NFL Openings

c-husker

In coaching, a lot depends on whether the "hiring official" has a relationship with the persons under consideration. Couple that with the fact that head coaches in the NFL tend to be recycled. Put those two together and I think the likelihood of an offer for Callahan would be low.

And the Vikings? After what he went through with the Raiders, I would suspect that if he does get offered and accepts a NFL head coaching position, it will be with a team that isn't loaded with head cases...

no doubt. seriously, why would anybody want to do that unless they thought they could straighten it out. to an egomaniac its perfect but you said it. Besides, you cant teach young kids fresh out of high school to become men and establish a work ethic and learn about honor and how to act properly in the NFL. Coach C. wants a highly disciplined team. he booted incognito, suspended wali before his final game even though he is a crucial part to the rotation at the d-line. I just dont see Callahan leaving. losing some assistants seems much more likely.

It is pretty important that I make this point first:

THIS SPECULATION IS JUST THAT, AND IS BASED ON ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

OK. Here's what I'm wondering. With the NFL season winding down, it seems likely that there will be a near-record number of NFL head coaching jobs coming open. Should we be worried about Coach Callahan leaving? Even if he isn't in line for a head job (get your mind out of the gutter) new head coaches bring in new coordinators. There could be a hell of a lot of openings! I assume Coach C's financial situation is better in Lincoln than it would be as a coordinator in the NFL, but does anybody have thoughts about this?

Anything is possible, but I feel Nebraska has grown on him

I have said from day 1 that I am not a complete BC supporter..... but "not so fast my friend"...... I have really begun to change my mind !!!!!

This year, BC has shown a very deep compassion for NU football... He has gone to bat for his team (sometime too much)..... He seems to really care about these kids and the program. An example would be his "teary eyed" interview after the CU game.

I was at the Alamo Bowl, and his excitement after the game was geniune. He stressed how proud of his players, and he exclaimed once agian, that NU has the best football fans ever....

I honestly do not believe that he would want to leave this situation "AT THIS TIME".

1620 the zone just reported that BC name has not surfaced in Minnesota as reported, and that he is not on Mortensen's top 20 available list (ESPN)

** I have also said on other threads, that I do expect BC to be back in the NFL before long.... As soon as he "rebuilds" this program with a North Championship and / or a Big 12 title.... When this happens, offers will come, and he will have a hard time turning them down..... ex. Kirk Ferentz is starting to listen.... NFL $$$ talks too loudly to not listen.

I've read that his son (new UCLA grad) may be offered one of the grad assist openings!

I think that would really be cool. Father/son. I like it. Would have loved to have coached with my dad!

We played down for down with a top 5 talented team. Our coaching seemed to be better.

I think of anything that surprised me this season, it is how the players loved Cally and wanted to win. Other than the KU game, they played very, very hard for Cally. That's why I can now say

I BELIEVE!!!

Not only was UM outcoached, they were simply outplayed. That was the difference in the game. They had more talent, IMO. NU had more heart.

I have said from day 1 that I am not a complete BC supporter..... but "not so fast my friend"...... I have really begun to change my mind !!!!!

This year, BC has shown a very deep compassion for NU football... He has gone to bat for his team (sometime too much)..... He seems to really care about these kids and the program. An example would be his "teary eyed" interview after the CU game.

I was at the Alamo Bowl, and his excitement after the game was geniune. He stressed how proud of his players, and he exclaimed once agian, that NU has the best football fans ever....

I honestly do not believe that he would want to leave this situation "AT THIS TIME".

1620 the zone just reported that BC name has not surfaced in Minnesota as reported, and that he is not on Mortensen's top 20 available list (ESPN)

** I have also said on other threads, that I do expect BC to be back in the NFL before long.... As soon as he "rebuilds" this program with a North Championship and / or a Big 12 title.... When this happens, offers will come, and he will have a hard time turning them down..... ex. Kirk Ferentz is starting to listen.... NFL $$$ talks too loudly to not listen.

true, but i will tell you this, at no time has there every been as many vacancies (8) in the NFL for head coaches as now.....and those guys get canned far more frequently than college coaches......if he builds something successful and gets a raise as most would expect, he will not take the chance to go back.....he will stay at NU and enjoy the ride......you think Carroll or Weiss are going back anytime soon....hell no!! they have it made and they know it......NFL coaching sucks!!

hunter

I don't think he will leave even when he gets this program turned around. When he starts winning with the wco hes going to find out how much easier it is to recruit. The support of Neb fans once you get them behind you, is like nowhere else. I think he already knows all this.

GBR!!! :)

As the saying goes...There is no place like Nebraska. I think Cally will/already has realized he can be a coaching immortal if he builds this program to what it once was. I can't see why he would want to go back to the NFL after his first go around, but then again I'm wearing some heavily tented rose colored glasses. :power

Why the hell would Callahan's agent even say this????!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam

Meanwhile, speculation began about Callahan returning to the NFL, where he coached for nine years in Philadelphia and Oakland, including 2002-03 as the Raiders’ head coach.

Gary O’Hagan, Callahan’s agent, was asked Tuesday about the possibility of Callahan filling one of the league’s eight head coaching vacancies.

“First of all, we’re not looking,” O’Hagan said. “I can understand the speculation, but I know that Bill’s out recruiting today, and that’s his main concern.”

O’Hagan, on hand for last week’s Alamo Bowl, said he and Callahan haven’t discussed NFL job openings in recent weeks.

“I think we talked once since the bowl,” O’Hagan said. “But it was just friendly chit-chat.”

He said as of Tuesday he hadn’t received overtures from NFL teams regarding Callahan.

Why the hell would Callahan's agent even say this????!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam

Cause he's a friggin bonehead. You don't say anything unless a) You are serious, B) You have cleared it with your client. At least that's what I would do.

Let the firestorm begin I guess. :(

He said when he was first hired that he would like to coach the remainder of his career at NU. Unless he changes his mind or he would get fired (he bought himself another year -- two total to turn the program around), Cal will be here.

Cally is going nowhere. He has just earned the remaining four years of his contract. Going 8-4 isn't going to put his name at the top of ANY pro coaching search. :clap

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce

Why the hell would Callahan's agent even say this????!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam  :steam

Cause he's a friggin bonehead. You don't say anything unless a) You are serious, B) You have cleared it with your client. At least that's what I would do.

Let the firestorm begin I guess. :(

I dont see the big deal, except that when you deny something.............. <_<

He said when he was first hired that he would like to coach the remainder of his career at NU.

He also said that he didnt make a throat-slash gesture :blink:

He has just earned the remaining four years of his contract

What have you done for me lately???

Going 8-4 isn't going to put his name at the top of ANY pro coaching search.

:yeah