The Moaning of Life

knapplc

Taylor was a great Husker regardless of your stance on his abilities. A definite lowpoint of the year but one that was out of our control.

I think that is the only thing that really is depressing when I look back on the season. We never got to see what might have been, it's a real shame for Taylor and for the enjoyment of the fans.

• Fire 2

This season was a roller coaster no doubt, the highs were legendary but the lows got gothic dark. You know what they say, misery loves company so what better way to share in a loss than to bicker at others who are mad and upset. I say cheers to 2013 and may it be the new beggining to something special in the near future.

What else can you say but this? I mean it's really not that hard to figure out is it? After we win, I go and enjoy the rest of my day because i'm in a good mood. When we lose, I need to vent because it's frustrating. Better than kicking the dog right?

Could be due to the fact that our starters rarely played the entire 4th quarter back in the day when we dominated the weaker teams in the Big 8. Look no further than our scoring by quarter and our opponents scoring by quarter. We always scored the least in the 4th quarter and gave up the most points in the 4th quarter on average. IIRC in 97 about 50% of the points we gave up were in the 4th quarter, which is one of the reason's Michigan's argument about their Defense being way better than ours that year was complete bullsh#t.

The weaker Big 8 that saw the only 1,2,3 finish in the AP poll era?

Are you going to pick that one year? You can't deny that 5 games a year in the Big 8 we completely ass-raped the competition. You remember seeing our 5th string RBs back then? I do. And I don't recall seeing that recently.

Hey you have your arguments I can have mine can't I? The Big 8 had tough teams, it wasn't all powder puffs, Nebraska was just that good most of the time. To your point though I think they also split carries more to begin with in the early quarters as well.

When I moved from Nebraska in 1981 my bumper sticker read: It's hard to be humble when you're a HUSKER; the other read: Apple Pie makes you sterile. 10 years since a Natty (71) and still positive and wouldn't dropped a nut if I'd of known about the 90's :D

What happened???

The board has changed since 04 also. Used to be members attacked each other with regular certainty. Now, they attack the players and coaches.

GBR GBR GBR

Could be due to the fact that our starters rarely played the entire 4th quarter back in the day when we dominated the weaker teams in the Big 8. Look no further than our scoring by quarter and our opponents scoring by quarter. We always scored the least in the 4th quarter and gave up the most points in the 4th quarter on average. IIRC in 97 about 50% of the points we gave up were in the 4th quarter, which is one of the reason's Michigan's argument about their Defense being way better than ours that year was complete bullsh#t.

The weaker Big 8 that saw the only 1,2,3 finish in the AP poll era?

Are you going to pick that one year? You can't deny that 5 games a year in the Big 8 we completely ass-raped the competition. You remember seeing our 5th string RBs back then? I do. And I don't recall seeing that recently.

Hey you have your arguments I can have mine can't I? The Big 8 had tough teams, it wasn't all powder puffs, Nebraska was just that good most of the time. To your point though I think they also split carries more to begin with in the early quarters as well.

I agree, but we don't dominate the lower tier teams like we did back then. Look at Sparty in 1995. Childs got 8 carries in relief of LP. Most during times when the game was in doubt. Then in the 4th we give the ball to Ahman and he goes the distance in 1 shot. Then we give the ball to Sims and he does the same thing. LP could have easily had 350 yds that game, but he sat on the bench.

We just don't see too many games like that anymore. Maybe Purdue this year and a couple sprinkled in every year... The number of blowouts isn't the same though.

When I moved from Nebraska in 1981 my bumper sticker read: It's hard to be humble when you're a HUSKER; the other read: Apple Pie makes you sterile. 10 years since a Natty (71) and still positive and wouldn't dropped a nut if I'd of known about the 90's :D

What happened???

The board has changed since 04 also. Used to be members attacked each other with regular certainty. Now, they attack the players and coaches.

GBR GBR GBR

Why?

What happened???

GBR GBR GBR

what was the board like in '81?

• Fire 1

Taylor was a great Husker regardless of your stance on his abilities. A definite lowpoint of the year but one that was out of our control.

I think that is the only thing that really is depressing when I look back on the season. We never got to see what might have been, it's a real shame for Taylor and for the enjoyment of the fans.

it is a real bummer because he could have demolished those records. would have been incredible to see.

What happened???

GBR GBR GBR

what was the board like in '81?

• Fire 3

What happened???

GBR GBR GBR

Why?

The split in the fanbase following the firing of Solich is very, very ugly. And there is still a hangover from it now.

We scored the longest TD from scrimmage in school history this year.

Yes we did, because we fumbled it back to the 1 foot line on the previous play.

One of our WRs broke the single-season touchdown receptions record this year.

Probably bound to happen due to the type of offense we've been running the past couple years, particularly given our general reliance on the pass in the red zone compared to the old days when we'd just pound it up the other team's ass.

Our RB is currently third all-time in rushing yards in school history and has a better than average chance at finishing his career at #2 all time. At Nebraska, where we dominated rushing stats for decades.

I could keep going on these points with my negativity but I need some sleep so I can go to my job and be miserable all day again. Plus I don't want to get into the Tmart argument with everyone again. That's where this thread will wind up.

Later and goodnight.

If you knew your history of the Huskers, he broke Johnny Rodgers record for TD catches. The 70's teams were not smash mouth football. our QB's were Jerry Tagge, David Humm, and Vince Ferragamo. All three had NFL careers.Jerry didn't do to much at Green Bay, Vince played in the Super Bowl with the Rams, and David played behind the snake (Kenny Stabler) in Oakland. So yes, it is a wonder that Johnny's record lasted as long as it did. So your comment isn't made with the true facts in mind. TO was a QB himself and recruited players at QB who could heave the rock, not run the option. Considering JR was a dynamic game changing player, I'd say the negativity being voiced on huskerboard are most likely young pups who can only relate to the 90's teams. I've been a fan since 62', we were as happy as a pig in s--t in the late sixties and early seventies, yet when TO couldn't beat Oklahoma we had fans that wanted Tom out. Fickle is the fan of college football. It's worse today in our instant gratification society. GBR

Be happy Husker fans, we could still have Callahan, and looking at 4 and 5 win seasons with a few 8 and 9's thrown in. Pelini has the Huskers headed in the right direction. Give him time to recruit to the B1G style of play, he's only had three yrs. The past couple have had really good recruiting classes.. GBR

• Fire 2

We scored the longest TD from scrimmage in school history this year.

Yes we did, because we fumbled it back to the 1 foot line on the previous play.

One of our WRs broke the single-season touchdown receptions record this year.

Probably bound to happen due to the type of offense we've been running the past couple years, particularly given our general reliance on the pass in the red zone compared to the old days when we'd just pound it up the other team's ass.

Our RB is currently third all-time in rushing yards in school history and has a better than average chance at finishing his career at #2 all time. At Nebraska, where we dominated rushing stats for decades.

I could keep going on these points with my negativity but I need some sleep so I can go to my job and be miserable all day again. Plus I don't want to get into the Tmart argument with everyone again. That's where this thread will wind up.

Later and goodnight.

If you know you history of he Huskers, he broke Johnny Rodgers record for TD catches. The 70's teams were not smash mouth football. our QB's were David Humm and Vince Ferragamo. Both of which had NFL careers. Vince played in the Super Bowl with the Rams, and David played behind the snake (Kenny Stabler) in Oakland. So yes, it is a wonder that Johnny's record lasted as long as it did. So your comment isn't made with the true facts in mind. Considering JR was a dynamic game changing player, I'd say the negativity being voiced on huskerboard are most likely young pups who can only relate to the 90's teams. I've been a fan since 62', we were as happy as a pig in s--t in the late sixties and early seventies, yet when TO couldn't beat Oklahoma we had fans that wanted Tom out. Fickle is the fan of college football. It's worse today in our instant gratification society. GBR

Be happy Husker fans, we could still have Callahan, and looking at 4 and 5 win seasons with a few 8 and 9's thrown in. Pelini has the Huskers headed in the right direction. Give him time to recruit to the B1G style of play, he's only had three yrs. The past couple have had really good recruiting classes.. GBR

I was referencing more the 80s and 90s. I wasn't around for the 70s. I'm honestly surprised a guy like Purify didn't break the record under Callahan before it happened with Quincy. I'm not trying to take anything away from him. I wish we would have utilized him more than we did between the 20s. But you can't deny that Beck tends to throw the ball up in the red zone a little more than a lot of us would like. I agree with that the younger generations are not the most patient, myself included.

What happened???

GBR GBR GBR

Why?

The split in the fanbase following the firing of Solich is very, very ugly. And there is still a hangover from it now.

I agree with the Solich reference, but the fans have to grow up and live in the present. I attended most home games and a few away from 69 thru 80, (transferred to Philly), the fans made it impossible for the visiting team to hear. After the 83 or 84 season, it changed until the run in the 90's. then back to silence from the fans. After the hail mary, the stadium exploded like it used to in the early 70's. Wouldn't it be great if the fans could get over themselves and make that type of vocal support in 14. The husker fan base needs about 20,000 AA's to get us back to what we used to be. GBR Looking forward to an exciting season.

This was a hell of a season, definitely. Some wild wins, and a lot of the coolest plays and finishes all in one season.

It was also a season in which we played neither Ohio State nor Wisconsin, but still lost four regular season games. The offense that was billed as putting up 60 points a game saw that promise extinguished in a UCLA meltdown at home. The defense's vulnerability was a shocking revelation, although by season's end it had started really turning the corner. It's exciting, but we can all hope for (finally) a defense in 2014 that looks like a Nebraska defense again.

I don't think we were lacking in our appreciation of the good. But bitter tastes have a tendency to overpower, and there was plenty of that, too.

And how much can you knock the fans for not going nuts over a 9-4 season? In this program's heyday, a quarterback and running back(s?) were lost and that's better known today as the Greatest Season in College Football History. Nowadays as we try collectively to make sense of the Bo Pelini era as it's happening, the debate is on over whether Bo just doesn't run that good a show, or if there are X, Y, and Z perfectly legitimate reasons for this particular lack of a conference championship.

There's a lot of contention now, and that's on the staff. They've made their critics out to be not only enemies, but powerful ones. Biff the Blogger, mustachioed parents' basement-dwellers, "Honestly, who has a good relationship with the fans?", and so on. Bo is fighting a fight that doesn't need fighting, and it is clearly draining, for everybody. When Tom Osborne said that the fanbase is the program's biggest asset, I don't think chastising fans for following "18-to-21 year old kids" was what he had in mind. It's maddening to watch, because appealing to the NU fanbase is literally the easiest thing in the world to do. Less than 140 characters required.

• Fire 3