Punt Returns

I rewatched the game last night and had a couple of things to discuss. First, Shean McDonough (spelling?) mentioned that NU has one of the worst punt return average in FBS averaging somethin like 3 ypr? Last year we muffed so many punts, it has been a relief to see Westercamp catch everything except the last one unfortunately, but 3 ypr is terrible. Ironically, if he wouldn't have muffed it, i think he had a big return coming.

Anyhow, why does the punt return game continue to be dreadful for almost to full seasons?

On another note, is Hoke the most worthless coach in FBS? ok, maybe a little harsh, but the guy doesn't even wear a headset most of the game and looks like he can barely dress himself. Honestly, WTF was he wearing, smh. You are the head coach of a top 5 winningest program, you may want to dress like it lol.

Back to NU, I just wanted to say Thad Randle played GREAT. he hasn't got much love this year, but he played lights out on Saturday. Gregory is a beast. the linebackers played really well as did Corey Cooper and Alexander. Ciante played a very solid game too. I do find it strange that Bando and Gerry, didn't play much this week though. We really seem to change our LB's week to week.

Anyhow, would love to hear everyone's thought.

"She remembered once throwing a shilling into the Serpentine. But every one remembered; what she loved was this, here, now, in front of her; the fat lady in the cab. Did it matter then, she asked herself, walking towards Bond Street, did it matter that she must inevitably cease completely; all this must go on without her; did she resent it; or did it not become consoling to believe that death ended absolutely? but that somehow in the streets of London, on the ebb and flow of things, here, there, she survived, Peter survived, lived in each other, she being part, she was positive, of the trees at home; of the house there, ugly, rambling all to bits and pieces as it was; part of people she had never met; being laid out like a mist between the people she knew best, who lifted her on their branches as she had seen the trees lift the mist, but it spread ever so far, her life, herself."

-Mrs Dalloway, Virginia Woolf

-oh sorry. I thought we were giving examples of stream of consciousness here. Carry on.

I rewatched the game last night and had a couple of things to discuss. First, Shean McDonough (spelling?) mentioned that NU has one of the worst punt return average in FBS averaging somethin like 3 ypr? Last year we muffed so many punts, it has been a relief to see Westercamp catch everything except the last one unfortunately, but 3 ypr is terrible. Ironically, if he wouldn't have muffed it, i think he had a big return coming.

Anyhow, why does the punt return game continue to be dreadful for almost to full seasons?

On another note, is Hoke the most worthless coach in FBS? ok, maybe a little harsh, but the guy doesn't even wear a headset most of the game and looks like he can barely dress himself. Honestly, WTF was he wearing, smh. You are the head coach of a top 5 winningest program, you may want to dress like it lol.

Back to NU, I just wanted to say Thad Randle played GREAT. he hasn't got much love this year, but he played lights out on Saturday. Gregory is a beast. the linebackers played really well as did Corey Cooper and Alexander. Ciante played a very solid game too. I do find it strange that Bando and Gerry, didn't play much this week though. We really seem to change our LB's week to week.

I thought Bando played a lot against Michigan, maybe I was missing something.

I thought Bando played a lot against Michigan, maybe I was missing something.

Bando played some LB but it was mostly Rose, Anderson and Santos. We also brought safeties up regularly.

Gerry was in on just about every special teams play but didn't get in on defense much. They ran more base personnel than we've seen in awhile and we usually go with the bigger LBs when we see that.

i just find it strange that for the second straight year our punt return game is terrible. Last year we could barely catch a punt. This year Westercamp has done a good job for the most part, but even still he rarely has anywhere to run. At the same time, we rarely pressure a punter or block a punt. I guess i'm at a loss for what we are trying to do in the return game.

i just find it strange that for the second straight year our punt return game is terrible. Last year we could barely catch a punt. This year Westercamp has done a good job for the most part, but even still he rarely has anywhere to run. At the same time, we rarely pressure a punter or block a punt. I guess i'm at a loss for what we are trying to do in the return game.

The second problem, MUCH preferable to the first problem. I'll take no punt return yards if it means our offense gets the ball after the punt.

The second problem, MUCH preferable to the first problem. I'll take no punt return yards if it means our offense gets the ball after the punt.

True, but to average 3 yards per return at this point in the season is a joke. It illustrates giving up completely on that aspect of the game. Many teams rely on special teams for a boost, if not a score. Our return game is non-existant and after the muffed punt last week, we will likely see nothing but fair catches the rest of the season.

True, but to average 3 yards per return at this point in the season is a joke. It illustrates giving up completely on that aspect of the game. Many teams rely on special teams for a boost, if not a score. Our return game is non-existant and after the muffed punt last week, we will likely see nothing but fair catches the rest of the season.

To the bold, I don't think so. And to be fair, we aren't doing much better than last year anyways. We only averaged 4.3 yards per punt return last season, too.

So, believe it or not, we're improving in that area.

Couldn't figure out what Newby was doing on the punt that rolled to our three. Apparently, due to the swirling wind, Pelini told him to let it go if it looked like it might be a tough catch. I guess that's better that a fumble but it looked like he should have had plenty of room to make a safe catch.

Against NW, IIRC, The Stache had a 17 yrd return. I think that has been the longest in like 3 years. Our punt returns are abysmal and reallt put the O in tougher spots. Would love to see us actually set up returns against MSU. That is definitely something no team in the B1G has film of us doing. Especially if MSU's D is as tough as they appear. Field position could be paramount. Letting one roll to our 3 will kill us.