Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

Chatelain is, was, and has been spot on. Bo and his loyalists in the fan base shamed him into apologizing about his Ohio State-eve column about Martinez, but go read that thing today and tell me it hasn't been proven true. Martinez is on the sideline for the rest of his career at Nebraska and there's only a handful of fans who really give a rats ass.

I swear, the Ohio State rant tape was the best thing that has happened to Bo. All it did was focus every one's anger on the "leaker" and, strangely, made the media come to Bo's defense and soft-pedal their criticism of him. Bo is the luckiest SOB I've ever seen and the whole 2012 season and this year's Northwestern and Michigan games prove it. Dude is inches away from 7 more losses in the last two years. He's the Les Miles of the Big Ten, minus the championships.

• Fire 1

This thread is comical, fans trying to rationalize our mediocrity. Blaming the young defense for the UCLA game. The reason so many of them are young? 3 years of recruiting failure on the defensive side of the ball. Then the Minny game wasnt a bad loss.....We have continually lost to teams that either out execute us. Bo preaches process etc yet his team fails to ever put it together in 6 years. In regards to comparing our crap show to what Osborne did is a joke. We are not getting spanked by Alabama each year we are getting spanked by teams like UCLA who are not even top 10.

Bo is 3-9 his last 12 games against top 25 opponents. His W total is inflated thanks to crappy scheduling and a weaker than expected conference. The B1G is hiding how bad we truly are guys.

Yes, but this still doesn't change the fact that we are morally undefeated.

I am a proud supporter of the Nebraska WeHaveTheWorldsLargestExcuseCollectionSkers.

This thread is comical, fans trying to rationalize our mediocrity. Blaming the young defense for the UCLA game. The reason so many of them are young? 3 years of recruiting failure on the defensive side of the ball. Then the Minny game wasnt a bad loss.....We have continually lost to teams that either out execute us. Bo preaches process etc yet his team fails to ever put it together in 6 years. In regards to comparing our crap show to what Osborne did is a joke. We are not getting spanked by Alabama each year we are getting spanked by teams like UCLA who are not even top 10.

Bo is 3-9 his last 12 games against top 25 opponents. His W total is inflated thanks to crappy scheduling and a weaker than expected conference. The B1G is hiding how bad we truly are guys.

To add to your argument, the Big 8 did not consist of only two good teams. In 1995, four Big 8 teams finished in the top 10. TO was occasionally blown out, but it was often by the number 1 team in the nation. Below are TOs 12 blowouts in 25 years.

Year Score Opponent

1973 27-0 Oklahoma

1975 35-10 Oklahoma

1977 38-7 Oklahoma

1978 20-3 Alabama

1985 27-7 Oklahoma

1988 23-3 Miami

1989 41-17 Florida St.

1990 45-10 Oklahoma

1991 36-21 Washington

1991 22-0 Miami

1992 29-14 Washington

1996 19-0 Arizona St.

Wanna know why we should demand change? We are an average team in an average conference. We rely on hail mary passes to beat winless conference teams. We make the dumbest play calls and put players in bad positions. Example: Pulling Pensick on our ONE yard line with little to no splits. You run a QB draw when you are trying to kill the clock instead of hand it to AA or Cross or hell even take a knee. We literally have one of the least experienced staffs in a BCS conference. We have possibly the worst special teams unit in the country with exception to field goals. Apathy is setting in everyone and once it takes over we will officially become a has been and fight for moral victories like Iowa.

I didn't care for this article because there was no solution. Dirk said basically 'same old same old' but where is his solution to the problem? There wasn't any. I agree with the poster who said if Dirk wants Bo replaced he should just come out and say so.

As a fan or writer, its not our job to come up with a solution. Two well paid people at NU (Perlman and Shawn) have to figure out how to fix this and what is best for Nebraska in the long run. Even if he gave a suggestion to fix it, what credentials does he have to back up such a statement?

I didn't care for this article because there was no solution. Dirk said basically 'same old same old' but where is his solution to the problem? There wasn't any. I agree with the poster who said if Dirk wants Bo replaced he should just come out and say so.

I think the solution is difficult. Not many people want to fire a coach with 9 wins six years in a row. Some assistant coaches should be fired, but not many people not on the staff have enough information to make those calls. Maybe Paps is a true defensive genius, but Bo give him any authority (I do not believe this, just using it as an example)

Comparing Bo's record to Alabama's leading up to their hiring of Saban is questionable, at best. In the years leading up to that hire following the 2006 season, Alabama went:

3-8

7-5

10-3

4-9

6-6

10-2

6-7

People can try to rationalize the point away as much as they want. It doesn't change the fact that if Nebraska fires a second coach with a record most others in the profession would love to have in the span of just over a decade, it will make the job much less desirable to many potential candidates.

As a fan or writer, its not our job to come up with a solution. Two well paid people at NU (Perlman and Shawn) have to figure out how to fix this and what is best for Nebraska in the long run. Even if he gave a suggestion to fix it, what credentials does he have to back up such a statement?

exactly, he is simply posing a question on what our expectations as fans should be. He clearly states that he expects more than what we have accomplished under Pelini. Now it is up to you to decide if you enjoy mediocrity and embarrassment or if instead you prefer to strive for excellence and take a calculated risk. Time for the what if we hire another Callahan post to pop up now. Answer: What if we dont?

Comparing Bo's record to Alabama's leading up to their hiring of Saban is questionable, at best. In the years leading up to that hire following the 2006 season, Alabama went:

3-8

7-5

10-3

4-9

6-6

10-2

6-7

People can try to rationalize the point away as much as they want. It doesn't change the fact that if Nebraska fires a second coach with a record most others in the profession would love to have in the span of just over a decade, it will make the job much less desirable to many potential candidates.

how many HC were there in that time span? You have to kiss a few toads before you find the right one.

exactly, he is simply posing a question on what our expectations as fans should be. He clearly states that he expects more than what we have accomplished under Pelini. Now it is up to you to decide if you enjoy mediocrity and embarrassment or if instead you prefer to strive for excellence and take a calculated risk. Time for the what if we hire another Callahan post to pop up now. Answer: What if we dont?

I disagree. If he can pose the question, he can also answer it. But from reading his articles in the past most people would agree that he doesn't care for Bo and if Bo left tomorrow Dirk would be a happy camper. He has as much credibility to offer his opinion as we do. He expects more but doesn't offer a solution as to how to achieve that expectation. I would respect him more as a writer if he would be bold and state what he would like to see happen. I get tired of people complaining on both sides of the issue but not coming up with any solutions.

I disagree. If he can pose the question, he can also answer it. But from reading his articles in the past most people would agree that he doesn't care for Bo and if Bo left tomorrow Dirk would be a happy camper. He has as much credibility to offer his opinion as we do. He expects more but doesn't offer a solution as to how to achieve that expectation. I would respect him more as a writer if he would be bold and state what he would like to see happen. I get tired of people complaining on both sides of the issue but not coming up with any solutions.

I will give you a solution. Clean house. Pay a coach whatever we need to to get him to come here. Bring a blank check to your negotiations. It is not like we are hurting for cash at all. There is your solution and it is not complicated. In regards to his question I expect more from Nebraska than embarrassing losses and completely falling apart every year for 6 years. I expect our fans to stand up and cheer and not tell others to sit down at games. I expect a team that plays sound fundamental and physical football. A team that does not beat itself and actually executes. Funny how the word Bo loves the most he has yet to accomplish in 6 years.

I will give you a solution. Clean house. Pay a coach whatever we need to to get him to come here. Bring a blank check to your negotiations. It is not like we are hurting for cash at all. There is your solution and it is not complicated. In regards to his question I expect more from Nebraska than embarrassing losses and completely falling apart every year for 6 years. I expect our fans to stand up and cheer and not tell others to sit down at games. I expect a team that plays sound fundamental and physical football. A team that does not beat itself and actually executes. Funny how the word Bo loves the most he has yet to accomplish in 6 years.

Thanks for your opinion! You are succinct and to the point. It's too bad that Dirk couldn't have made those same observations because he probably feels the same way about Bo that you do! However, We tried that 'clean house' before and look where it got us. We had the same amount of money then that we do now. Why didn't we go after some big name back then? I'll tell you why: We fired a 9 win coach. No one would touch Nebraska with a 10 foot poll after that. Firing the coach/staff cannot be the only solution. We've got some really good things going on right now. Why throw out the baby with the bathwater? I would much rather see Bo hire some new staff if those who are coaching right now aren't getting the job done. Our defense is improving, we have some exciting young players that are making gains. I want to see what happens next year. If nothing happens after next year then maybe reconsider the entire staff. But not now.

If it was as simple as bringing a blank check to negotiations then schools like Tennessee wouldn't get turned down by the head coaches at Duke and Air Force when they were replacing Kiffin still under the shadow of running off Phil Fulmer.

I've seen over and over. Schools get rid of a winning coach thinking they can do better and nine times out of ten, it backfires.