USC

Hujan

As hard as I've been on Bo for numerous reasons this season, I refuse to knock his recruiting. It's improved leaps and bounds. And if he could just take care of some little things to get us over the hump and get that really big win, the flood gates could open. We're at 15 committs and still have the 2 months of recruiting busy season left. In season is always a down time for everyone. Cant imagine it has anything to do with all these high school players having high school games to play in every week.

Right. I just think the fans an alum base after the Stanford win will go with O. The latimes just wrote an article about that, for what it's worth.

I have no direct sources of what USC might do other than the knowledge Del Rio has interviewed and he has not made it public in Denver that he plans to stay put....and people want to know. LA Times is fine, but I'm not a fan of the credibility of newspapers during speculative times. I think there are more reliable sources. Admittedly though, I don't care much about what USC does.

Ultimately, USC's success the back half this year is a good thing for NU. SC is likely going to hire Orgeron, and the "ZOMG we can't get into a arms race with dem" argument is proved as stupid as the people who wanted to make it.

Del Rio

They've already interviewed him if the internet is to be believed. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Orgeron at this point.

I don't think the locals will approve of that. But I'm fine with it. Won't be the sexy hire that helps them much with recruiting.

Ultimately, USC's success the back half this year is a good thing for NU. SC is likely going to hire Orgeron, and the "ZOMG we can't get into a arms race with dem" argument is proved as stupid as the people who wanted to make it.

Del Rio

They've already interviewed him if the internet is to be believed. I'd be surprised if it wasn't Orgeron at this point.

I don't think the locals will approve of that. But I'm fine with it. Won't be the sexy hire that helps them much with recruiting.

They're pretty happy with last Saturday..... But I don't think a Del Rio hire as any sexier than O.

The common sense among the press is tht Ed has earned it. Which of course means dick.

Del Rio

They're pretty happy with last Saturday..... But I don't think a Del Rio hire as any sexier than O.

The common sense among the press is tht Ed has earned it. Which of course means dick.

I don't know USC, but my guess is an alum with NFL pedigree who wants the job would be given a strong look.

Urm, no.

You guys pedal excuses like it's your job.

"Oh, Nebraska is so cold and remote and far from everywhere." Well, USC was sledge-hammered to death by the NCAA and kept pulling in 5* recruits on the reg despite having a coach that everyone supposedly hated so much.

"Oh, we are so young and injured, we're doing really good with what we got." Well, USC just beat #4 Stanford with 48 scholarship players on the roster.

"Oh, it's not just the coach, he can't make them tackle or hold onto the ball." Well, USC just fixed all their fundamental problems by firing their head coach.

"Oh, well Pelini's teams would walk through walls for him. The players love him!" Well, we've had more than our fair share of players transfer in the last few years and the high-star recruits are not exactly flooding in this year.

It goes on and on. Bottom line is the excuses are getting old. Pelini can't hack it and that's all there is to it.

1. True statement. Nebraska is a cold weather state and does not have much D1 talent in the state.

2. That is also true. We are young and do have some injuries.

3. Also true. The coaches teach and the players need to take what they learn and apply it on the field.

4. True. Been said by former players and current players many a time.

Look, I am in the middle of this whole fire Pelini debate. The 100% negative people annoy the hell out of me and the 100% sunshine pumpers annoy the hell out of me. I am not stupid, I know there are problems in this program. But I also see some positive. Recruiting has been better the last two years, talented youngsters, etc. And then the negatives: not being able to get over the hump, losing big games on national TV, turnovers, etc. I don't like to dwell on negatives in anything in my life, Im a glass half full kind of guy. I like to see positives in every situation, which is what I try and do with this team and their future.

I have already said heads need to roll this offseason in order to get over the hump. I think Brown, Fischer, Kaz, Garrison and Joseph should rightfully be 100% safe. Everyone else should be on the chopping block. I also think Bo should be safe unless you already have someone better lined up to replace him. I think he should get at least 10 years to win a CCG. I don't think that is too much to ask considering he has won 75% of his games. If he was only winning 6-7 games a year, it would be a different story. If he still can't get it done with a decade to work with or his win totals start to plummet, then I think 100% a change needs to be made. Long story short, I don't think he deserves to get canned this year, but if he does, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. A couple thoughts:

Recruiting was excellent in 2011 and 2012, but has been off to a slow start in 2013. You can blame some of that on the uncertainty about his future, but if we're being honest it was comparatively slow in August/September than in the last couple years before.

Also, with Pelini the two factors that make him a somewhat unique case are (1) the way we lose and (2) his off field issues.

If we were winning 9-10 games a year and losing the others by no more than 10 points, I think you live with it and hope the stars align with some exceptionally talented players where you can grab a conference championship and make a run at a national title. But getting routinely blown out by the above-average teams on our schedule is not acceptable. We don't have to win every game we play, but we have to be competitive. A "bad loss" should be 14 points, not losing 70-30.

Second, Pelini comes with some immense negative PR. As a bit of hot head myself, I definitely understand getting fired up and yelling at refs, etc. I think it's natural and all the good coaches do it. I personally think a lot of the A&M stuff that is so often repeated on TV is over blown. I think you live with that stuff if the program is winning. Jim Harbaugh is a giant ass. His act is tolerable so long as his team is winning and playing smashmouth football with a stout running game and defense. But when his team starts getting blown out, it's going to get old. That's kind of where I feel we are with Pelini; you live with the fire-brand approach when we have a dominant defense like in 2009 and 2010. When you're giving up 600 yards and 45 points and playing undisciplined football, it gets old. Ditto for his inexplicable animosity with the media and fans. Tolerable if we're winning, gets old when we're not.

I think these are two huge factors that the administration is going to have to look at when it comes to keeping Bo.