August 21st 2017 1:00 PM

Yep. Very rare. The last US total solar eclipse was way back in February 26, 1979 (Oregon-Idaho-Montana path). I heard totally dark and drop temperature during 2 or 3 minutes duration.

Omaha is not in the path! Get down to Lincoln, or better yet, farther south toward Beatrice (centerline path, 2m35s at 1:02pm), for a better show! Speaking of Lincoln, this second capitol city in the path lies near its northern edge, so totality is shorter there - only 1m 25.5s (at 1:02pm) on the grounds of the beautiful State Capital. The 50-yard-line at Husker stadium gets five seconds less time in the shadow, so you can see how important it is to get as far south as you can! (source: mcgaun.com)

Mind-boggling for me by EXACT path and time for at least 1000 years forecast. Probably 10,000 years or more.

I thought we had an eclipse in the early 90's. I remember I was 3rd or 4th grade or somethin. It was a big deal at school. I remember it being dark for some of the day.

Yeah I remember that too. I think it was kindergarten for me. All you big boys and girls got to watch while we had to go inside. Never was fond of that teacher.

I thought we had an eclipse in the early 90's. I remember I was 3rd or 4th grade or somethin. It was a big deal at school. I remember it being dark for some of the day.

Yeah I remember that too. I think it was kindergarten for me. All you big boys and girls got to watch while we had to go inside. Never was fond of that teacher.

Yep yep, I remember this too. It was a partial eclipse in Nebraska, especially up north where I spent my childhood. Would have been closer to a total eclipse down in the southeastern part of the state. Looks like this one on May 10, 1994.

I remember being with my dad at some acquaintances' farm because they had some sort of special solar viewing telescope/equipment. And I was like 4 years old so I got a cool pair of special dark sunglasses and was pretty pumped.

edit - was an annular eclipse so technically not total.

tschu is right ...... was an annular eclipse, not total

• A total eclipse occurs when the dark silhouette of the Moon completely obscures the intensely bright light of the Sun, allowing the much fainter solar corona to be visible. During any one eclipse, totality occurs at best only in a narrow track on the surface of Earth.
  • An annular eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the dark disk of the Moon.

August 21 2017

tschu is right ...... was an annular eclipse, not total

• A total eclipse occurs when the dark silhouette of the Moon completely obscures the intensely bright light of the Sun, allowing the much fainter solar corona to be visible. During any one eclipse, totality occurs at best only in a narrow track on the surface of Earth.
  • An annular eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are exactly in line, but the apparent size of the Moon is smaller than that of the Sun. Hence the Sun appears as a very bright ring, or annulus, surrounding the dark disk of the Moon.

August 21 2017

Good info. Thanks. Like I said, I remember it being significantly dark midday, but that I also figgered it wasnt a total eclipse.

I remember wanting to take my Dad's welding helmet to school to watch, but he wouldnt let me. We made little things out of paper by poking a hole in one, turning our back to it, and then letting it shine through that hole to another sheet-or somethin rather.