Where Do FBS Players Come From?

McDawg

I don't watch pro ball much, but I love college ball and another thread got me to thinking ( always a bad thing and some people feel it is not healthy for me)

Where do major college football players originate from. Well, according to this report, it seems to be no real secret. The real surprise is how the per capita numbers in the first skew the number so much from the total numbers in the second list. Texas may have he numbers, but they really have not had to overall talent in the last 5 years.

Per Capita Production of FBS Recruits by State (2008-2013) Rate per 100K Rank vs. US Avg US Average 0.75

Louisiana 1.83 1 2.44x

Alabama 1.75 2 2.33x

Florida 1.69 3 2.25x

Georgia 1.62 4 2.16x

Hawaii 1.54 5 2.05x

District of Columbia 1.43 6 1.90x

Mississippi 1.42 7 1.89x

Texas 1.41 8 1.88x

Ohio 1.31 9 1.75x

Oklahoma 0.99 10 1.32x

Recruiting-TotalShare.png

http://www.footballs...ifornia-florida

• Fire 1

As much as I'm fully aware of the concept of "speed states" one thing to remember is the multitude of FBS schools that are located in these states. Considering that many of the lower-tiered schools recruit with a regional focus, there are many players who go to high school in said states and then will end up attending a non-AQ school in that state.

Look at how few FBS schools there are in the Northeast or upper Mid-West. If you're a fringe, 2-star player in these areas, you might be playing for NDSU or Villanova (I know they're moving up soon) whereas if you're in Louisiana, you could play for Louisiana-LaFayette or LA-Monroe, for example. In Alabama, you could play for Troy, UAB, or the USA (Univ. of South Alabama) and be in FBS.

I know that this isn't the most conclusive explanatioon for the phenomenon, and I have not doubt that the "speed states" generate more athletes, but I feel like there is a TAD more to the story.

• Fire 1

funny ..."speed states"....it caused my google addiction to kick in.....

two of the fastest guys according to this....are from Wisconsin and freaking Idaho!! And another is from New Jersey!!! the rest were from the "speed states." We have one guy that missed cut..>Reggie Davis...ret man/WR.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/22416576/the-fastest-players-in-college-football-2013

It is also obvious that almost 50% come from the top 4. All are warm weather schools. Both per capita chart and total shares chart. The kids there can play football, outdoors, year round, in roughly the same conditions day in and day out. I would be interested to see how many of the recruits from these schools are "multi sports kids" ie football, then basketball, then baseball or track. Seems the top 4 probably have kids who, di to weather IMO, are allowed (concentrate) on football year round. Has to help.

I would also gather that the top 3 are some of the most populated states (total recruits /share(GA has ATL). Larger schools, more competition probably increases the talent as kids need to be "better" to see the field.