Besides the big N

huskerguy

Baylor fans in my opinion are the closest to Nebraska fans. They are very respectful of other teams, unless someone intentionally tries to piss them off. Never heard a problem with them Baylor boys/girls

Baylor fans were very respectful at the game I went to there but I don't think they have enough support to be called the second best fans behind us.

I have to go with Tennessee. They're the only school I think that can give us a serious run for out money. One of my friends is a big vols fan and from what I hear the tailgating there is second to none. The fans get a little restless sometimes but it's because they're spoiled and used to being very good, just like us. Their sea of orange is pretty impressive too.

I suggest that a definition of "best" be described in order to pick the best fans.

1) sell out stadium at home.

2) large contingent to away games, as well as, bowl games.

3) loud and spirited, but not mean and brawling

4) sports-like respectfulness of opposing teOhio STate seems to fit into these categories. In the past LSU and Arkansas has. CU doesn't meet any of the 4 and Michigan (personql witness) and Missouri have blown 3 and 4.

I have been to just about every major football stadium. I have never had a bad time anywhere. Most college football fans are not students. You get what you get when you view them as the representative of the university and normally that depends on security.

Overall though the most obnoxious fans that I have ever encountered are LSU fans, at home, at nite. Really different there.

The sell out steak is at 71 for volleyball by the way, which is about five years worth of games. We also set an attendence record for any college volleyball game at the quest center, and, as I have said before, we live in a very low population state. Pennsylvania has Philidelphia, Pittsburgh, and is right next to other major population centers, and yet still cant sell out their stadium. If one out of every 20 people from just philidelphia showed up to the games, you would fill the stadium. We have to have that same number of people from our entire state show up to fill ours. If I am apparantly just a bandwagon fan for volleyball, than you name me a PSU sport that you follow other than football, and back it up. By the way, look at the number of all americans for volleyball were native nebraskans even if they didnt play for us. You would probably be surprised that we produced more all americans out of our high schools than any other state other than California, which has about 50 times the amount of people, but those must all be bandwagon fans... right?

I have to agree that Iowa fans are rediculous, being from Iowa you should have heard these people before the season started. Oh we are going to go to the national championship no one can beat us blah blah blah................and Iowa State did what to you.......................Oh yeah beat your a$$.....................way to go Iowa. I'm tired of hearing about Iowa all of the time I'm a Florida fan come the Outback Bowl!!!

I have to agree that Iowa fans are rediculous, being from Iowa you should have heard these people before the season started. Oh we are going to go to the national championship no one can beat us blah blah blah................and Iowa State did what to you.......................Oh yeah beat your a$$.....................way to go Iowa. I'm tired of hearing about Iowa all of the time I'm a Florida fan come the Outback Bowl!!!

It's ridiculous not rediculous. You sure you are from Iowa?? ;)

:wtf I suspect you are a counterfeit Hawk. :dumdum

Oh we are going to go to the national championship no one can beat us blah blah blah................

Sounds like the typical NU fan for the last 30 years. Guess what? NU hasn't played for an NC every year the fans predicted it either.

:yeah I have the same problem, only reversed, I am an Iowan that works in Ne. I have always liked the husker football team AND HAVE WATCHED AND FOLLOWED THEM SINCE THE '60'S. But their arrogant fans suck. Arrogant jacka$$es suck no matter what team they follow and Ne seems to have more than their share.

I don't know how many times I have been given sh1t just because I wear a hawkeye or clone shirt to work. Why do you like them?? They don't win! They suck! I can't seem to get it through their thick heads that some folks like the teams from their state out of loyalty not their record. Iowa and ISU fans have stuck through many losing seasons when most husker fans would have bailed. Just look around these boards to see hate and discontent from one losing season! Hell you fired a coach that had one 7-7- season! His 9-3 season was headed for mediocrity! Don't tell me about great fans. History tells the story. dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

To quote many huskers on this board "we'll always be ne, you'll always be (insert belittled team here). Arrogant.

Thanks for playing. :horns2:horns2

Clone,

Your last sentence pretty much sums it up. As a group we are no better than any other program as fans. We actually are a little worse with the newer generation counted. Demanding to win every game. It just does not happen and not matter how much I like BC I do not see that happening either. We will return to the top of college football (top 10) and occasionally get the sniff of a NC game. In honesty that is good enough for me.

Younger Nebraska fans are very unrealistic, in their judgement of our team and our competition.

Sounds a little bit like jealousy to me.... You think we are arrogant? Go to the UMGOBLUE.com and check out the thread entitled best college football tradition, and look at the number of idiots that put Michigan ahead of Notre Dame, that being all of them. The only two things that we assert is that we have the best fans, which as I have explained is fact, and that the 95 team was the greatest of all time. Im sorry that the hawkeyes havent accomplished as much as us, and honestly I wish that they had, because I hate most of the rest of the big ten, but getting angry because we have a winning history and you dont is pretty childish.

We have the best fans if the students are not counted in the equation. Last year there was talk by the students of boycotting games. Great fans never make those remarks or even think of them. Your great fan base is all the blue hairs that most of the students hate. Without the old guard this fan base is no better than any other. Very few students remain and cheer the other team off the field, it is the old fans that respect our competition. That is what has gotten us the best fans title.

What are you talking about skers? There was no attempt or talk of an attempt to boycott any of the games last year, and the students are the first to show up and the last to leave. I dont know if you get there an hour and a half before the game starts when the gates first open, but if you do, than you should know that the student section is full an hour before the game, and not one of those nice induvidual seats in west stadium has a soul in it. We chant the recruits names, we start the cheers, and we have so many people getting into the games that many dont have seats, and are just standing in the aisle. Do you stand the whole game... No. How are we supposed to cheer the other team off of the field when the exit on the far side of the stadium.... We cheer our team over to our section, where they sing the school fight song with us, which everyone stays for. Sorry we dont vacate our spot, leave the band to serenade the team, and head all the way over to the other side of the stadium the cheer the opposing team.

You are very wrong on the boycott. It was discussed on many boards and even some students on the BigHuskerFan echoed it.

I am not at many home games. But the best fan title came from cheering our opponents win or lose. Not the student section.

I appreciate that we have a strong student backing, but pretty much every power does. There are very few differences between ours and any of the others. Other than we as locals think ours are the best. See MIchigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Florida STate, Texas, A&M and Texas Tech. We as a program are respected but most feel their fans are the best no matter yours or my thoughts.

Most Texas Tech fans stand for the whole game, not just students. I have stood for every game I have attended, and have for as long as I can remember.

But bare in mind alot of those that are not students, were at one time, some recent and alot before you were born. Your the new kids on the block, some of us have been doing these things since before your parents were born.

We have the best fans if the students are not counted in the equation.  Last year there was talk by the students of boycotting games.  Great fans never make those remarks or even think of them.  Your great fan base is all the blue hairs that most of the students hate.  Without the old guard this fan base is no better than any other.  Very few students remain and cheer the other team off the field, it is the old fans that respect our competition.  That is what has gotten us the best fans title.

I, being a student, have no idea what you are talking about. I heard nothing about boycotting games or anything like that. As for not staying to cheer the other team off the field, the student section is on the opposite side of the stadium. Also, this year, after the game, a lot of the students stayed after wins to sing the school song.

Oh and by the way, the student section stands the ENTIRE game. The only time we sit is at halftime and during time outs. I have been to every home game for the last two years, so I can guarentee what I am saying is correct.

I would also like to assume, that if there has been a reduction in student support (from say the 80's or 90's) it has to do with the fact that the students (who I have heard used to get very good seats) have - begining sometime in the 90's - been put into a corner so that the rich blue hairs can sit for the entire game.

Sorry for the rant, but I take offense to the thought that the students don't care. I guess we will see in the years to come if the students/alumni are really as bad as you think, because after the blue hairs are gone, those will be the ones to carry on the tradition.

Look, a couple of yahoos on some website dont represent the entire student body. There was zero discussion of this on campus, or in our newspaper, or in classes, or anywhere else I assume that students get info from. Yes, part of our reputation is being polite and clapping for the other team as they leave the field, but I say again, we dont get to pick where our seats are, and they happen to be on the opposite side as the opposing team exits, so cheering for them is IMPOSSIBLE! The blue hairs, that is 95% of them are the ones sitting for the entire game, and the ones that we have to yell at to get up and shout in pivotal situations. We are just as much a part of the Nebraska experience and reputation as anyone else. Ask anyone here who actually has attended some games this year who is yelling the loudest, or making the experience the most enjoyable and intimidating. It is us.