Papuchis: "I was stunned"

I just read some post game notes from Pap and Kaz, seems like they plan on using more 1 gap and pressure more. This might be what alot of people have been calling for. I would think it would help against alot of running teams in the B10. :wasted

From owh:

"You can't keep doing things that guys can't do," Papuchis said. "Experimenting time is over. ...

"We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team."

"It simplifies the scheme," Papuchis said. "But the question you've got to ask yourself is are you good enough to play that way? Down after down. Can you just play single-high, gap out and pressure? You have to be pretty talented to be able to live that way every play."

It actually may not be better against the run, but that is assuming you can play two gap. Which they can't. We go to what Pap is talking about we are going to put even upon to even more pressure on the back 7 the we do already. Gotta try something. Glad to see them considering adjustments.

ok, which is it...piss poor recruiting/players or wrong scheme? doing the same thing over and over, for 2 years now, and expecting a different result...I say its coaching and f'd up scheme.

I know the defense is bad. But, ( there is always a but) offenses now days are designed to get more yards. Even Alabama gave up almost 300 yards against CSU.

The defense made 6 consecutive stops when it counted. They made adjustments yesterday.

they played SDSU yesterday, the B1G will tear our asses up.

Yes, Michigan tore up Akron and Connecticut.

I know the defense is bad. But, ( there is always a but) offenses now days are designed to get more yards. Even Alabama gave up almost 300 yards against CSU.

The defense made 6 consecutive stops when it counted. They made adjustments yesterday.

I would be thrilled if the Husker defense gave up "almost 300 yards". NU is ranked 106th in total defense right now with 464 yards per game.

If the D keeps giving up yards will this be the worst defense?

Depends on scoreboard......but Pelini gave some insight in his post game presser yesterday as to what he's going to do.

But will Pelini do it? He has a history of talking but not backing it up.

Your view of Pelini might be different than mine.

I just read some post game notes from Pap and Kaz, seems like they plan on using more 1 gap and pressure more. This might be what alot of people have been calling for. I would think it would help against alot of running teams in the B10. :wasted

From owh:

"You can't keep doing things that guys can't do," Papuchis said. "Experimenting time is over. ...

"We gotta figure out what the identity of this defense is gonna be. We may have to play a little bit different than we played in the past. We may have to be a more pressure team or a more gapped-out team."

"It simplifies the scheme," Papuchis said. "But the question you've got to ask yourself is are you good enough to play that way? Down after down. Can you just play single-high, gap out and pressure? You have to be pretty talented to be able to live that way every play."

It actually may not be better against the run, but that is assuming you can play two gap. Which they can't. We go to what Pap is talking about we are going to put even upon to even more pressure on the back 7 the we do already. Gotta try something. Glad to see them considering adjustments.

ok, which is it...piss poor recruiting/players or wrong scheme? doing the same thing over and over, for 2 years now, and expecting a different result...I say its coaching and f'd up scheme.

I don't KNOW the answer no poster on here does or they would be getting paid millions to be a coach (no matter how much they would like to think they do). I THINK it is time for a fundamental shift in philosophy in regards to run fits and gap responsibility, it appears the staff agrees or more likely I agree with them. Believe it or not guys, they know more than we do.

RUN THE BALL. STOP THE RUN. WIN THE GAME.

This is still true, especially in the B1G.

I was "stunned" also. Gave up 465 yards on defense. Not acceptable. (Again)

Why is everyone so caught up on YPG? Isn't how many points the other team scores the most important stat?

Our defense gave up 17 points in the first ten minutes of the game (which is terrible, yes) but only 3 points the next 50 minutes. I thought they played very well after the first three drives.

• Fire 1

not sure, but did they give up 500 yards to those teams in a close game?

I was "stunned" also. Gave up 465 yards on defense. Not acceptable. (Again)

Why is everyone so caught up on YPG? Isn't how many points the other team scores the most important stat?

Our defense gave up 17 points in the first ten minutes of the game (which is terrible, yes) but only 3 points the next 50 minutes. I thought they played very well after the first three drives.

This. Few people seem to give credit that the defense made stops when it counted.

a little over 400 to Akron and a little over 200 to Uconn

Didn't look and don't really care. I looked at scores, not yardage. Wyoming beat Air Force last evening 56-23. I have no idea how many yards Wyoming or Air Force had.