Tai Webster compared to highly regarded player!

Haspula

I've been one of the more vocal critics of Tai's. More specifically, I was discouraged about his lack of improvement over the course of the year. I'm not one to disregard the situation he was thrown into. I understand that. In a day where more and more true freshmen contribute right away, expectations can get away from us fans. I've also said in his defense that coach Miles' offense didn't give him a whole lot to work with. We ran a lot of 2 man with TP and Walt and whatever was left was for SS. I did like it when he took the ball to the hoop. It showed that he can be aggressive and finish around the rim. I know when I played varsity my sophomore year, I was mentally consumed with trying not to rock a boat full of egocentric upperclassmen. I think Tai suffered from trying to please everyone causing him to be passive. I am worried that this staff has made a concerted effort to bring in several point guards. If Tai is more of a 2 guard then I don't see where his struggles are alleviated with TP still playing the 2. So where does he fit in? Confidence is a huge thing in basketball and if he has to continually defer his type of game to fit Coach Miles' offense that's run through 3 other people before him, where is he gonna find his grove? He doesn't have the greatest outside game and it was apparent that he isn't a spot up shooter. It's also a waste of his talent to try and make him into one. My suggestion to help Tai out is schematic. Have to get him involved with stuff going to the basket. Not just pass to TP and go spot up while TP works the 2 man game. SS has the ability to get off by doing other things, but I think Tai needs to feel like he's dictating tempo and running the offense. I hope he gets it figured out.

• 6 months later...

Last year and now this year I wonder why he keeps getting as many minutes as he does. maybe I am just missing something here. Did nothing positive in tonights game against Creighton. Huskers as a team have to start shooting the ball better and penetrate. We are dying on missed 3's. Gotta find our groove.

After last night I agree. I guess I just don't get it anymore.

Disagree somewhat........

I thought he played pretty aggressive D and worked hard on the boards..........BUT

His shot and his lack of confidence have him so hesitant it is a grind to watch him struggle.....

If you check my post a few back from this weekend, youll see that I haven't been a big fan of Tai. I like most was hoping the confidence thing especially would work itself out, Ive played plenty of sports to know that confidence isn't something that comes just because you get a year older. His shot is still horrendous. I wonder when the last time he had his eyes checked. He seems to have a depth perception problem. The announcer said that Tai was one on the court that Creighton gameplanned by backing off and allowing him to shoot the three. This does two things. You become dead weight on offense and you make it easier for the other team to defend your better offensive players. I was willing to give it a little more time with Tai but my patience is running short as should Coach Miles. Tai is nothing more than 5 fouls to give on defense and someone to give the other players a breather.

Disagree somewhat........

I thought he played pretty aggressive D and worked hard on the boards..........BUT

His shot and his lack of confidence have him so hesitant it is a grind to watch him struggle.....

If you check my post a few back from this weekend, youll see that I haven't been a big fan of Tai. I like most was hoping the confidence thing especially would work itself out, Ive played plenty of sports to know that confidence isn't something that comes just because you get a year older. His shot is still horrendous. I wonder when the last time he had his eyes checked. He seems to have a depth perception problem. The announcer said that Tai was one on the court that Creighton gameplanned by backing off and allowing him to shoot the three. This does two things. You become dead weight on offense and you make it easier for the other team to defend your better offensive players. I was willing to give it a little more time with Tai but my patience is running short as should Coach Miles. Tai is nothing more than 5 fouls to give on defense and someone to give the other players a breather.

Can't disagree with this...........only pointing out that Miles must have felt his other contributions merited some playing time.

I have been hoping along with everyone else that his shot and/or confidence would return........especially since he got such rave reviews for his play in the off-season.