Would Tommie Frazier make it today? Stewart Mandel answers this crucial question

Why the facepalm? Never heard of the Turmanator? KC is right, and we saw it happen.

Joe Daily consistently looked good one play and so horrible the next. Turman although not flashy was consistent. Daily repeated this pattern at NC (I watched him in many of the games he started there) and never would have led any of our teams to a NC.

Why the facepalm? Never heard of the Turmanator? KC is right, and we saw it happen.

Joe Daily consistently looked good one play and so horrible the next. Turman although not flashy was consistent. Daily repeated this pattern at NC (I watched him in many of the games he started there) and never would have led any of our teams to a NC.

Dailey was recruited to play in Solich's run-based offense and got tossed into the fray as a West Coast QB despite clearly not having the skills necessary to succeed. I'm pretty sure that had a lot to do with why he looked good on one play and horrible the next.

I like the Matt Turman legend as much as anyone, but people also seem to forget that he was so ineffective against Kansas State that Osborne put Berringer in the 2nd half when he really shouldn't have been on the field, flak jacket or not. I doubt we beat Colorado or Miami with him. 1994 would've been just another year where we steamrolled weaker teams who couldn't stop us had they been in the huddle with our offense, and losing to strong teams that could shut down a one-dimensional offense.

It's simply an example that you could put in even a decent QB (which Turman wasn't) and win with that team.

With that O Line, the toughest receivers (not most talented) we've ever had at Nebraska, Lawrence Phillips at RB and a bone-crunching defense, which of these QBs would have failed to get us a Big 8 title during the Frazier years?

Scott Frost

Eric Crouch

Jammal Lord

Joe Dailey

Zac Taylor

Sam Keller

Joe Ganz

Zac Lee

Cody Green

Taylor Martinez

We all know Frost, Crouch and maybe Joey Ganz would have gotten us not only the conference title but probably also into the National Championship hunt. I'd throw Taylor Martinez in there, whose run-first skills lend themselves better to Osborne's offense than Watson's/Beck's. Jammal Lord would likely have excelled on those teams, and almost certainly would have gotten us the Big 8 championship and possibly the National Championship game.

Even though Zac Taylor, Zac Lee and Sam Keller had entirely opposite skill sets to what Osborne needed, I'd venture to say they could have gotten us at the very least a Big 8 championship.

The weakest guys on this list are Cody Green and Joe Dailey, and I'd put $$$ down that they'd have, at the very least, gotten us the Big 8 title each of Frazier's four years. Not much doubt in my mind.

+1 I would argue that Cody Green has already proven that he developed into a pretty decent QB (11 wins in conference USA). Joe Daily never did this. Joe Ganz was also a pick six machine at times. No... I do not care fof those Joes...

But by the time he got to NC, he was mentally fried. It's impossible to speculate how good he couldve been had Solich been retained and he had a continuingly developing Pelini defense behind him. I bet he would'a been pretty good. Hell, the kid was unanimously deemed our savior before even stepping foot on campus.

But by the time he got to NC, he was mentally fried. It's impossible to speculate how good he couldve been had Solich been retained and he had a continuingly developing Pelini defense behind him. I bet he would'a been pretty good. Hell, the kid was unanimously deemed our savior before even stepping foot on campus.

We do that a lot around her. See the 2013 defense :)

Joe Ganz was also a pick six machine at times.

I was going to prove this wrong but then I looked at the stats.......yeah, four of them in 16 games isn't very good, especially if you also add in the intercepted option pitch (technically a fumble) against Clemson. Yikes.

• Fire 1

We do that a lot around her. See the 2013 defense :)

Or Harrison Beck. Or Cody Green. Curt Dukes (there's one hasnt been mentioned in a while, heh heh). Sam Keller was too if I recall, but he turned out decent at least.

I was going to prove this wrong but then I looked at the stats.......yeah, four of them in 16 games isn't very good, especially if you also add in the intercepted option pitch (technically a fumble) against Clemson. Yikes.

Is this a typo? Or sarcastically serious? Really only 4 picks in 16 games? Maybe 5? Isnt that pretty good? Or am I just dingy?

Is this a typo? Or sarcastically serious? Really only 4 picks in 16 games? Maybe 5? Isnt that pretty good? Or am I just dingy?

I think 4 pick 6's....not interceptions as a whole

How many did martinez have last year or the year before? Anyone know? Seems like he has a similar issue.

Well I'll second the Joe Dailey facepalm.

There's another thread here about the Most Boneheaded Plays, and Dailey's name came up for running out of bounds too early and too easily.

Quarterbacking is really about the leadership intangibles, and Tommie Frazier was all about the will to win. They don't win the '94 Orange Bowl with Brooke Berringer, and if they don't win that game, we're probably not having this conversation.

Those '94 and '95 teams were awesome, and maybe we could have gone just as far with a couple of the quarterbacks listed, but the Huskers had a coupled decades worth of great defenses, top-flight offensive lines, and a deep pipeline of running backs, and it still took a Tommie Frazier to make a good team legendary. So yeah, give him the credit.

• Fire 2

How many did martinez have last year or the year before? Anyone know? Seems like he has a similar issue.

4 that went for touchdowns, Accountability. kc, Taylor had two last season. One in 2011.

(bangs head on desk) Now i see it. I thought it just said "pick machine". Good grief, my selective reading disorder must be in high gear today.

There's another thread here about the Most Boneheaded Plays, and Dailey's name came up for running out of bounds too early and too easily.

Quarterbacking is really about the leadership intangibles, and Tommie Frazier was all about the will to win. They don't win the '94 Orange Bowl with Brooke Berringer, and if they don't win that game, we're probably not having this conversation.

Those '94 and '95 teams were awesome, and maybe we could have gone just as far with a couple of the quarterbacks listed, but the Huskers had a coupled decades worth of great defenses, top-flight offensive lines, and a deep pipeline of running backs, and it still took a Tommie Frazier to make a good team legendary. So yeah, give him the credit.

I know Joe takes a bad rap for that play. But he was taught over and over by the clownahan bunch not to take hits. Now, it wouldve been nice to see him just take matters into his own hands and go for it, but when your taught like he was not to, it becomes second nature not to. Besides, he wasnt makin it to the endzone anyway, and that game was lost long before that play. I'll stick to my standing up for Joe. He was put in a terrible position here, and the perception of him is sorely skewed.

I know Joe takes a bad rap for that play. But he was taught over and over by the clownahan bunch not to take hits. Now, it wouldve been nice to see him just take matters into his own hands and go for it, but when your taught like he was not to, it becomes second nature not to. Besides, he wasnt makin it to the endzone anyway, and that game was lost long before that play. I'll stick to my standing up for Joe. He was put in a terrible position here, and the perception of him is sorely skewed.

Maybe that was second nature, but I think first nature is to instinctively do whatever you can to accomplish your task when you know that you only have one chance to do it. That was my first Husker game in person. Bitter.

Then why did Cody adjust better?