Song question: prayer

godd2

I was looking at pump up videos to show my class since it is husker friday here in this kansas classroom....

i found one that had a rap that was done to the locker room prayer...does anyone know why performs that?

Question for the board on this: I am a Christian so I naturally I think it's pretty cool that they do "the prayer" before games... but I realize a lot of people do not share the same faith and could even be offended by the fact that the team does this at a public institution. I know Ameer Abdullah is a devout Muslim and he loves the prayer they do. But I would like to hear the thoughts of you guys who may not be "prayers" so to speak. Just curious... thanks!

I'm a Christian, and I think having the prayer is awesome. I'm not aware of anyone who's offended by it. But frankly, I wouldn't particularly care. There will always be *someone* offended by any given thing. Even the good things.

"Dear Lord, the battles we go through life...."(Christian): "Dear Allah, the battles we go through life...."(Muslim): "DearJehova, the battles....."(Jewish) "If anyone is listening, the battles..."(agnostic): and finally, "Note to self, the battles...." (atheist) The "prayer" can be used by anyone.

• Fire 1

I am honestly more surprised by the amount of people here in Nebraska, on the husker board, that I just found at didn't hold a belief. I myself am an atheist and I am always surprised to hear about like minded individuals in the Husker Nation. This prayer shouldn't offend anyone. You want a prayer that may have offended maybe look back at the Penn St prayer. Even then I considered it part of the healing process for that team and families involved.

• Fire 2

I'm not of a religious stripe at all. But I think the Husker prayer is very cool and would hate to see it used as a point of contention.

To me, it is more of a war chant than a prayer. It is a statement on self performance and good sportsmanship, a call to battle all adversity and to always acknowledge a superior opponent, when they win a game, as long as the Huskers have played to their best ability.

If I were a player, I might skip the "Dear Lord" part, but not out of any particular disrespect, rather out of respect for those who actually believe in a creator. I would feel like a phony if I were to utter insincere words that everyone around me knew meant nothing to me, in a spiritual sense. But the rest of the sentiment could apply to any serious competitor.