Penn State hires James Franklin

Looks like a good hire:

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-football/story/james-franklin-agrees-to-terms-with-penn-state-will-leave-vanderbilt-010914

Probably a very expensive hire for them. What irritates me is that we couldn't pony up a few extra bucks to keep TJ yet other teams around our league are making big splash hires. Hope Sanders comes back. That will make up for losing our best assistant coach on defense.

The best you can hope for now is that the fact that other Big Teams are willing to do this will finally wake up those charge at NU

Finally wake up? Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State...all paid their coaches more than Nebraska before this. This isn't about money. We could hand Pelini 10 million and he'd hire 3 GA's, 2 buddies from his playing days - a HS coach from Texas, and fill out the rest of his staff by raiding South Dakota State and Hastings College.

The opportunity was there - anyone that thinks we couldn't get a Peterson or a Franklin after watching this latest round of hires is crazy. One of the guys we "couldn't ever get if we fired a 9 win coach" just went to a school under sanctions for the next couple of years, and will be rebuilding because of it for another 2-3. None of that kept Penn from getting 2 of the better coaches available the last 2 times around. We just didn't pull the trigger. 150k would have kept TJ, we just didn't pull the trigger. Don't know why, but for whatever reason this staff is here to stay, and they'll be doing things their way - success be damned.

• Fire 3

The best you can hope for now is that the fact that other Big Teams are willing to do this will finally wake up those charge at NU

Finally wake up? Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State...all paid their coaches more than Nebraska before this. This isn't about money. We could hand Pelini 10 million and he'd hire 3 GA's, 2 buddies from his playing days - a HS coach from Texas, and fill out the rest of his staff by raiding South Dakota State and Hastings College.

The opportunity was there - anyone that thinks we couldn't get a Peterson or a Franklin after watching this latest round of hires is crazy. One of the guys we "couldn't ever get if we fired a 9 win coach" just went to a school under sanctions for the next couple of years, and will be rebuilding because of it for another 2-3. None of that kept Penn from getting 2 of the better coaches available the last 2 times around. We just didn't pull the trigger. 150k would have kept TJ, we just didn't pull the trigger. Don't know why, but for whatever reason this staff is here to stay, and they'll be doing things their way - success be damned.

Tell us how you really feel kchusker_chris! Hehe!

I know, I know. A lot of Kool-aid was made after bowl game and while I hope this time is different (going forward) ummm, urrr, hemem, well; I have my reservations too but I am hopeful!

Will we be having these same conversations the same time next year? Hehe, what the heck can we do about it. It is what it is ~ right?

I guess we just support the kids and scream and holler during games and carry-on. Oh hell yeaha, Kansas’s Carry on Wayward Son was a good song!

Looks like a good hire:

http://msn.foxsports...nderbilt-010914

Probably a very expensive hire for them. What irritates me is that we couldn't pony up a few extra bucks to keep TJ yet other teams around our league are making big splash hires. Hope Sanders comes back. That will make up for losing our best assistant coach on defense.

First of all NU actually pays its Assistant FB Coaches really well. Top 23 overall in total comp paid to the staff excluding Bo. Second, I think if MS comes back, and there is now a ton of smoke on that, I believe we upgraded over TJ. Third, Vandy's Rep is saying Franklin hasn't left contrary to these reports.

If Terry was really worth the extra bucks, or if Bo wasnt already prepared with another, better, direction, he'd still be here. That pocket coin was the least of the reasons Joseph is no longer with us. Maybe he was just simply ready for a change. Maybe he's like that.

• Fire 1

If Terry was really worth the extra bucks, or if Bo wasnt already prepared with another, better, direction, he'd still be here. That pocket coin was the least of the reasons Joseph is no longer with us. Maybe he was just simply ready for a change. Maybe he's like that.

This is exactly how I interpreted the situation as well. Well said.

Continue with your caricature. I'm sure I won't change your mind. But how many coaching hires back do you have to go to find someone who fits this description? Or what percentage of the last 5 hires or so fits?

Whats wrong with raiding out Hastings College? The 2 guys we have with Hastings College tunures each had the Broncos as a national competitor.

We should get an experienced coordinator, like Borges, because he is better than Beck by a wide margin.

:sarcasm

• Fire 2

We should get an experienced coordinator, like Borges, because he is better than Beck by a wide margin.

That would be a good thing. Then we can get back to running people over like Stanford does. heh heh.

Terry Joseph is a young up and coming coach with ties to the south. Coaches from the south like to stay in the south. For example lets look at Kevin Steele, he was a great coach that was instrumental in getting Tommie Frazier to NU. He didn't stay too long though. Steele is a southern guy who has spent every minute of his coaching career since he was at Nebraska at southern schools I even think his NFL stop was in the South.

we should go after Watson, give him the big $$ so he doesn't go to Texas :)

Continue with your caricature. I'm sure I won't change your mind. But how many coaching hires back do you have to go to find someone who fits this description? Or what percentage of the last 5 hires or so fits?

I actually have no idea. Couple GAs I think. JP, Ekeler, Garrison. Don't think there were any guys from the playing days (should have said "golfing buddy"), or anyone from SD. Some of these guys have ties to Hastings. Doesn't Els or Cotton or something? One of them New Mexico State (which I guess is similar to SDSU. We have to have a former Texas HS coach on staff right? Was Beck down there?