Government Shutdown

Hmmm...I guess being elected governor of a state and then being picked as a Vice Presidential candidate to some means not getting very far. But, that is a relative term...I guess.

Half-term governor . . . and I wonder how John McCain feels about that VP candidate selection? :P

Either way. Whether that's getting far or not . . . she is unintelligent.

I don't believe any of the three people being discussed are "unintelligent". (Biden, Bush, Palin) So, if that is the definition you are using to define if someone is a moron, then moron is the wrong term. Each of those were smart enough to get where they were in the political system.

I haven't really seen much from Biden other than his gaffes. W. Bush was incompetent but probably not a moron. Palin hit the trifecta.

Anyone who thinks that she is something other than a moron isn't paying attention.

She's not stupid but I think she is quite a bit less intelligent than a lot of her peers which in turn makes her look like an idiot, comparatively.

Hmmm...I guess being elected governor of a state and then being picked as a Vice Presidential candidate to some means not getting very far. But, that is a relative term...I guess.

Half-term governor . . . and I wonder how John McCain feels about that VP candidate selection? :P

Either way. Whether that's getting far or not . . . she is unintelligent.

You must have missed that word in my post.

This is too piddly of a subject to keep nit picking each other on. Both of us are happy that she is now no where close to being an actual leader in Washington. The only people who really care about her are some fringe whack jobs that get all wound up when she shows up and one of their rallies. Other than that, she is meaningless in the grand scheme of things in American Politics and that is where she needs to stay.

Done with subject.

Looked like the senate was actually very close to negotiating a deal to at least kick the can down the road another 3 to 4 months, and assemble another debt commission that would accomplish nothing but staging the next fiasco...but wait, there more! from the house, which needs to clutch at least one impossibly idiotic straw from their disaster...

The House will take up an eleventh-hour proposal, likely late on Tuesday, to extend government funding through mid-December, and raise the debt ceiling to early February. The new GOP offer would also strip lawmakers, their staff and members of the Obama administration of subsidies to buy insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s exchanges.

I almost fell out of my chair reading this, I can't even imagine anything more token and pathetic. Who has the stomach for more of this 3 months from now?

When I called Palin a moron I wasn't intending hyperbole. She is an intellectually vacuous human being, and this can be proven up, down, and sideways. Look closely at her term as mayor, governor, or her disastrous vice presidential bid where she was only just beginning to be seen as the American village idiot, a role she never tired of playing after the 08 campaign.

The real issue is among Tea Party conservatives she's in good company. It's really hard to substantively differentiate her squawking tirades from the slogans of the tri-cornered hat crowd, except her little nuggets of wisdom seem to find their way onto national media every few months.

But this isn't a Palin thread. Here comes the default deadline, where the Palin/Cruz/Lee/Fox News/Talk Radio political subculture has brought us. No deal on the table yet. This is kind of scary.

• Fire 3

It's easy to get votes when you just wander around screaming about "good christian values" and "joe the plumber" wheeeeeeeeeeeee

She got destroyed in all the debates, but my mom and aunt were both like, well we need someone like her representing the good american people! she's a real person not just a snake-oil salesman!

And I'm sitting there going, no, we need someone who is an expert in foreign policy, the economy, and various domestic issues. Not a bimbo whose only talent in life is garnering votes.

• Fire 3

Looked like the senate was actually very close to negotiating a deal to at least kick the can down the road another 3 to 4 months, and assemble another debt commission that would accomplish nothing but staging the next fiasco...but wait, there more! from the house, which needs to clutch at least one impossibly idiotic straw from their disaster...

The House will take up an eleventh-hour proposal, likely late on Tuesday, to extend government funding through mid-December, and raise the debt ceiling to early February. The new GOP offer would also strip lawmakers, their staff and members of the Obama administration of subsidies to buy insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s exchanges.

I almost fell out of my chair reading this, I can't even imagine anything more token and pathetic. Who has the stomach for more of this 3 months from now?

Shut down the govt and all you get for your time is the loss of your insurance plan, subsidy and have to go onto the open market for insurance. (House plan) Not what they had in mind when they started....... (still unsure what they did)

this makes me wonder how this situation would have played out if romney had won.

I'm definitely more left than right-wing in my politics, but I was one of the few who didn't think a Romney presidency would have been an unmitigated disaster. He governed in a New England state, and I have a feeling--just a suspicion--he would have been a pretty centrist president. The problem is in this day and age you have to represent yourself as a wingnut in the Republican primaries to even stand a chance of getting the nomination. But the country has moved past that as a whole. I think the Tea Party has really worn out its welcome.

• Fire 1

this makes me wonder how this situation would have played out if romney had won.

I'm definitely more left than right-wing in my politics, but I was one of the few who didn't think a Romney presidency would have been an unmitigated disaster. He governed in a New England state, and I have a feeling--just a suspicion--he would have been a pretty centrist president. The problem is in this day and age you have to represent yourself as a wingnut in the Republican primaries to even stand a chance of getting the nomination. But the country has moved past that as a whole. I think the Tea Party has really worn out its welcome.

i agree with this. i am not sure how centrist romney would have been. but i know i like mccain a lot in 2000 and romney as a governor. but to win the nomination they have to veer so far right, you have no idea how they are going to govern.

but i was just wondering if mitt would have had to deal with this and how he would have. the party may have dodged a bullet by avoiding a situation where the house republicans are in a civil war and their president is in a predicament where it is impossible for him to lead the nation, let alone his party.

on the other hand; romney would not have been able to overturn the ACA, but maybe the republicans would have been less stubborn.

• Fire 1

i agree with this. i am not sure how centrist romney would have been. but i know i like mccain a lot in 2000 and romney as a governor. but to win the nomination they have to veer so far right, you have no idea how they are going to govern.

but i was just wondering if mitt would have had to deal with this and how he would have. the party may have dodged a bullet by avoiding a situation where the house republicans are in a civil war and their president is in a predicament where it is impossible for him to lead the nation, let alone his party.

on the other hand; romney would not have been able to overturn the ACA, but maybe the republicans would have been less stubborn.

I think the thing to keep in mind here is that there is no such thing as the Republican party anymore. There is a loose collection of various incoherent factions vying for attention and influence. The party does not operate like a party, and this congress is on track to go down as the least productive and/or effective ever. If you look at the party across the aisle, Democrats have been stalwart throughout this mess. The president is in synch with the senate, and the senate aligns with the congress. There has been a clear, consistent message from basically everyone on the left since the shutdown began (and even a little before).

If Mitt had taken the white house the shutdown might have been averted, but I don't think anyone can rule the Tea Party, because they are essentially American-style terrorists. They don't blow themselves up with bombs, but they're willing to squeeze the American people they pretend to care about for no real purpose and strap figurative dynamite to the world economy if they don't get their way.

Before this disaster I thought the popular opinion of the Tea Party was that it represented a fringe minority of crazies with no real political power. Now the narrative has to correspond with the new reality: these fools are not just crazy, they're dangerous. Every second they hold sway in the Republican party is prolonging our exposure to the consequences of their lunacy. Hopefully people remember that the November after next.

It's easy to get votes when you just wander around screaming about "good christian values" and "joe the plumber" wheeeeeeeeeeeee

She got destroyed in all the debates, but my mom and aunt were both like, well we need someone like her representing the good american people! she's a real person not just a snake-oil salesman!

And I'm sitting there going, no, we need someone who is an expert in foreign policy, the economy, and various domestic issues. Not a bimbo whose only talent in life is garnering votes.

Yeah, she's a real person alright. So are the collection of morons on the people of Wal-Mart website. And they are just as qualifies as she was to be in charge of anything. Why on earth McCain picked her will be something forever beyond my ability to comprehend. I'm sorry, but the Governor of Alaska is less qualified for a major office like that than the Mayors of most major cities.

Shouldn't there be a qualification to this moron/unintelligent conversation? Biden & Palin aren't morons unless you compare them to other people in Washington. Among the general populace they're intelligent enough. They pale in comparison to their surroundings.

That's only because nearly half of the population is of below average intelligence.