Zaire Anderson updates?

blkshrtz

Disagree with decision to stay in dime. We need more run help and I get tired of seeing our one LB get run-off with motion. Zaire needs to be in there.

Do you line up LBs on WRs then when they go five wide????

No. You can play nickel and use man-man coverage though. Then you have 2 LB's on the field. Surprised we didn't see that type of formation.

You'll never see Bo play without at least one high safety.

That is what he announcers said Wyoming was keying in on. Depending on 1 or 2 safeties deep, they knew which plays to run. Seems if Bo is committed to this, can't he disguise our coverages better?

Sure he can. But again, why show the whole hand in the first game against Wyoming. It's the offenses fault for the most part they were let back in the game. Put points on the board-even a field goal-at that 6 minute mark when the int happened and the games done.

I didn't watch the game but the radio broadcast made it seem like they were running 4WR sets quite frequently. Wouldn't the dime be the appropriate counter to that?

Appropriate, yes, but not a necessity. As Army_Allen stated, you could use Gerry as hybrid and disguise him as LB.

That's true, but as the opener, this might have been a case where the basics were all they had installed for the gameplan and the coaches just rode it out and demanded execution. Perhaps we'll see some different things later on. A bit of optimistic speculation.

You'll never see Bo play without at least one high safety.

I saw at least one Cover Zero man-to-man (no safeties over the top) that we got burned on. So he does do it occasionally.

So.......

Should we be doing this more often? Or not?

Hard to say. You can't judge a scheme's effectiveness by one play, whether the result is good or bad. Too many variables.

Maybe we didn't see Zaire or the defensive playbook open, because its simply our first game. Maybe Bo and the coaches simplified things to get our young defense in the groove, not giving enough respect to WYO offense? Giving up 600 yards is unacceptable, but folding on your last 3 drives, is as well. This is the first game, I will wait until the UCLA game to really judge our defense. Our offense came out flat as well. This is the VETERAN group on the field, and had they performed better, you might have seen the younger guys on the defense play better.