Government Shutdown

So....how is JJ and I owning a business a threat to individuals?

do you own a multinational corporation? because clearly i was talking about multinational corporations. the whole point of my rant was that if there were only small businesses, the gov't would have less of a role to play.

obviously i do not know the size or type of business you or jj own. i was speaking rhetorically, not addressing either of you personally.

I believe if the government needs to spend less so it has less debt over time which would cause less of the budget to be dedicated to nothing more than debt relief and interest.

Reducing spending would be one option. Alternatively, we could reduce the debt over time without cutting spending by a single cent.

You believe the services the government provides are important enough that the debt is really not an issue.

Some of them, sure. I'd be no more likely to say that all government spending is good than anyone here (I hope) would say "government is bad."

The debt is only an issue over a long period of time. And at times I would argue that incurring that debt was not only a good thing but that it was nearly a necessity.

My example shows that I believe we both actually can have what we want, but, we are stuck in the argument that everyone in Washington would actually LIKE us to be in which divides us. That gives them power.

I think that you're trying too hard to see divisions. Go find the most hardcore liberal that you can and ask them if they are think that reducing waste and increasing efficiency is a good thing. My guess is that nearly everyone would agree.

There would be less of a tax burden on people and that would help individuals and private business.

How is your tax burden these days?

You or JJ owning a business (or me partially owning a business, for that matter) isn't a threat to individuals.

The actions of your business (or my business. or JJ's business.) very well might pose a threat to individuals.

How?

Carlfense, Inc. might have owned and operated the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.

It's no wonder our government is as out of control as it is. Not only do we allow them to operate the way they do, many people are convinced it makes sense and go out of their way defending the lunacy.

You claim to not be able to understand how things work, so how are you sure that it is out of control and full of lunacy?

• Fire 1

A few thoughts and then I'm out.

We in this discussion are in basic agreement. Why it seems we are arguing opposing sides of the issue is only a result of what the powers that be in DC want. They want us divided and bickering over miniscule difference in scope. They inflate those very small differences we have to make them appear like a huge chasm. That is how they keep and retain the power and positions they have. Because, if we the people collectively ever figured out that we are basically same, that our differences are minor, they would be in for a world of hurt to their status quo. BRB and I know that some debt is good and justified just as some others in this discussion know that too much debt and wasteful spending are not good. Everybody knows these things but yet we argue about them like we are from different planets. Yes, government spending can be good. Yes, government waste can be bad. Yes, most companies provide jobs, help the economy, and are more helpful than bad. Yes, some companies abuse the system and our environment to the detriment of our country and people. Yes, the rightwing fringe of the republican party seems to be driving their current idiotic policy. Yes, the leftwing fringe of the democratic party seems to be in total control of that party. The thing we are lacking is moderate leaders and moderation in public discourse. We are too polarized. We all know these things.

It doesn't help the discourse or to find the way to any solutions if we play dumb, use hypotheticals like Carlfense Inc. owning the deepwater horizon, and try to get each other on gotcha points. The length of time we continue thinking our differences are so great is the length of time the jackoffs in Washington will keep sticking it to us.

Have a good day gentlemen and GBR this weekend.

Yes, the leftwing fringe of the democratic party seems to be in total control of that party.

How? I could provide ample evidence of the Tea Party tail wagging the GOP dog . . . but what's the equivalent on the left?

Unions? Death spiral.

Obamacare? Republican alternative to single payer.

Social policies like same sex marriage? Not a fringe position anymore.

I'm genuinely trying to come up with something . . . and I can't. Help me out.

It doesn't help the discourse or to find the way to any solutions if we play dumb, use hypotheticals like Carlfense Inc. owning the deepwater horizon, and try to get each other on gotcha points.

That's not a gotcha point . . . it's an example of a business activity harming individuals.

• Fire 1

It's no wonder our government is as out of control as it is. Not only do we allow them to operate the way they do, many people are convinced it makes sense and go out of their way defending the lunacy.

You claim to not be able to understand how things work, so how are you sure that it is out of control and full of lunacy?

I understand how things work just fine. I also understand that they could work much better. Not sure why that is such a difficult concept for you. It's not my problem if you can't recognize obvious deficiencies and problems with how our government operates. Most reasonable people will at least admit that there are indeed problems and that they aren't all solely the result of one wacko party. But you just keep on doing what you do.

Yes, the leftwing fringe of the democratic party seems to be in total control of that party.

How?

It doesn't help the discourse or to find the way to any solutions if we play dumb, use hypotheticals like Carlfense Inc. owning the deepwater horizon, and try to get each other on gotcha points.

That's not a gotcha point . . . it's an example of a business activity harming individuals.

You didn't even hear the point whizzing by your head did you? Wow.

You or JJ owning a business (or me partially owning a business, for that matter) isn't a threat to individuals.

The actions of your business (or my business. or JJ's business.) very well might pose a threat to individuals.

How?

Carlfense, Inc. might have owned and operated the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig.

OK....the original comment was that government is less than a threat to individuals than private companies.

When I asked how, you gave me Deepwater Horizon. I then will give you Waco, TX Brand Dividian Compound. Dude in Idaho that we shot up...etc. etc. etc.... And...oh BTW...I believe both of those happened under an administration from the party that people claim is more concerned about personal rights. :rolleyes:

OK....the original comment was that government is less than a threat to individuals than private companies.

When I asked how, you gave me Deepwater Horizon. I then will give you Waco, TX Brand Dividian Compound. Dude in Idaho that we shot up...etc. etc. etc.... And...oh BTW...I believe both of those happened under an administration from the party that people claim is more concerned about personal rights. :rolleyes:

so the gov't should not regulate oil companies because of how it handled a cult in waco? this is not even apples and oranges. this is apples and moon rocks.

How?

:(

Ok, I'll play along so you can turn that frown upside down.

1- I will concede that right now, the right is more whacked out and at fault than the left. We may have to disagree on generally how far left the majority of the dem party is. I certainly don't see many rational voices on either side.

2- I was not using your deepwater horizon as an example of a gotcha point. A good example of one of your gotcha points is the post about these two issues. Instead of accepting the majority of my post as common ground, you chose to find the two minor points and drive the wedge further into the gap.