Defensive scheme question

JTrain

Maybe know one knows, and I doubt Bo would give away the answer in a PC. But I'm honestly curious.

When the opponent appears to be running the ball off-tackle, what exactly are the assigned responsibilities of the non-play side OLB and DE?

Minnesota ran play-action bootlegs quite a bit, and Penn State ran more than probably any opponent this year. (Iowa may very well run even more.) At some point it becomes almost comical how quickly and totally we give up containment on the bootleg side. This results in the quarterback having way too much time to make a comfortable throw with no one blocking his vision, or being able to run for an easy 10+ yards. It does appear that someone is messing up in those instances, given Bo's reaction to Hackenberg's TD run:

deLjMi0.gif

So here are the two theories I can think of:

1. The DE and/or OLB on the bootleg side are supposed to keep contain until they visually verify that the RB has the ball, but they just keep failing to do this. This doesn't seem likely because (A) I don't think they would be so undisciplined to mess up so consistently, and (B) It really does look like they begin crashing towards the running back before the hand off/play fake is executed.
  2. The coaches have decided that we need all seven to effectively play the run, and therefore we can't afford to have the DE or OLB committed to containing the (potential) bootleg side. So we have to rely on the DE seeing that the RB doesn't have it and reacting quickly enough to chase down the QB, or a S or CB in a shallow zone coming up to contain him.

Does anyone have any insight into how Bo's general schemes are meant to work on these plays, what is going wrong and what they might modify to handle them more effectively?

I would really like to get some real discussion before we inevitably start this process:

chickenfight.gif

Well certainly you are supposed to keep contain on the backside which we did in the second half along with cutting off the comeback route they were running with that play. That's why that play disappeared in the second half. Basically, the contain guy was getting sucked in and over committing.

And when that play was called I don't think Hackenburg really had the option to actually watch our DE and decide what to to do ie read option. It seemed like straight up play action which means we were over pursuing.

I remember watching this play over and over again yesterday and wondered the same thing. Surely either the DE or the outside LB needs to stay home long enough to make sure the QB doesn't roll out at leisure with all day to run or pass.

I am not a 4-3 guy and only coach high school ball but I would venture to say that it probably changes depending on the call. I would think the DE would stay home more often because of pursuit angles regarding an off tackle play going away from said DE and OLB...

DE should stay home in my opinion.

It depends on film that week.

I cannot speak specifically for Bo's system, cuz, well....I'm not in the film room. But what I remember from playing OLB in college was dependent on scheme week to week.

if a guy like Hackenberg who isn't a really mobile threat, what we would do is have the DE "slide crash" the run play (not turning and running, which takes longer to re-turn and run, but sliding/shuffling down the line) to contain the backside and not allow the RB to cut back. The OLB on the away side would sit and wait for 2nd level cut back/crossing route/reverse.

On a bootleg, the OLB would see the QB rolling out and immediately sprint to an angle to get to the QB. Basically turning his responsibility into a blitz pressure with sole contain of the QB on the edge.

There are 2-3 variables when the actual bootleg happens (if there was a blitz, zone/man coverage, etc..) but typically with an unmobile QB a guy like Santos is supposed to contain and pressure the QB. it's a defensive play that can be executed better and better w experience and study. But it happens fast and if the opponent has a good running game (see: PSU in the first half) it's hard to stop.

That's probly why that gif you made has Bo so pissed. By now, whoever is responsible for the QB on that rollout shoulda been right in his grill.

Of course, everything i just said could be crapped on in 1 second by someone who actually plays defense for Nebraska and knows where they are supposed to be. But I think that's the "keys" and the "eyes in the right place" Bo is always talks about. Once a player gets those 2 things, it's probably pretty simple.