Chatelain's column - 2003 all over again

np_husker

The last time we fired a coach for these reasons we got Callahan. But hey, let's fire Bo cause that will fix EVERYTHING.

This has got to stop. These two coaching situations are mutually exclusive. I am unsure what is right for this program at this moment, but fear of 2003 is not influencing my way of thinking and I pray to God it isn't Eichorst.

I also really wish we'd fired Osborne back in the 80s when he just couldn't get it done. Think of how great our team could have been without him.

You guys clamoring to replace Bo are what's crazy. He's essentially got a freshman football team out there and has a good shot at going 10-3 and winning a bowl game. Yes losing sucks. But give the man time to get it right.

Yep. Should have fired that coach in the 80s. The one with 7 conference championships, two close losses in NC clinching games, and perennially ranked in the Top Ten (sometimes Top 5). Calling that the same situation as right now is what is crazy.

Also, do you struggle with reading comprehension? I said I wasn't sure what should be done, I didn't call for Bo's firing.

Maybe I just remember history differently than you, because people were sure as hell calling for Osborne to be fired at that point.

My issue here is that you are open to Bo being fired. Historically if we fire a coach after just a few seasons that has performing well, the program goes into a free fall.

If we keep a coach that ignorant fans want fired, they go on to win 3 national championships.

Firing Bo does not fix our problems, it sets us back even further than we already are due to Callahan. Just give him time and support. We were willing to do it once.

1. Pretending you KNOW the answer, right now, based on your one instance in history is IGNORANT. I am open to whatever decision SHAWN EICHORST believes is the best based upon what is going on RIGHT NOW.

2. Making blanket statements is IGNORANT. Every coach that is marginally succeeding, based on your self proclaimed flawless logic, goes on to win three National Championships? Wow.

3. Ignorance, for some, is best defined by a long look at a reflection. Who that is staring in a mirror is becoming more and more apparent as this thread goes on.

Ok, I don't "disagree" with the column, but look at the landscape of colleg football. There is so much more parity today than when TO coached. During the 70-80-90's, there truly where only about 10 really good programs in the entire country, and only 2 good programs in our conference.

Based on what Dick, ( oops ), I mean Dirk, wrote, I am sure glad he wasn't making decisions during the 70-80's and early 90's or Tom, nor we as fans, would have ever had the opportunity to celebrate like we did...

Lets' see.... Winning 9 games a year, filling stadiums, having guys play hard and never quit, and LOSING most of the big games that your team plays.......are we talking about Tom or Bo.... because that is exactly what Tom did for the longest time. If Nebraska was able to beat OU, then you could almost automatically assume that we would lose in the bowl game or NC game... and yes, Tom's teams did get upset more than once.....Missouri, Iowa State, Florida State, Syracuse, on and on....

Now, I am not bashing TO, because he is my role model, (named my son after him), my wife has extremely close (daily) ties to TO and you will not find a bigger TO fan in the world than me.......but just trying to point out that TO and Bo are taking the same path... and TO only had to win 1 big game a year....not UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State (last year's schedule)..... and with only probably 10 great programs in the 70-80's, it was pretty stinkin easy to stay in the top 25.

This defense is very young and in given time, they will be outstanding. I predict that even as soon as next year, this team will have a top 10 defense, and if not, it will be in 2 years. The offense was destroyed by injury... You lose an All-American lineman, 1st team All-Big 10 qb, and injuries to basically the rest of the O-line and 2 of your top 3 WR.......WOW.... and you still find a way to beat Michigan at Ann Arbor and you somehow are even "in" a game after turning it over 5 times.....

This team has heart and passion, along with RAW talent.... the heart and passion start at the top....Bo....

If you want to set the program back another 5-8 years, listen to Dick (oops, did it again), I mean Dirk....if not.... pray that Shawn makes the right choice. I can 100 %, without doubt, say that TO is hoping that Bo sticks around....and no, I will not a source on the last comment...

Yeah it would really be a scary thing if Bo Pelini got fired and Nebraska stopped being ranked, lost twice a year at home, usually in embarrassing fashion, constantly shot its foot off in big games, and didn't win a conference title for a decade and a half.

Guess I was unaware that Bo was responsible for the last decade and a half.... that is what happens when you start firing coaches after 9 win seasons...... you just made my point. Thanks.

Bo has had NU in title games in new conferences and old..... just haven't won.... and without the fluke Texas thing, he would have one on his resume...

Not saying that I am happy with this losing crap, but the revolving door of firing 9 win coaches and showing no patience is exactly what up and coming HC or established great ones are looking for.... a very attractive job, huh? Good luck with that. History shows that changing coaches works well around here. Let's run right out and do it again !

Job description: If you are only going to play in conference championships more than not, win a minumum of 9 games a year, icrease graduadtion rates, protect your players, cut-back on off field incidents, show passion for game, only get 3 years with your "own" recruits, switch conferences into the un-familar territory and still win......... then no need to apply.... you are under-qualified.

You must recruit to the middle of nowhere, win a championship (not just a conference, because that shine will wear off within 2 years without a NC) and you must get this done within 5 years, and make sure you win double digit games EVERY year.... screw parity...this is Nebraska...(should sell itself to a bunch of HS kids who don't even remember who TO is). .......... Man, wear do I sign up ?

Well if you substitute 2013 with 2006, Lincoln NE with the garden spot of Tuscaloosa Alabama, and the mythical head coach of Bear Bryant instead of TO.......you kinda hit the nail on the head with the current #1 team.

A map can help with anyone with uncertainty about recruiting advantages of Tuscaloosa AL as compared to Lincoln NE.

Ah yes, we've reached the "we can't recruit here but our recruits are good just you wait" corkscrew turn in the circular argument. I'll make sure my hat doesn't fly out of the car.

• Fire 2

Lets' see.... Winning 9 games a year, filling stadiums, having guys play hard and never quit, and LOSING most of the big games that your team plays.......are we talking about Tom or Bo.... because that is exactly what Tom did for the longest time.

For those of us old enough to remember, this is exactly right. For the younger posters, their history with Nebraska football dates back to the 90's.......and Osborne's legacy was cemented by his final 5 years as head coach. His first 20 years included the things you mention. And Osborne took over a program that had just come off back to back national titles. We were consistent winners between 1973 and 1993, as Pelini has been between 2008 and now. There are advantages to keeping a coach around for 25 years.......just like there are things to be learned from decisions made in 2003........oh, and Dirk's job is to write for a product that sells advertising space.

Well stated. I, myself go back to the beginning of Devaney @ NU. Dennis Claridge, Frank Patrick, Tom Penney and Harry Wilson are a few names I grew up listening to on the radio on Saturday afternoons. The situation existing currently, to me, is no different than when TO took over. In fact, imho, TO stepped into a much more fluent situation as HC. All he had to do was exactly that, be the HC as everything else was already in place for him. I'm basically referring to a coaching staff that was completely in place with experience. Our younger posters cannot relate to the drastic change in the landscape of NCAAF even from the 90's until now. IMHO Bo deserves time but maybe not his staff.

Personally, I thought a football coaches job at this level was to compete for championships, but Bo listed his priorities when he was hired here. I don't know if many of you remember that press conference, but he listed quite a few other things above winning games. We shouldn't be surprised. He is taking care of these kids, academics are up, he's teaching them to succeed in life after football and apparently winning games is on the back burner to those things. Okay I guess? I wish we could have both, but maybe both are not possible. What is possible? Are we doing our best? Or does this off the field stuff matter to people as much as the on field performance?

He also has about a dozen quotes of him saying the exact words, "We are here to win championships. Not division championships, either. Conference and national championships and I haven't met my own expectations in that regard."

Bo has a lot of quotes where he's said something and meant something completely different or was being a flat out liar, so let's not even get into Bo's quotes.

I'm aware of him saying those things you mentioned. My point was more towards, is it his priority? Is it even his top three priority? I bet not. I bet he puts raising these kids, academics, and success in life after football above winning games. And maybe he should?

Absolutely he should - but you're the one that got into his quotes :P

For those of us old enough to remember, this is exactly right. For the younger posters, their history with Nebraska football dates back to the 90's.......and Osborne's legacy was cemented by his final 5 years as head coach. His first 20 years included the things you mention. And Osborne took over a program that had just come off back to back national titles. We were consistent winners between 1973 and 1993, as Pelini has been between 2008 and now. There are advantages to keeping a coach around for 25 years.......just like there are things to be learned from decisions made in 2003........oh, and Dirk's job is to write for a product that sells advertising space.

Where do you come up with this stuff? I was going to games well before the 90's and Tom Osborne's worst ranking of his entire career was #24 in 1990. His second worst ranking? #15 in 1991. Tom's teams finished in the top 15 of the final AP poll 24 years out of the 25 years he was coach. Pelini's teams are lucky just to even be ranked.

My point is there is no comparison between Pelini's and Osborne's teams. It's not even close and furthermore it's certainly in more ways than just wins and losses.

Personally, I thought a football coaches job at this level was to compete for championships, but Bo listed his priorities when he was hired here. I don't know if many of you remember that press conference, but he listed quite a few other things above winning games. We shouldn't be surprised. He is taking care of these kids, academics are up, he's teaching them to succeed in life after football and apparently winning games is on the back burner to those things. Okay I guess? I wish we could have both, but maybe both are not possible. What is possible? Are we doing our best? Or does this off the field stuff matter to people as much as the on field performance?

He also has about a dozen quotes of him saying the exact words, "We are here to win championships. Not division championships, either. Conference and national championships and I haven't met my own expectations in that regard."

Bo has a lot of quotes where he's said something and meant something completely different or was being a flat out liar, so let's not even get into Bo's quotes.

I'm aware of him saying those things you mentioned. My point was more towards, is it his priority? Is it even his top three priority? I bet not. I bet he puts raising these kids, academics, and success in life after football above winning games. And maybe he should?

Elite coaches can make all 3 of those things a priority. Just because a coach wins championships doesn't mean he doesn't care about academics, raising the kids, etc. You can do both and all can be a priority.

I agree, and I think I've said as much. Its already been done before, right here in good ole Nebraska.

Ah yes, we've reached the "we can't recruit here but our recruits are good just you wait" corksrew turn in the circular argument. I'll make sure my hat doesn't fly out of the car.

Your attempt at wording doesn't phase me. We have recruited much better.....and we've needed to. The number of miles we have to go for a number of our recruits is different than being located in Tuscaloosa AL. We can recruit here.....we've done so before and are doing it again thanks to an increased focus and resources dedicated to recruiting.

It really depends on what you want for this program. Are you happy with just the number itself? Hey look we won (insert # or wins here) x amount of games this year and x amount of games last year so things are fine! Or are you someone who wants this program to be relevant again in terms of being legitimate contenders for conference championships and yes even national championships instead of a team who struggles just to be ranked.

Why can't we be both?

Ah yes, we've reached the "we can't recruit here but our recruits are good just you wait" corksrew turn in the circular argument. I'll make sure my hat doesn't fly out of the car.

Your attempt at wording doesn't phase me. We have recruited much better.....and we've needed to. The number of miles we have to go for a number of our recruits is different than being located in Tuscaloosa AL. We can recruit here.....we've done so before and are doing it again thanks to an increased focus and resources dedicated to recruiting.

So can we stop using location as an excuse for perceived recruiting faults? Yeah they've got to travel, but there''s quite the budget in place to do so.

It really depends on what you want for this program. Are you happy with just the number itself? Hey look we won (insert # or wins here) x amount of games this year and x amount of games last year so things are fine! Or are you someone who wants this program to be relevant again in terms of being legitimate contenders for conference championships and yes even national championships instead of a team who struggles just to be ranked.

Why can't we be both?

Maybe Bo has the answer? Wait...

I was struck by Bell's comments, "You've got to stay mentally tough." He said this in response to moving on after a tough loss like to MSU.

My question ... where is the "mental toughness" in the midst of the game to play smart, hold onto the ball (like with 50 seconds left in a half), keep your eye on the ball all the way to a catch, the alertness to throw a ball away, the smarts play fundamentally verses penalties.

Next, was the same phrase I've heard from Bo nearly every game, "I'm proud of the way they fought,” Bo Pelini said. “We didn't lose that football game because of a lack of effort or a lack of want-to. We just made too many mistakes to overcome."

I just have no compassion for these kinds of statements anymore. It is very familiar to an addict that says he will change ... all the while he knows what his next choice will be.

I think these guys just say it to say it anymore.

I was in a fraternity that was noted for the hazing it did on it's pledges. You were ask to pledge and the first few weeks were rather joyful and a blast. From week 3-11 things got progressively worse. However, after you had connected and bought in to the fraternity ... to give in a bit more and go throw some more "crap" ... you were always willing to give more.

Week 12 was our "hell week" ... and it really was. I won't get into all the physical and mental things that I was subject to ... except to share one thought ... We had to buy 6 bricks, upon which we had to carry that brick with us everywhere we went. We had to make it through "hell week" with our brick and out pledge pin. Every day you were challenged with activities and issues that forced you to save your brick, your pledge pin ... or perhaps give one up to save or protect a brother. I share this story because it was fascinating to see how many bricks got broke those first few days. You could be holding your brick in you hand and an fraternity member would come up and surprise you with a wrench or a hammer and try to break it ... or someone would try to deceive you and then another guy would steal your brick and break it. Well, after a few days you figured out that you had better protect your pledge pin and your bricks ... if you wanted to make it through "hell week". It became a mentality that you had to take care of you, your pledge pin and your brick. I made it through that week with two extra bricks. It took me three days to learn my lesson. I had no issues after that.

At this point ... I truly question the "world of mental toughness" that this program in creating ... cause when smart, disciplined football is needed ... we give up the ball with 50 seconds left and create another "big hole". Again, this happens in all our loses and compounds in the blowouts and upsets. We get away with it again an inferior competition ... but it always nips us in the "big game."

WHEN IS THE LESSON GONNA BE LEARNED fellow Husker fans. I'm listening.

People where getting frustrated with not winning the national title, because we were so close for so long. People are frustrated with Pelini for entirely different reasons. We've been nowhere close to sniffing a national championship during his tenure.

Osborne was getting blown out on occasion by Oklahoma.....and not winning the conference.....which had 8 teams.

People where getting frustrated with not winning the national title, because we were so close for so long. People are frustrated with Pelini for entirely different reasons. We've been nowhere close to sniffing a national championship during his tenure.

Osborne was getting blown out on occasion by Oklahoma.....and not winning the conference.....which had 8 teams.

By 1988 Osborne still hadn't won a conference title? I need to brush up on my Nebraska football history. :blink: