Racism Alive and Well

The only problem i have with Mexican-Americans is that when they are born in America they still identify themselves are Mexicans rather than Americans. I worked with a guy like that. He was born in America but he viewed himself as Mexican than American. With a lot of illegals coming over they instill that in their children sometimes. That Mexico is their true home rather than where they were born.

And I know people who claim they are "Italian". My father says he's "Danish". My mother says she's "German".

A lot of families are proud of their heritage of what ever country their family came from. Heck, I get mailings from the Danish heritage museum in Iowa all the time asking me to belong to their group because I'm "Danish".

People are overly sensitive about this issue and it's ridiculous. Everyone should be proud of who they are and where their families came from.

+1

The only problem i have with Mexican-Americans is that when they are born in America they still identify themselves are Mexicans rather than Americans. I worked with a guy like that. He was born in America but he viewed himself as Mexican than American. With a lot of illegals coming over they instill that in their children sometimes. That Mexico is their true home rather than where they were born.

Do you mean "ALL" Mexican-Americans do this? I am aware that some do this but I would stop way short of the blanket statement you made.

Having said that, I find it somewhat annoying also when some of these folks lean a little too hard that way. It's one thing to be proud of your heritage but it's another thing to put your current citizenship behind that of another country. I had an uncle who was way too enamored with his German heritage, that annoyed me too.

I haven't lived in Nebraska in 11 years. When people ask me where I'm from, I still say Nebraska. What's the difference?

And I know people who claim they are "Italian". My father says he's "Danish". My mother says she's "German".

A lot of families are proud of their heritage of what ever country their family came from. Heck, I get mailings from the Danish heritage museum in Iowa all the time asking me to belong to their group because I'm "Danish".

People are overly sensitive about this issue and it's ridiculous. Everyone should be proud of who they are and where their families came from.

What flag would you fly? This is more about being proud. Some would rather fly the Mexican flag over the American flag.

Pictures from Little Italy...how did they come up with that color scheme of the awnings?

9.jpg

What flag is flying from the light poll the same height of the American flag?

little-italy-nyc-5.jpg

How did they come up with the color scheme of this building?

14744221-builiding-in-little-italy-area-of-new-york-painted-in-the-colours-of-the-italian-flag.jpg

The thing that's even more hilarious about it is that San Antonio's Mayor, who introduced the boy, is also Hispanic. People are just ridiculous. This is equivalent to Beyonce singing the National Anthem and people saying "Why is somebody from Africa singing the National Anthem?" It has no validity, they just sound ruhtarded.

Why did you have to bring illegal immigration into this? Obviously, if someone immigrates here, they're probably going to still hold a good amount of pride for the place they came from. I don't know much about this kid, but I don't think he is an illegal immigrant. They're proud of where they come from. Big deal! I'm pretty sure most of them love the US more than the country they came from. Why else would they have come here? You don't have to bleed get ol' American patriotism to be a patriot. The simple fact that these people wanted to come here should be enough for you. You got lucky enough to be born in the US, so don't be mad at the people who have to work their asses off to get here, but still show pride for where they came from.

What flag would you fly? This is more about being proud. Some would rather fly the Mexican flag over the American flag.

Pictures from Little Italy...how did they come up with that color scheme of the awnings?

9.jpg

What flag is flying from the light poll the same height of the American flag?

little-italy-nyc-5.jpg

How did they come up with the color scheme of this building?

14744221-builiding-in-little-italy-area-of-new-york-painted-in-the-colours-of-the-italian-flag.jpg

figure of speech.

Why did you have to bring illegal immigration into this? Obviously, if someone immigrates here, they're probably going to still hold a good amount of pride for the place they came from. I don't know much about this kid, but I don't think he is an illegal immigrant. They're proud of where they come from. Big deal! I'm pretty sure most of them love the US more than the country they came from. Why else would they have come here? You don't have to bleed get ol' American patriotism to be a patriot. The simple fact that these people wanted to come here should be enough for you. You got lucky enough to be born in the US, so don't be mad at the people who have to work their asses off to get here, but still show pride for where they came from.

Except for we are catering to them. Instead of asking them to speak English we comply with learning Spanish. I'm not mad at them. Just be grateful that their new country made them successful even though most of them broke the law coming here and were instead rewarded. Do you know what happens to you if you illegally emigrate to Mexico. jail time.

• Fire 1

How is that different from any other group of immigrants? Little Italy? Chinatown? Little German or Scandinavian communities throughout the midwest?

Give it a generation or two. The United States is a melting pot but it doesn't happen immediately.

I'm talking about the ones who were born in America.

Except for we are catering to them. Instead of asking them to speak English we comply with learning Spanish. I'm not mad at them. Just be grateful that their new country made them successful even though most of them broke the law coming here and were instead rewarded. Do you know what happens to you if you illegally emigrate to Mexico. jail time.

It's funny that you complain about us catering to illegal immigrants, when they actually make a sizable contribution to the economy. They're not costing us any money, they do jobs most Americans simply refuse to do, and they do pay taxes (they may not be income taxes, but they do pay taxes). As for telling them to learn English, that's just silly. I don't think you realize how incredibly difficult it is to learn a language as an adult, especially when you're probably working overtime just to make ends meet. I've never seen any of this "we comply with learning Spanish thing" that you're talking about. If you're talking about having to "press 1 for English", that's a very petty thing to complain about. And yes, I know that you get jail time for illegally immigrating to Mexico, but that's a pretty stupid correlation to make, considering the ridiculous amounts of problems that country has.

• Fire 2

Do you mean "ALL" Mexican-Americans do this? I am aware that some do this but I would stop way short of the blanket statement you made.

Having said that, I find it somewhat annoying also when some of these folks lean a little too hard that way. It's one thing to be proud of your heritage but it's another thing to put your current citizenship behind that of another country. I had an uncle who was way too enamored with his German heritage, that annoyed me too.

I haven't lived in Nebraska in 11 years. When people ask me where I'm from, I still say Nebraska. What's the difference?

Somebody asked you where you were from and you replied. (BTW- that is how I reply also.) I am failing to see how your example is in any way the same to what I said.

It's quite a bit different going from the state level of things to the national level. We have neighborhoods where it is 10x more likely to see a Mexican flag in somebody's front yard than it is to see a US flag. Unfortunately, those same neighborhoods are run down slums and not someplace you want to be out walking after dark. Graffiti, drive-bys, bangers all over the place. I figure if a person wants to be proud of their heritage, fine, but be proud of it and do it justice. Don't create a crime laden cesspool around it and then act like you wish it was that way everywhere. It's anecdotal but I haven't seen Mexican flags flying in any nice neighborhoods around here.

On another note- it is also about 10x more likely to see a Husker flag flying at a home here in Northern Colorado than it is to see any other college team. The thing is, if the Nebraska flags were all in one area and that area was an eyesore, then we might have some similarities to discuss.

It's funny that you complain about us catering to illegal immigrants, when they actually make a sizable contribution to the economy. They're not costing us any money, they do jobs most Americans simply refuse to do, and they do pay taxes (they may not be income taxes, but they do pay taxes). As for telling them to learn English, that's just silly. I don't think you realize how incredibly difficult it is to learn a language as an adult, especially when you're probably working overtime just to make ends meet. I've never seen any of this "we comply with learning Spanish thing" that you're talking about. If you're talking about having to "press 1 for English", that's a very petty thing to complain about. And yes, I know that you get jail time for illegally immigrating to Mexico, but that's a pretty stupid correlation to make, considering the ridiculous amounts of problems that country has.

I beg to differ. Many illegal aliens use local ER's as their primary care physician as they have no healthcare insurance. ER's take a huge hit on their budgets for unreimbursed healthcare. Plus there is the requirement to have a translator phone available for them so they can provide informed consent for the treatment.

And as always; please attack the post not the poster. Follow the rulz

I beg to differ. Many illegal aliens use local ER's as their primary care physician as they have no healthcare insurance. ER's take a huge hit on their budgets for unreimbursed healthcare. Plus there is the requirement to have a translator phone available for them so they can provide informed consent for the treatment.

And as always; please attack the post not the poster. Follow the rulz

I didn't think I attacked husker_99, but I apologize if I did!

I'm just stating facts, and the facts are that illegal immigrants not only don't cost us money, but they actually provide a much needed boost to the economy.