Government Shutdown

1- I will concede that right now, the right is more whacked out and at fault than the left. We may have to disagree on generally how far left the majority of the dem party is. I certainly don't see many rational voices on either side.

i do *not* think that the dems are that left. but i do think they are ineffective, have been for a long time.

and i also think that what you are saying, and what we could all agree on, is that, for both parties, leadership and sanity is lacking.

So....how is JJ and I owning a business a threat to individuals?

OK....the original comment was that government is less than a threat to individuals than private companies.

That's certainly not what you said.

When I asked how, you gave me Deepwater Horizon. I then will give you Waco, TX Brand Dividian Compound. Dude in Idaho that we shot up...etc. etc. etc.... And...oh BTW...I believe both of those happened under an administration from the party that people claim is more concerned about personal rights. :rolleyes:

You're arguing with the wrong person.

1- I will concede that right now, the right is more whacked out and at fault than the left. We may have to disagree on generally how far left the majority of the dem party is. I certainly don't see many rational voices on either side.

i do think that the dems are that left. but i do think they are ineffective, have been for a long time.

and i also think that what you are saying, and what we could all agree on, is that, for both parties, leadership and sanity is lacking.

Yes, I can agree on that.

So....how is JJ and I owning a business a threat to individuals?

OK....the original comment was that government is less than a threat to individuals than private companies.

That's certainly not what you said.

When I asked how, you gave me Deepwater Horizon. I then will give you Waco, TX Brand Dividian Compound. Dude in Idaho that we shot up...etc. etc. etc.... And...oh BTW...I believe both of those happened under an administration from the party that people claim is more concerned about personal rights. :rolleyes:

You're arguing with the wrong person.

I think you need to reread the string of posts and try to understand who I was talking to and who said what.

I think you need to reread the string of posts and try to understand who I was talking to and who said what.

i said it and i was clearly not referencing small businesses. i was defending small businesses (they get left out) and lamenting the threat of multinational corporations as a defense of more gov't involvement.

:thumbs

Instead of accepting the majority of my post as common ground, you chose to find the two minor points and drive the wedge further into the gap.

Listen, I think I've said this around a dozen times in this forum: I have no doubt that if we were all sitting around over beers we'd have far more in common than differences.

That said, I don't learn anything (or get much out of) a bunch of people saying how much we agree. That's not really a discussion. I'd rather have a cordial conversation over things (or with people) that I don't agree with. I suppose that's just how I'm wired. :dunno

How is your tax burden these days?

Higher than I would like. I would find it really odd if anyone who is paying taxes doesn't say that.

No matter what my tax burden is, wouldn't it be better for the individuals who are paying taxes if we can get the same out of our government but pay in less?

Have your taxes increased dramatically?

The problem is that basically everyone (whether they admit it or not) wants the things that the government provides but they don't want to have to pay for them. Raise that other guy's taxes. I pay enough. Etc. Plus, I sure wish that they'd hurry up and fix that bridge that has been increasing my commuting time.

i do think that the dems are that left. but i do think they are ineffective, have been for a long time.

Yes, I can agree on that.

I agree that they are ineffective and with your 2nd sentence.

How is your tax burden these days?

Higher than I would like. I would find it really odd if anyone who is paying taxes doesn't say that.

No matter what my tax burden is, wouldn't it be better for the individuals who are paying taxes if we can get the same out of our government but pay in less?

Have your taxes increased dramatically?

The problem is that basically everyone (whether they admit it or not) wants the things that the government provides but they don't want to have to pay for them. Raise that other guy's taxes. I pay enough. Etc. Plus, I sure wish that they'd hurry up and fix that bridge that has been increasing my commuting time.

I'm not sure taxes have to increase dramatically or at all to have them be a burden. I can't think of one person I know that does backflips to the post office to mail of their returns every 4-15 and thank the government for the privilege of having them take what they earned.

Now services provided by the government is a different story. The problem is that is not where the tax burden ends. Tax burdens go all the way to the wasteful spending that these people do while in office. So for every cop we pay for that is providing a service with our tax dollars, we have a 1 term congressman that gets a pension.