Penn State hires James Franklin

Els and Cotton were both HC of Hastings College for stints in the 90's. Hastings College was a national competitor under both guys. I still say Cotton catches a bad rap and always did. I think Els has done a good job, his duties are just on overload. It needs to be lightened up.

I'm not sold on Cotton. He's dead weight as a recruiter and you can't have that these days. Our TE's are a wast of space on the field. Might as well throw in a 6th OL, or another fullback (who's also more or less a waste of space on the field these days). It's like we're playing with 9 offensive guys. Agree on Els.

My post wasn't an indication of the "quality" of coaches we have - we certainly have some good ones. Just more about where we go looking for assistants. Doesn't take a lot of $$ to land a GA, or an assistant from some DII school. Bo's not going to go out and get a Zook or other high profile assistant. Just don't see it happening. And people have alluded to the fact that was an option for him last year and he chose not to I think.

Els and Cotton were both HC of Hastings College for stints in the 90's. Hastings College was a national competitor under both guys. I still say Cotton catches a bad rap and always did. I think Els has done a good job, his duties are just on overload. It needs to be lightened up.

I'm not sold on Cotton. He's dead weight as a recruiter and you can't have that these days. Our TE's are a wast of space on the field. Might as well throw in a 6th OL, or another fullback (who's also more or less a waste of space on the field these days). It's like we're playing with 9 offensive guys. Agree on Els.

My post wasn't an indication of the "quality" of coaches we have - we certainly have some good ones. Just more about where we go looking for assistants. Doesn't take a lot of $$ to land a GA, or an assistant from some DII school. Bo's not going to go out and get a Zook or other high profile assistant. Just don't see it happening. And people have alluded to the fact that was an option for him last year and he chose not to I think.

You can blame who you want on this. I'm fine with that. But I think the decision on assistants is a result of hiring an inexperienced and relatively unknown-within HC ranks-head coach in Bo Pelini. He's had to build everything from scratch from recruiting connections to assistants.

Pretty sure Cottons being allowed to hang around in order to take Jamrog's postion at some point. Not sure what the word is on Jeff, I've just heard he's gonna be on the way out once another job is found for him. Bo is just loyal like that. Whether that's right or wrong can be speculated on for hours, but I believe it will pay dividends in the long run.

My post wasn't an indication of the "quality" of coaches we have - we certainly have some good ones. Just more about where we go looking for assistants.

So you're more concerned about looks than quality. That's good.

Do you even read, or just search for something to disagree w/ me on. This post started in response to nupolo saying we need to pay up. I said it didn't matter if Bo had 10 million bucks, that's not how he hires. How do you go from that to where you just landed? You're stretching yourself pretty far to find something to disagree with this time.

My post wasn't an indication of the "quality" of coaches we have - we certainly have some good ones. Just more about where we go looking for assistants.

So you're more concerned about looks than quality. That's good.

Do you even read, or just search for something to disagree w/ me on. This post started in response to nupolo saying we need to pay up. I said it didn't matter if Bo had 10 million bucks, that's not how he hires. How do you go from that to where you just landed? You're stretching yourself pretty far to find something to disagree with this time.

And, it's not so much the need to "Pay up" I know NU has the money. I'm just not so sure the motivation is there at all to think outside the box or make anything but a safe or familiar hire.

Too many people scream and cry and make the ridiculous argument like "If we fire Bo we'll get another Callahan" or "Yeah lets fire person x and we'll get Al Borges. That'd be good, lol", when programs like PSU and, dare I say ISU, are making pretty surprising hires. Franklin is a very good coach who just went to program that's going to have some pretty bad scholarship disadvantages for a few more years. Say what you want about Mangino (and I'm expecting it), but the guy took a program in KU that, outside of a few big years, is traditionally a football laughing stock, and won an Orange Bowl there. He'll make a difference at ISU also.

Meanwhile, the general feeling I'm getting at Nebraska is that everyone is too afraid to make waves or change so they'll just trundle along in the safe, but unfulfilled 9/10 wins, four losses, and safe hires.

I'd like to see something bold come out of this coaching staff, and failing that, the athletic department.

• Fire 1