Definition of a Real Husker Fan

knapplc

If you were a real Husker fan, you wouldn't have to negotiate anything about Valentino's. Your opinion would be my opinion (and feel free to substitute any other two fans for the "your" and "my") and there would unanimity in our opinion.

If you were a real Husker fan.

So real Husker fans like eating tepid greasy ass out of a triangular cardboard box?

I love Valentino's!!!!

So do I. But not at Husker games. It's usually rubbery and cold there. I think their buffet is overpriced as well. But when I lived there, I loved Val's To Go. Would get it at least once a week for lunch.

But that is the main difference. One hurts the team, one doesn't.

I agree with this.

If we're going to discuss the impact positivity and negativity have on the team, the impact of negativity FAR outweighs the impact of positivity.

Not really. Saban is obsessed with keeping his guys from getting complacent due to all the positive stuff being heard throughout their media. He wants his guys to show up to play hard every week, even if the opponent is crap. Complacency is a huge reason for teams not showing up and dominating teams they should.

You're telling me that fans being supportive of the team is as destructive as fans hurling vitriol at the players? You can't be serious.

I agree with this.

If we're going to discuss the impact positivity and negativity have on the team, the impact of negativity FAR outweighs the impact of positivity.

Not really. Saban is obsessed with keeping his guys from getting complacent due to all the positive stuff being heard throughout their media. He wants his guys to show up to play hard every week, even if the opponent is crap. Complacency is a huge reason for teams not showing up and dominating teams they should.

You're telling me that fans being supportive of the team is as destructive as fans hurling vitriol at the players? You can't be serious.

I think though that there is a big, big difference between people posting on here (which was what I was referencing somewhere back there) as opposed to directly to players. That should never happen. I'm starting to wonder if staffs are going to start to have a person whose main job is working with the players on how to deal with all the social media they encounter.

I agree with this.

I agree that negativity, directed at the players or at the coaches, has far more impact than positivity.

But, I have a serious question; Are we to treat posting here on HB as if everything/anything we post is intended directly at players and coaches?

I understand that tweeting a player or otherwise directly contacting them with negative comments is crossing the line. I would never do that. But, should offering a critical opinion on HB be considered taboo as well? I've not had much good to say about the decision to retain Bo for another year or about the threats that some players would leave if Bo did. Some other posters have taken great offense to my comments. I guess I've always felt this was a proper venue to air concerns and opinions of this nature and that it was not intended for or directed at the players/coaches themselves. Wouldn't they need to go out of their way trying to find comments on HB to become upset with? Who does that responsibility and culpability fall on?

Does the poster that called me an idiot because of it owe me an apology, or was I wrong to assume my opinions here should not be consumed directly by the players/coaches?

I agree with this.

I agree that negativity, directed at the players or at the coaches, has far more impact than positivity.

But, I have a serious question; Are we to treat posting here on HB as if everything/anything we post is intended directly at players and coaches?

I understand that tweeting a player or otherwise directly contacting them with negative comments is crossing the line. I would never do that. But, should offering a critical opinion on HB be considered taboo as well? I've not had much good to say about the decision to retain Bo for another year or about the threats that some players would leave if Bo did. Some other posters have taken great offense to my comments. I guess I've always felt this was a proper venue to air concerns and opinions of this nature and that it was not intended for or directed at the players/coaches themselves. Wouldn't they need to go out of their way trying to find comments on HB to become upset with? Who does that responsibility and culpability fall on?

Does the poster that called me an idiot because of it owe me an apology, or was I wrong to assume my opinions here should not be consumed directly by the players/coaches?

It's a public forum. You shouldn't say that stuff if there's even a possibility of them reading it.

I agree with this.

It's a public forum. You shouldn't say that stuff if there's even a possibility of them reading it.

Kids are going to hear and read stuff all over the place. They talk about it on TV and radio, you can't shield them from it.

I agree with this.

I thought we were talking about the media, not fans spewing sh#t on Twitter. In my opinion the media laying nothing but praise on the team can be just as bad. Like I said, complacency is a bad thing. Saban is a master of getting his teams up to play week in, week out. To me that's his biggest success story, not just the Xs and Os. Sorry I mis-understood what we were talking about. I only skim through since I'm "working" all day.

So, in your opinion, there is no place on HB for criticism of anything pertaining to coaches or players? It is more our (posters) responsibility to not post anything negative than it is for the players or coaches to not come looking for it here?

You're sure entitled to that opinion but I think that is jacked up. That only leaves the possibility of praise and back slapping, one side of the equation. Hardly a glowing referral to come here and have any kind of meaningful discussion about what may be right or wrong, good or bad, about the state of Husker football. But, I actually think there are a fair number of posters who would agree with that approach. They are often referred to as sunshine pumpers and they seem to be the ones who get bent the most when anything negative is posted.

Let me be clear, I do not want to be negative. I just think there are a plethora of viable opportunities when it comes to some areas of Pelini's coaching actions, results, history, or anticipated future. What are we going to discuss if it can only be sunshine and roses?

Let's be honest with ourselves for once, at least about a single thing we should all agree on:

That abomination known as Lil' Red looks like a horrid 1/32 scale model of the giant doughboy monster Bill Murray fought in Ghostbusters, with the sole difference being the overalls.

Can we agree on that? If so, then we can tackle the less important facets of what it takes to be a true Husker fan . . .

• Fire 1

I don't agree that we should only post the happy stuff here. There's a time and place for criticism, and we all know there's plenty to criticize about this team and coaches over the last few years.