be my guess.

#8 Michigan St

#14 Ohio St

#22 Northwestern

#24 Penn St

#25 Wisconsin x2

I went back and looked at the stats and notice the list I was looking at had them in order of rushing yards given up for the season. Stats can be manipulated in any way to support any person's opinion so I'll just leave it as, if you look at the match ups vs each team, NU put up over 200 yards (over 300 vs MSU) against each of those teams. Is that a result of a great rushing attack or the fact that their match ups where as they held a team under their average was a team that didn't utilize the rushing attack nearly as much as they depended on the passing.

http://rivals.yahoo....A_all&year=2012

Rushing YPG can be manipulated in many ways?! Are you kidding me dude? Its as simple as it sounds. Its the average number of yards allowed in rushing throughout your whole season, just not sure how that can be manipulated. I stated that most of our games were against top 25 rush defenses and YOU argued the fact that we didn't. When someone disagrees with you, its them arguing with you, but what the hell are you doing when you try to belittle everyone's post?

#8 Michigan St faced these top 25 teams in rushing offense, and still remained #8 in rush defense-

#8 Nebraska

#10 Ohio State

#13 Wisconsin

#19 Northwestern

Just not sure how their rush defense can be manipulated when they faced such great rushing teams. Same goes for the rest of those teams mentioned above. I guess everyone in the top 25 rush defense's stats aren't really that good and are just manipulated too.

Abdullah ran a 4.3X coming out of high school. He has gained weight since and he is still a low 4.4, and he is a LOT faster than Rex. His 40 is faster, and his top end speed is faster.

I could care less what Abdullah ends with, since I have said that he will not be our only person getting the rock.

What does any previous RB's have to do with 2013, and Ameer Abdullah? I am just unsure what the hell you are trying to argue about here.

• Fire 1

I aint gonna lie. I dont see Abdullah getting a 1000 yards rushing this year. Call me crazy. Here's why.

5th year senior qb. 4th as a starter. 3rd years in same system with same coordinator. Playing with a group of 3 WR's with which this will be the 3rd year playing with 2 and the 4th playing with the other. Talented young backs and I truly believe Cross is going to be our thumper type back. Seriously, there just isnt enough room within the production table for a running back to be dominant enough to gain 1000 yards rushing alone. Also, defense. I think we're gonna find ourselves in some shootouts this year with Taylor having to sling it all over the yard. I think he's capable as well. Like was said before, this season is about #3

It's not all that crazy. It's more realistic than believing he will get 1500 yards. He'd be the first in Lincoln since Ahman Green. But I think he does at least get 1000 if he's stays healthy. Like HuskerNationNick pointed out......the 1st 5 games are in Lincoln and the next two games are vs Purdue & Minnesota.....UCLA's rushing defense ranked #70 last season, but I think they'll be much better this year as their players were young and they have a great staff, but other than that, no chance of any of the other defenses keeping NU from doing much. We will have one of the most high powered offenses in the nation, IMO.

Here's the kicker to my though process in regards to playing these "weaker" teams. We get the game in control at the mid stages with a more balanced attack, and then utilize the depth and get younger players work in the late stages with the game in hand. The way I expect the offense to operate, I wont be surprise to see Ameer calling it a day with only 50-75 yards rushing. Now, this is rushing yards. I fully expect to see his athleticism utilized more in the pass game if the Oline can show improvement enough to handle pass pro exclusively.

#8 Michigan St

#14 Ohio St

#22 Northwestern

#24 Penn St

#25 Wisconsin x2

http://rivals.yahoo....A_all&year=2012

Rushing YPG can be manipulated in many ways?! Are you kidding me dude? Its as simple as it sounds. Its the average number of yards allowed in rushing throughout your whole season, just not sure how that can be manipulated. I stated that most of our games were against top 25 rush defenses and YOU argued the fact that we didn't. When someone disagrees with you, its them arguing with you, but what the hell are you doing when you try to belittle everyone's post?

#8 Michigan St faced these top 25 teams in rushing offense, and still remained #8 in rush defense-

#8 Nebraska

#10 Ohio State

#13 Wisconsin

#19 Northwestern

Just not sure how their rush defense can be manipulated when they faced such great rushing teams. Same goes for the rest of those teams mentioned above. I guess everyone in the top 25 rush defense's stats aren't really that good and are just manipulated too.

Abdullah ran a 4.3X coming out of high school. He has gained weight since and he is still a low 4.4, and he is a LOT faster than Rex. His 40 is faster, and his top end speed is faster.

I could care less what Abdullah ends with, since I have said that he will not be our only person getting the rock.

What does any previous RB's have to do with 2013, and Ameer Abdullah? I am just unsure what the hell you are trying to argue about here.

Here we go again with the comprehension issue. I said stats can be manipulated to fit a persons opinion. Not rushing YPG.....in other words I was simply showing you how I had a different perception based on the list I had viewed. They had teams in order of the TOTAL rushing yards allowed by the defense, thus, for example, Wisconsin was ranked #30. But if you go by the YPG in which you pointed out, it had Wisconsin at #13 I believe. Damn bro, read my post and understand it before you get to mouthing off. I was agreeing with your post once I looked at the list......And no where did I belittle you post, don't be so emotional.

-Now here's where your credibility in your argument falls off.....Ameer Abdullah NEVER ran a 4.3 or close to it. You show me where it's recorded that he runs a 4.3. There was a journalist (Eric Olson I believe) who stated the same thing and was called on it. One of the reasons he wasn't offered at Bama was his speed. Why would they offer a kid who runs a 4.43 (Demetrius Hart) over a kid who runs a 4.3? And Rex Burkhead came out high running 4.46 official. Ameer Abdullah 4.51 official. So with his weight gain how would he be a low 4.4. And how do you know what AA's top end speed is, let alone if it's faster than Rex's. Both have been run down by LBs/DBs. I see the point you are trying to make but your statement is false.

-And it seems as though you either really have a problem understanding my references or you purposely act like you don't understand them because they go against your claims.....I mentioned previous backs, mainly 3 of our best backs in history were the only ones to eclipse 1500 yards in a season to point out that it is not an easy task, also to point out that just because a RB doesn't get to 1500 yards, doesn't mean he didn't have a good season. No one is claiming Roy Helu's Sr. season a dud....he ran for 1200+ yards. What about Rex's Jr. season where as he was the workhorse. He finished that season with 1400 yards. I mean damn man, do you just love to argue or just need attention.

We practically said the same thing, just had different reasons for why we came to the conclusion. I'm kind of lost on why you are still trying to debate with me. You don't agree with my reasoning, fine......but you're not even arguing my reasoning....you're arguing a totally different subject.

Here's the kicker to my though process in regards to playing these "weaker" teams. We get the game in control at the mid stages with a more balanced attack, and then utilize the depth and get younger players work in the late stages with the game in hand. The way I expect the offense to operate, I wont be surprise to see Ameer calling it a day with only 50-75 yards rushing. Now, this is rushing yards. I fully expect to see his athleticism utilized more in the pass game if the Oline can show improvement enough to handle pass pro exclusively.

I totally agree. I think he could easily have 100 yards by the half in the first few games though. But otherwise yes, we have such a favorable schedule, it's the perfect year to get our young backs up to speed with the game without taking away from our production on the field too much. Only issue I see as far as Ameer's production over all is if one of the guys behind him show themselves to be a hell of a player. That's a great issue to have though.