Serious Question: Someone Explain Modern Tackling To Me?

Flood

Tackling used to be all about wrapping up in the mid-section. No high or low hits, but solid fundamentals. They still teach that at the Pop Warner level and at the high school level. But, if you watch the NFL, the tackling mechanics are terrible. They are going for the "big" hits to make a statement. There were a lot of these hits this past weekend, and sometimes, the ball carrier just bounced right off and kept running. Unfortunately, a lot of kids emulate the NFL and good fundamentals go out the window. I also think that the lack of fundamentals leads to a lot of the injuries that are seen every week.

Perfect case in point. When Denver and Indianapolis played last week, there was a 3rd down play in the second half where Andrew Luck scrambled and got a first down. Von Miller was in perfect position to make a tackle and stop Luck one-to-two yards short of the marker. Instead, Miller went in for a shoulder/power hit to Luck's upper body. Luck was able to maintain his momentum, fell forward, got the first down and an extra yard.

That's what baffles me - it's like the players don't realize they're leaving yards all over the field with these ridiculous tackles. In this game specifically, it meant a Colts first down (when the game was within only one or two scores) and IIRC the Colts went on to get a touchdown on this drive. And it could have been cut short had Miller just made a normal tackle.

• Fire 1

Tackling used to be all about wrapping up in the mid-section. No high or low hits, but solid fundamentals. They still teach that at the Pop Warner level and at the high school level. But, if you watch the NFL, the tackling mechanics are terrible. They are going for the "big" hits to make a statement. There were a lot of these hits this past weekend, and sometimes, the ball carrier just bounced right off and kept running. Unfortunately, a lot of kids emulate the NFL and good fundamentals go out the window. I also think that the lack of fundamentals leads to a lot of the injuries that are seen every week.

Perfect case in point. When Denver and Indianapolis played last week, there was a 3rd down play in the second half where Andrew Luck scrambled and got a first down. Von Miller was in perfect position to make a tackle and stop Luck one-to-two yards short of the marker. Instead, Miller went in for a shoulder/power hit to Luck's upper body. Luck was able to maintain his momentum, fell forward, got the first down and an extra yard.

That's what baffles me - it's like the players don't realize they're leaving yards all over the field with these ridiculous tackles. In this game specifically, it meant a Colts first down (when the game was within only one or two scores) and IIRC the Colts went on to get a touchdown on this drive. And it could have been cut short had Miller just made a normal tackle.

Exactly! As a Bronco fan that play was infuriating. The players want to be on the top ten plays for these huge hits, instead of making the damn tackle, forcing the other team to punt, and giving the ball back to the offense. I'm not sure when the NFL and College players started doing this, but it's all about "me" instead of putting the team first. They just need to go back to old school football with solid fundamentals.

Wow, I sound old. "Back when I was a boy..."

Ok so as for the OP question first off you want to identify your target. Lock in on only them and don't worry about anything else going on in the play. Then as soon as you find you target begin to coil your entire body so when they are running at you so you are ready to strike. Then once they are within 5 yards launch yourself head first ( hardest part of the body) in the either the chest or head of your target (you can choose to do a spinning corkscrew if you like for effect). That is how you tackle!

Do I seriously need a sarcasm guy?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. It is pretty much as I had expected/hoped, in terms of your answers.

I was really wondering if it was just me seeing this, or if I had been missing something else, like a change in coaching or philosophy. Like, when a new offense becomes all the rage (West Coast Offense, etc.) and everyone follows the "cool new thing" for a while until it fades away or is replaced by the next cool new thing.

It sounds like the players are just skipping some of the basic fundamentals, either for the glory of themselves, or just ignorance of what they should be trying to do. I.e., bringing a player down with a real tackle, as opposed to trying to knock his head off his shoulders to make SportsCenter.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope this is something that can be changed, especially among our team, and for the good of the game in general.

Ok so as for the OP question first off you want to identify your target. Lock in on only them and don't worry about anything else going on in the play. Then as soon as you find you target begin to coil your entire body so when they are running at you so you are ready to strike. Then once they are within 5 yards launch yourself head first ( hardest part of the body) in the either the chest or head of your target (you can choose to do a spinning corkscrew if you like for effect). That is how you tackle!

Do I seriously need a sarcasm guy?

I prefer the Two Footed Tackle like this.

Vincent-Kompany-007.jpg

Done correctly, your opponent should look like this.

Soccer---Barclays-Premier-001.jpg

If you miss there is always this disperation move.

Soccer_Pain.jpg

While yes I agree players should wrap up to get their opponents to the ground, making the "big hit" can get into the heads of the offense. If you line up on the same side as a certain player after you just got demolished by them you might be looking out for them more which might make you hesitant as a player. just something else to think about

Different ways to teach tackling. Our coaches in college coached a sprint tackle where you ran with correct leverage and forced the issue to the ball carrier. You would never stop your feet while in pursuit. If you missed you had all 11 players running to the football with leverage and if the back broke your leverage he ran into another defenders lane. It is an attacking style that relies on getting hats to the football. Another style is the "shimmy" where you break your feet down and eye the defenders hips and tackle and run your feet. Different philosphies of tackling but can both be effective depending on your scheme and philosophy. And their is no such thing as bad open field tackle, just get the guy down.