Government Shutdown

Sorry, maybe I am missing something but how do we know who these people are or who they represent? I see no signs indicating any affiliation and everybody looks pretty normal except for the lady that apparently doesn't know how many flags and how much red, white, and blue, is enough. Based on this picture, how do we know these people should be happy the government is closed or that they want smaller govt? How do we know they're not democratic supporters protesting the republicans in the house? Seriously, anybody could be up in arms these days.

Do you see the Gadsen flags? Confederate flag? Sarah Palin and Ted Cruz spoke. Etc.

Shirley you can't be serious. ;)

I did notice the confederate flag, I always thought that was more of a southern thing or even democrat if push came to shove. And I had no idea Palin and Cruz spoke based on this picture. Like I said, maybe I was missing something, like a corresponding article or photo caption or something. Used to be the only loonies marching on Washington were dems, I guess they got pushed aside by the tea party.

And don't call me Shirley......;-)

I did notice the confederate flag, I always thought that was more of a southern thing or even democrat if push came to shove. And I had no idea Palin and Cruz spoke based on this picture. Like I said, maybe I was missing something, like a corresponding article or photo caption or something.

It was a Tea Party-ish rally. A few hundred people, if reports were correct. The Confederate flag isn't associated with the Democratic party anymore . . .

Used to be the only loonies marching on Washington were dems, I guess they got pushed aside by the tea party.

It's probably highly dependent on who is holds power at the moment. Democratic groups aren't going to march on Washington when Dems hold the Senate and the White House. Vice versa for Republicans.

I'm glad the dems are hanging tough. This kind of lock-step stand against the jihadis in congress is refreshing. It's not time to celebrate yet, but with GOP polling getting worse by the hour and a promising senate deal on the way, the Tea Party might accomplish a rare political feat. Destroying themselves without getting one damn thing in return for the effort. I think this shutdown, in spite of all the misery it's caused (and could cause if the debt ceiling is breached) will ultimately be a good thing. Americans who aren't too deluded to incorporate new information (Fox News viewers) need an education on the Tea Party, what it is, why it is, and what the results will be.

Now everyone just take a minute and let this thought float around your brain: "Sarah Palin was almost vice president."

Here's hoping for a total purge in 2014, unlikely as it may be.

How do we know they're not democratic supporters protesting the republicans in the house? Seriously, anybody could be up in arms these days.

carlfense responded very well, but i was also confounded regarding why they would be at the white house instead of the steps of congress.

I will venture to guess that if that group was quizzed, at least half wouldn't know the basic function of the legislative branch, half of that half would still blame ol' Barry, and a significant remainder would assume that anyone who does know how the government functions is a liberal elitist. After all those pocket copies of the constitution do have a lot of pages...no telling what Jefferson and Adams were able to sneak in there.

• Fire 2

Let this rattle around in your brain "Joey Biden" is the vp. yeehaw :D

Don't know if that was directed specifically at me or not, but there is quite a difference between Biden and Palin. Biden is a gaff machine, but he's also one of Obama's closers. Palin is a shrill political opportunist, and a total moron. And that's not just me giving some kind of lefty slanted analysis. She single-handedly destroyed almost every serious political connection she ever had, including with McCain (forget about her aborted governorship). Now she's left shilling books and crashing ever-dwindling tea party rallies.

But anyway. /rant

• Fire 1

BWd9MsBIMAAR5AD.jpg

Full disclosure - I actually own that red shirt with the US outline/American flag. The wife bought it for me at Wal-Mart, and different sizes of the same shirt for the whole family out of some bizarro-world belief that having everyone wear the same t-shirt for the Fourth of July would be "neat."

I have never worn this shirt.

Let this rattle around in your brain "Joey Biden" is the vp. yeehaw :D

Don't know if that was directed specifically at me or not, but there is quite a difference between Biden and Palin. Biden is a gaff machine, but he's also one of Obama's closers. Palin is a shrill political opportunist, and a total moron. And that's not just me giving some kind of lefty slanted analysis. She single-handedly destroyed almost every serious political connection she ever had, including with McCain (forget about her aborted governorship). Now she's left shilling books and crashing ever-dwindling tea party rallies.

But anyway. /rant

Actually, both are morons but I agree with your assessment of Palin.

BWd9MsBIMAAR5AD.jpg

Full disclosure - I actually own that red shirt with the US outline/American flag. The wife bought it for me at Wal-Mart, and different sizes of the same shirt for the whole family out of some bizarro-world belief that having everyone wear the same t-shirt for the Fourth of July would be "neat."

I have never worn this shirt.

Terrorist!!!!

i do not understand what the protesters want? they should be happy the gov't is closed. but i just think it is funny that they are so upset about one of the consequences of the gov't shutdown when they are the ones who want to shrink it so it could be drowned in a bathtub. what did they expect? why would national monuments be considered 'essential' for gov't spending?

but, honestly. i just wish i knew what they want and what they are protesting, especial these people:

BWd9MsBIMAAR5AD.jpg

What protest is this?

Biden strikes me as more than competent (outside of a few gaffes, but to judge a guy solely by that would be, well, a whole lot of malarkey ;)). Sure, that statement is open to disagreement, but it's a different kind of disagreement than the one about Sarah Palin...who as Husker_x noted, isn't a mere gaffe machine, she's a vacuous media head whose lack of substance was thoroughly put on display and (at least in my estimation) seriously damaged the candidacy of a good, serious candidate in John McCain.

There's a wing of the Republican Party that wants a default. Has for some time. This isn't political gamesmanship, this is the unfortunate reality that there are many House members who, if they don't drag this country into a default, would face possibly insurmountable challengers in the next election. Because their particular local constituencies are evidently this crazy.

• Fire 2