At home coffee

A buddy of mine picked up a refurbed Jura ENA 4 and swears by it. I've had a few cups from it and would love to get one....except for the $$$$. Been looking for something other than a Keurig, but haven't really been looking that hard. Good info in this thread fellas. +1

Wowza.

Link and image removed at site owner's request

OK, this is something I am actually interested in. Can you use regular store bought coffee?

The only time I drink coffee at home is on the weekends and will many times only drink 1-2 cups. I'm not wild about the coffee that comes out of my drip maker so the only time I use that is if I'm putting it in a thermos and taking it with me. Otherwise, I actually like Folgers Instant coffee better.

Yes you can, but the grind is a little more fine and it becomes pretty tough to push the plunger down. The screen and the grounds make a pretty stout barrier and you have to muscle it down. I did that once and ended up with a counter full of coffee.

I'd also be afraid of breaking the carafe if you push too hard. But I think if you made 1-2 cups instead of the full four-cup amount you can make when the one I pictured is full, you should be OK.

A buddy of mine picked up a refurbed Jura ENA 4 and swears by it. I've had a few cups from it and would love to get one....except for the $$$$. Been looking for something other than a Keurig, but haven't really been looking that hard. Good info in this thread fellas. +1

Wowza.

Link and image removed at site owner's request

Holy hell. What kind of licensing and training does it take to operate that thing? Is it safe to have in the house with children around?

Since I don't live in the glorious capital anymore, and the only "coffee shop" in my town sells warmed over folgers in a styrofoam cup (and also bait and liquor), I've started buying coffee beans from the Mill and grinding them at home. Prescott Blend and Guatemalan are my favorites. Definitely concur about the burr grinder.

Also, on the subject of french presses, I use a travel press at work.

bodum-2.jpg

Steal hot water from the teacher's lounge, keep a little tupperware container of fresh-ground coffee, boom.

after all this french press talk, i broke mine out yesterday. first, it really makes me miss having a garbage disposal because clean up is a real pain without one. second, i can really see how the type of grinder you have makes a difference. i have a standard coffee grinder and there is no consistency. got a lot of tiny specks as well as whole beans untouched. the 'sludge' from the finer grounded beans is a little unsavory, but overall still pretty good.

also, i just use a teapot to heat the water. i assume that gets the temperature right?

• 1 month later...

This is my press:

nILBSCO.jpg

Bodum Chambord 8-cup press. I'm pretty sure I bought this about six years ago for $40 or less, which is what it's selling for on Amazon right now. Remove the lid/plunger, grind your beans and put them in the bottom of the carafe, pour 195-205 degree water over the top, put the lid back on and let it steep, then four minutes later SLOWLY push the plunger down.

The one difference between a press and a typical drip maker (aside from the far better flavor) is the amount of lees you find in your cup. It's not filtered, so you're going to have some sediment.

OK, this is something I am actually interested in. Can you use regular store bought coffee?

The only time I drink coffee at home is on the weekends and will many times only drink 1-2 cups. I'm not wild about the coffee that comes out of my drip maker so the only time I use that is if I'm putting it in a thermos and taking it with me. Otherwise, I actually like Folgers Instant coffee better.

OK...I got one for Christmas. I love it. My kids got me one that makes one cup at a time. I don't have the coarse ground coffee yet but I'm finding the fine ground is working. I just take my time pushing the plunger down.

I family never thought I would have so much fun brewing one cup of coffee at a time.

Thanks for the idea.

OK...question.

I've used this now since Christmas and still really like it. I purchased some coarse ground coffee at the store the other day.

Now, my question is, is it just a fact that I will get more grounds in my cup with these? I thought maybe going to the coarse ground coffee would help but it hasn't. Am I doing something wrong?

How long do you let your's steep before you pour it in your cup? I tend to like my coffee strong.

I wait four minutes, and I can't remember why four minutes is my go-to time. If you're getting grounds still, possibly pushing the plunger down too fast, causing grounds to get through the seal around the edge? That's the only thing I can think of. Is it big grounds or just the fine sludge?