2013 Media Day

Some tweets from Media Day:

@CornFedSports

#Huskers VB coach John Cook (who is now an AVCA voter) did not place his team in the top 25... "They've got to earn it."

@CornFedSports

#Huskers VB separated into SEAL teams for the summer, had group training, film study and social events in small groups. #Leadership

@CornFedSports

And how did they welcome them back from summer? A quiz administered by @jcook2 about the strategy of #B1G teams.

@CornFedSports

.@KelseyRobinson_: "Coach has said it a million times, (Devaney) is like the Tahj Mahal of volleyball." #HuskerVB #GBR

@CornFedSports

#Huskers VB coach John Cook (who is now an AVCA voter) did not place his team in the top 25... "They've got to earn it."

Not sure I agree with this approach. I mean, if you're the coach of a team, sure it would be poor form to vote that team several spots above what they are expected to come in at. But it seems acceptable to vote your own team at about where they are expected to rank, or maybe a couple spots lower. Aren't we expected to come in around 10th or so, initially? I don't see the harm in voting us around 12 or 13.

What if another AVCA voter--say, the coach of a different school--opted not to vote NU in the top 25 because "they've got to earn it". Would it be okay for some other coach to do this to us? Why should our own coach vote more harshly than other coaches? Because it makes him look noble or something?

/ gets off soapbox.

@CornFedSports

Not sure I agree with this approach. I mean, if you're the coach of a team, sure it would be poor form to vote that team several spots above what they are expected to come in at. But it seems acceptable to vote your own team at about where they are expected to rank, or maybe a couple spots lower. Aren't we expected to come in around 10th or so, initially? I don't see the harm in voting us around 12 or 13.

What if another AVCA voter--say, the coach of a different school--opted not to vote NU in the top 25 because "they've got to earn it". Would it be okay for some other coach to do this to us? Why should our own coach vote more harshly than other coaches? Because it makes him look noble or something?

/ gets off soapbox.

Being as it doesn't mean anything until the end of the season - and not much then either unless you're #1 - I don't mind the "make them earn it" on anyone's part. As long as you put an honest effort into your vote one the games start, it will all even out.

Plus, it makes for a better story when we win it all! :koolaid2:

@CornFedSports

/ gets off soapbox.

Being as it doesn't mean anything until the end of the season - and not much then either unless you're #1 - I don't mind the "make them earn it" on anyone's part. As long as you put an honest effort into your vote one the games start, it will all even out.

Yeah, I can see that point of view. I just that I think that our coach should cast his vote the same for our team as any other team. Not better. No worse.

But, like you say. It's the beginning of the season so it doesn't really matter at this point.

edit: Corrected for dyslexia. lol :blink:

@CornFedSports

/ gets off soapbox.

Yeah, I can see that point of view. I just that I think our coach should cast his vote the same for our team as any other team. Not better. No worse.

But, like you say. It's the beginning of the season so it doesn't really matter at this point.

Agreed. It would be interesting to see where he thinks we could be ranked. Maybe he thinks we're a top 10 team but didn't want to put us that high but thought #20 would be an insult to the team so he just took the wait-and-see approach. Although, apparently other voters didn't have a problem putting us in the top 10.