2 weeks in, and the "targeting" rule needs to go.

Saunders

I'm confused with the ejection part of the rule, but in the video above it is clear that the defensive player came in high, after the ball was released and made helmet-to-helmet contact before any other part of his body makes contact. Knowing the rule going in, he could have just as easily dropped his shoulder and taken the QB out at the waist. His hands didn't even go up to try to block the pass. He just made a beeline for the QB's head. By definition, clearly flagrant. I just don't find it severe enough for an ejection.

I'm confused with the ejection part of the rule, but in the video above it is clear that the defensive player came in high, after the ball was released and made helmet-to-helmet contact before any other part of his body makes contact. Knowing the rule going in, he could have just as easily dropped his shoulder and taken the QB out at the waist. His hands didn't even go up to try to block the pass. He just made a beeline for the QB's head. By definition, clearly flagrant. I just don't find it severe enough for an ejection.

Conferences and coaches are emphasizing that players keep their heads up when making a tackle, and the penalizing them for facemasks bumping. In the live broadcast they showed a 3rd angle in slow mo and the facemasks grazed each other. It was incidental head contact. I mean... he didn't even bring the QB down...

Can't hit them high, can't hit them low, can't squat down and lower your head, and if the ball carrier ducks into your lower tackle, it's your fault.

This rule is why Gregory's sack against Wyoming was a penalty.

It just makes no sense. Do they not understand the anatomy of a human body?

How are you supposed to tackle without your head leading? Walk around in a squat as if you're peeing? It's impossible to play football and tackle somebody properly without your head being in front of the rest of your body.

How are you supposed to tackle without your head leading? Walk around in a squat as if you're peeing? It's impossible to play football and tackle somebody properly without your head being in front of the rest of your body.

I tend to stand when I do this...unless it's in the morning, then it might include a slight bending over...just sayin'. lol :flush

I tend to stand when I do this...unless it's in the morning, then it might include a slight bending over...just sayin'. lol :flush

the point is that even if you're standing it's still poor tackling form :lol:

Conferences and coaches are emphasizing that players keep their heads up when making a tackle, and the penalizing them for facemasks bumping. In the live broadcast they showed a 3rd angle in slow mo and the facemasks grazed each other. It was incidental head contact. I mean... he didn't even bring the QB down...

Can't hit them high, can't hit them low, can't squat down and lower your head, and if the ball carrier ducks into your lower tackle, it's your fault.

Naw. Gregory tackled him around the neck, and he wasn't ejected for "targeting".

Naw. Gregory tackled him around the neck, and he wasn't ejected for "targeting".

Right, but there's no way that gets called 1 or two years ago. The emphasis on "safety" has officials flag happy.

Right, but there's no way that gets called 1 or two years ago. The emphasis on "safety" has officials flag happy.

Eric Martin might disagree. No biggie though.

The 'targeting' rule does need to be in football. The problem is every time the NCAA brings in a new safety rule the refs decide it's their job to flag any hit that looks rough. They need to give the benefit of the doubt to the players. Week 1 Indiana vs. Indiana State on a punt an ISU players blows up the defenseless punt returner for Indiana and he didn't have the ball. That deserves an ejection and is why the rule needs to stay. There needs to be some differentiation between incidental head-to-head contact and actual 'targeting.'

I'll preface this by saying I believe this to be a necessary rule.

But, here's one of my biggest problems with the new targeting rule, and we saw it once against Southern Miss and an Oregon player got ejected for it in week one, too.

Players sliding.

I have no problem with players sliding, but considering these two plays above, the offensive player was sliding at the same time the defender was going in to make a tackle. Unless it can be determined that the defender had a reasonable amount of time to change his trajectory, it should be a no penalty. This is the Oregon hit.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=EDZZfIiWFWg

While the player's form isn't the best, it's clear that both players were already in their respective motions when the resulting "targeting" occurred. I see no way for the defender to have changed his trajectory when both he and the quarterback started lowering their bodies at the same time. If the QB had stayed upright, that's a low tackle that would have knocked him off his feet. No harm, no foul. Instead, because the QB slid, it's targeting.

And then it happened to one of our guys last week on a pooch kick. The up back caught the ball and started sliding to the ground as our guy was lowering his body to make the tackle. Though it wasn't "targeting", we got a 15 yard penalty. Is this something that players are going to be coached to do now? If you see a defender coming right for you, slide to the ground and draw the penalty?