Pelini's Best Wins and Worst Losses

I'm saying you're being very optimistic there ;) I think they may have handled ISU and Ball st. Maybe, we really don't know how terrible we are yet considering we don't play anymore decent teams this year and I'm basing that on where our schedule will end up at the end of the season which I'm guessing might have 1-2 top 25 teams via the sympathy vote

16 rays of sunshine. Out of curiosity, do you have anything, one thing, good to say? Ever? Excuse me while I go slash my wrists.

About this staff and the current state of Nebraska Football? Ummmm, well.....let me think, no. Theres not one iota of a resemblance to anything Cornhusker now

So, 2-3 years of juco recruiting necessity, 2 losing records, complete dismantling of the interior/culture of DONU, and general malaise of 04-07 makes methink that Bo has done an even better job than previously thought.

The blowouts and collapses are confounding, and sadly, commonplace now. That just absolutely has to stop. But to come in after say, 6 yrs of systemic rot--coupled with what BBB12 has shown us--I'm really thinking we are actually on an uptick.

Given what Bo had to overcome, along with a much tougher schedule than I thought, I think he's done tremendous. I'm happy the 'scandal' broke last week, now we can just focus on playing, recruits, having fun and getting better.

BBB12--your post is why I come to huskerboard--thanks.

That first sentence shows that you basically don't know what you are talking about because don't you think that the losing record in 2004 had something to do with the total lack of talent that Frank left Bill? Why do you think that nobody wanted this job? It was career suicide because of the expectations with how far Frank allowed the program to slip under his watch. He let it become lazy to the point where players were just signing in for workouts and leaving, guys getting drunk on the bus back to Lincoln after getting their asses kicked in Mancrappin 49-13. Allowing assistant coaches to get away with stuff that I can't say in a public forum with no consequences. With that being said, I am not and never have been a huge Callahan fan, but it is just ignorant how much he gets blamed for "destroying the program" when all he did was not make it better. I will never understand why Frank gets a pass for allowing the program to slip just because he is "a Nebraska guy." IMO that makes it worse as he should have known what was expected and done everything to make sure that the program stayed at a top 15 level. Especially when he was given the team after a MNC, so he was given to keys to a porche and turned it into a beat up pinto. Yes Bill just that same Pinto it into a ditch and set it on fire, but that shouldn't get Frank off of the hook for putting the program into the toilet in the first place.

I also don't see how people can't see that a lot of Bo's early success had to do with the talent that Bill left him. Bo did a wonderful job of molding that talent and getting it to perform at its best. That is why IMO that the 2008 bowl game against Clemson is by far his best win. But nobody wins without talent, and just like Frank, Bo has not been able to replace the talent that he had (this looks worse on Frank than Bo as Frank had the program when it was on top of the world) and once they were forced to play their own players, it turned into embarrassing losses and mediocrity. At least with Bo being mediocre was a step up, but he has shown nothing to this point that he can get this team past the level that it is at now.

• Fire 1

Why did NU recruit so well during the BC years?

Was it the John Blake show then- what was the deal? I dont know

He did leave some nice talent on the shelves, some turds too though.

Blake did a GREAT job at OU recruiting kids, he just didnt know how to coach them.

Look what Stoops did with the team he left behind.

Blake is pretty engaging guy BTW, very personable. I can see why he's such a great recruiter. I had a fairly long private conversation with him, he couldnt have been a nicer guy- oh well. I might still have the handwritten card he sent me afterwards, filled to the brim on both sides. I have no idea how he even tracked me down.

So, 2-3 years of juco recruiting necessity, 2 losing records, complete dismantling of the interior/culture of DONU, and general malaise of 04-07 makes methink that Bo has done an even better job than previously thought.

The blowouts and collapses are confounding, and sadly, commonplace now. That just absolutely has to stop. But to come in after say, 6 yrs of systemic rot--coupled with what BBB12 has shown us--I'm really thinking we are actually on an uptick.

Given what Bo had to overcome, along with a much tougher schedule than I thought, I think he's done tremendous. I'm happy the 'scandal' broke last week, now we can just focus on playing, recruits, having fun and getting better.

When was the interior/culture dismantled? 6 Years of systematic rot eh? It's no wonder this guy still has his job when this is actually believed by people. The Culture and systematic rot started long before 6 years pre Pelini. Bad recruiting, lazy coaching, terrible game planning relying on the athleticism of 1 player, big time blow outs on National TV, firing of Husker legends to save one selves bacon to the tune of still getting blown out in easy schedules was all happening well before 6 years pre Pelini.

Instead of broad sweeping statements can you please elaborate? My definition of systematic rot would be this - Continually throwing players under the bus for bad coaching, terrible recruiting/conditioning, buddy hire staff which I will admit was part of the previous problem but this new regime has taken this to ridiculous extremes, giving schollies to walk ons which I get is supposed to emulate the past but we all know the truth here would fill an entire thread by itself, owning 11 of the worst defensive performances out of top 20 and the previous coaching staff come in at #10 behind 1996 Texas and 2001 Colorado, the other 8 belong to Bo, 2 others are pre Devaney, coach continuously looking for another job knowing he's out of his league and stating so in a vulgar display of obscenities now attached to the Nebraska Brand where he tells the fans, media and the state to "F" off.

Do we need to cover what he says about/to former Husker legends that are stating glaring facts about the program, the handing out of Blackshirt tradition really doesn't surprise just because when your defenses are as pathetic as his (#109 and second only to 0-4 New Mexico State in plays of 10 yards or more allowed) We also don't have to mention his sideline buffoonery because supposedly it shows passion, not maturity. I must go or we could go on and on but since we're on an uptick you are right about that, heres the uptick

2007 averages vs Non-conference (Nevada, USC, at Wake Forest, Ball State):

29.0 points, 407.0 yards, 68.8 plays, 5.92 yards per play

2013 averages vs Non-conference (Wyoming, Southern Miss, UCLA, South Dakota State):

27.0 points, 463.8 yards, 70.8 plays, 6.55 yards per play

hopefully this answers yours and KChuskers questions. I'll keep it pretty simple.

my dad was a coach and player for nebraska in the 70s and 80s. He wasn't a top dog or anything near it, but when solich, mcbride, osborne, tenipor, etc. were cutting their teeth so to speak my dad was either playing for them or coaching along side them, so let's just say my dad had a few friends in the program. A couple years before solich got fired the program was starting to get into some turmoil (not just on the field stuff, and no, not NCAA stuff either), then 1 year after another during the whole stretch of cally years, the program was (or i should say, the program as WE knew it) was dismantled. the rats were spreading: laziness, unaccountability, softness, firings of anyone associated w the old regime (think: secretaries, janitors, etc), anyone who had loyalty and passion for the program as WE knew it. HS coaches who sent their kids as walk-ons, out. long standing recruiting ties built up over 30 yrs, out. Everything that took 2 generations to build up was gone in less than 5 years.

I said i would keep it simple so i'll stop.

the program was left in shambles, and there was no way, absolutely NO WAY callahan was going to get better.

the fact that Bo restored some ties to old players and coaches and friends of the program while getting rid of the rats while still getting 9 wins a season and a bowl game every year speaks VOLUMES to where we were in 06-07ish.

I freaking love nebraska football and maybe am a glass half full kinda guy on the program. but unless you know the people, heard the stories, really really knew how bad it was--i think you'd think we are on an upswing too.

now, bo: fix the penalties and turnovers and blowouts, thank you very much

Well it's good you realize that the recruiting ties ( high school coaches, loyalties, etc and firings of the old regime) died before Callahan was even a whisper. There were more than one tumultuous turns and some started well before we even sniffed any National Championships but you stated the problems were 06-07 and nothing could be further from the truth. They started the day Osborne named Solich and started to gain speed with Gillispie hiring and after the rumors of laziness from coaching legends who actually established those ties you speak of ( Tenopir, Darlington, Young, Barnes etc.) You imply that Callahan imposed the turmoil when he and ex coaching legends actually had great repoir like Tenopir. You say Callahan in NO way would ever get it done, had it not been for Cosgrove, I have to strongly disagree and some of my favorite Husker players of all time came out of that era including Zac Taylor. The fact you associate Callahan with laziness has me questioning everything you say when you say Pelini who may be even more lazy than Solich has returned us to glory. You do understand it was Callahan recruits mixed with patty cake schedules that got Pellini to where he supposedly is. I sort of get it, the whole Osborne saved us and gave us Pelini thought process but I look at the state of our program in every single aspect and recognize nothing.

You say Callahan handed Pelini shambles, what do call what Callahan received. I would say Callahan left a lot more for Pelini to work with than the next guy will get if we are lucky enough to get an actual head coach and decent staff soon

That first sentence shows that you basically don't know what you are talking about because don't you think that the losing record in 2004 had something to do with the total lack of talent that Frank left Bill? Why do you think that nobody wanted this job? It was career suicide because of the expectations with how far Frank allowed the program to slip under his watch. He let it become lazy to the point where players were just signing in for workouts and leaving, guys getting drunk on the bus back to Lincoln after getting their asses kicked in Mancrappin 49-13. Allowing assistant coaches to get away with stuff that I can't say in a public forum with no consequences. With that being said, I am not and never have been a huge Callahan fan, but it is just ignorant how much he gets blamed for "destroying the program" when all he did was not make it better. I will never understand why Frank gets a pass for allowing the program to slip just because he is "a Nebraska guy." IMO that makes it worse as he should have known what was expected and done everything to make sure that the program stayed at a top 15 level. Especially when he was given the team after a MNC, so he was given to keys to a porche and turned it into a beat up pinto. Yes Bill just that same Pinto it into a ditch and set it on fire, but that shouldn't get Frank off of the hook for putting the program into the toilet in the first place.

I also don't see how people can't see that a lot of Bo's early success had to do with the talent that Bill left him. Bo did a wonderful job of molding that talent and getting it to perform at its best. That is why IMO that the 2008 bowl game against Clemson is by far his best win. But nobody wins without talent, and just like Frank, Bo has not been able to replace the talent that he had (this looks worse on Frank than Bo as Frank had the program when it was on top of the world) and once they were forced to play their own players, it turned into embarrassing losses and mediocrity. At least with Bo being mediocre was a step up, but he has shown nothing to this point that he can get this team past the level that it is at now.

Re-read what I said. I said turmoil was setting in last couple years of Solich.

Callahan has a great football mind and got some good players. But he absolutely was worse off for Nebraska than Solich. Implying that I don't "know what I'm talking about" goes for everyone on this board unless Bo, Tom, Frank, and Bill decide to become moderators. I know what I know and it informs my opinion. My opinion is we are getting closer to where we want to be than 6 years ago.

Anyway, I like to live in the now. Bo is an uptick from Callahan. He's played some good schedules as BBB12 has shown. He's lost some crappy games and had embarrassing losses. I just choose not to hate the only team I really care about. I'll find something positive to cheer for even if we're 0-12. That doesn't make me an idiot or blind, it just makes me "not a fair weather f'ing fan"

• Fire 2

Bowl tie-ins change year to year and can be based on a bowl's choice. They have nothing whatsoever to do with anything related to strength of schedule.

For example, Nebraska won the Big XII North in 2010, but went to a lesser-tier bowl than Missouri. Based entirely on choice.

So we're sticking to three teams instead of the whole schedule since we didn't go to a bowl and will flush USC and Florida even though USC was a cheating Dynasty? Bowls are rewarded for records and the 2007 schedule was rewarded well for not going 1-6 and 2-5, 3-8 like the 1995 schedule was packed full of.

:huh:

Its difficult to get in a bowl when you're 1-6 and 2-5 (the other half of the Big 8 1995) and 3-8 WSU....etc. Remember I'm talking schedule which included Texas, Texas A&M, Leach coached Texas Tech not easy drubbings like 75% of 1995 schedule

That 2007 Texas Tech game sure was a tough one.

Bowl tie-ins change year to year and can be based on a bowl's choice. They have nothing whatsoever to do with anything related to strength of schedule.

For example, Nebraska won the Big XII North in 2010, but went to a lesser-tier bowl than Missouri. Based entirely on choice.

So we're sticking to three teams instead of the whole schedule since we didn't go to a bowl and will flush USC and Florida even though USC was a cheating Dynasty? Bowls are rewarded for records and the 2007 schedule was rewarded well for not going 1-6 and 2-5, 3-8 like the 1995 schedule was packed full of.

Its difficult to get in a bowl when you're 1-6 and 2-5 (the other half of the Big 8 1995) and 3-8 WSU....etc. Remember I'm talking schedule which included Texas, Texas A&M, Leach coached Texas Tech not easy drubbings like 75% of 1995 schedule

Doesn't matter if we played TT or not, the rest of our schedule did which made them tougher opponents, just like OU. Unlike 95 where Nebraska helped the other 3 teams up their game while 4 teams were.....well.....terrible. The entire BigXII south kept our schedule tough in 2007 and really the entire Callahan era

I have said this before, and still feel it to be true. Bo has done a much better job than I thought he would, and I think he continues to strive every single day. Still feel he needs help as much as he needs time. He is still learning on the job. If he has learned enough to be loyal to the program and not friends, hires qualified OC and DC's he can turn this around quicker. Trying to train every one on the staff, and teach players a system they have never heard of or seen before is an endless job. Add recruiting, being a father figure for every single kid, the job is so overwhelming it is unbelievable, especially for a first time head coach. We demand too much. Expect too much.

Some expect MNC CCG and the like. Those are all and were unrealistic goals brought by one of the best coaches ever to walk on the field. It took him time to get there though. In todays world though you do not get that amount of time, too much money being made/lost by not winning. Bo has won enough where he keeps the seats full. Lower our expectations some is what is required. Keep the program clean, eliminate the on and off field theatrics and he can stay as long as he wants for me. Just stop the beatings, give us the hope we will be competitive in every game we play. I expect nothing more. I expect to lose to Northwestern, Penn State and Michigan State and Michigan this year. Not negative just what I feel will happen. Keep us in those games to the very end, chance to win. The others I expect this team to win. Unfortunately that is not good enough for most on this board that seem to feel entitled to being MNC contender. When we realize we are not, but work toward being one, you get much happier.

No one expects MNC but 6 years after Tom told us we were hiring Pelini to fix Nebraskas defensive woes we should probably be higher than #109 defense, not hands on hips exhausted in first quarter of FCS game, regularly getting completely outmatched to embarrassing statistical drubbings, handing schollies to obvious walk-ons ( if that ) and hiring golf buddies as staff members let alone anyone from Iowa to work on our problem areas. We get it takes time, but you should see some improvement somewhere, at some point in 6th year

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

Re-read what I said. I said turmoil was setting in last couple years of Solich.

Callahan has a great football mind and got some good players. But he absolutely was worse off for Nebraska than Solich. Implying that I don't "know what I'm talking about" goes for everyone on this board unless Bo, Tom, Frank, and Bill decide to become moderators. I know what I know and it informs my opinion. My opinion is we are getting closer to where we want to be than 6 years ago.

Anyway, I like to live in the now. Bo is an uptick from Callahan. He's played some good schedules as BBB12 has shown. He's lost some crappy games and had embarrassing losses. I just choose not to hate the only team I really care about. I'll find something positive to cheer for even if we're 0-12. That doesn't make me an idiot or blind, it just makes me "not a fair weather f'ing fan"

I do apologize for that first sentance as it was out of line. Even as not a big BC fan, i just get tired of everyone blaming him for how bad the program was in when it was Frank that blew this program up. Although not blame free (far from it) IMO blaming how bad this program became on BC alone is lazy and just plain dumb. Frank was given the most talent as he had Tom's players for his first four years and did very little with it. He has turned out to be an ok coach for Ohio and that is about where he should be as he isn't good enough at recruting or coaching to be the HC of a big time program. And that is nothing to be ashamed of and I blame Tom for forcing it on Frank and NU more than anything. Who knows what Bill or Bo could have done with all of that talent that Frank had those first 4 years.

As for the fair weather fan comment, I really don't think that anyone on here is a fairweather fan. If you are on here talking about our favorite team as much as we all do, then that label isn't for us. I think I can speak for everyone on here that we all just want NU to win and be respectable again. I personally don't care how we win, Tom's way (option) , Bill's way, (WCO) Bo's way (pistol/spread)...just as long as we are playing by the rules (unlike the SEC) and graduate our kids.

Frank was given the most talent as he had Tom's players for his first four years and did very little with it. He has turned out to be an ok coach for Ohio and that is about where he should be as he isn't good enough at recruting or coaching to be the HC of a big time program.

Frank's 1999 Husker team was considered by many (even outside of Nebraska) to have been the best team in the country that year.