Recruiting ranking - NU 5-6 in Big 10 ??

I think it's fairly obvious that by "professional" I meant those that do it for their profession. I'm sorry if you found that confusing.

I also think it's fairly obvious that our coaches, like most that aren't Texas, USC, Alabama, etc., don't just get to sign their top picks, but that was nice of you to clarify that.

Whay may be less obvious to you is that our coaches have shown a knack for finding talented players where other major programs, and recruiting "experts" do not. That is a necessary skill at a place like Nebraska. Having shown that knack, I trust their evaluation of a prospect more than I trust some website's recruiting "expert" with Cheetos on his fingers.

How many of our best players, and I'm talking all-conference level players, have been three stars or lower according to the "experts"? Bell? Ameer? Martinez? Our coaches know how to scout under the radar talent, because, again, they have to.

What moves are being made by the NU staff that are starting to be manifest. Most years here recently NU has recruited in the upper-middle of the conference pack and finished the season in the upper-middle of the conference pack. This recruiting class is again upper-middle of the conference --- and NU finished again upper-middle of the conference. How is anything changing? This seems to be the same ol' same ol' again. I see nothing to be excited about. It seems quite status qua. There is no reason to view this recruiting class as being very different from the typical Pelini NU class. In what way is this staff "starting to make moves"?

Your "upper-middle" is pretty inclusive if it includes the conference runner-up.

Good point Mavric! true enough NU has ended conference runner up (behind Wisconsin by 55 pts!) formally... but OSU was ineligible and clearly ahead of NU that year too. But still, that was a # 3 in conference which was pretty good. Yet, my general statement is that over the recent years, NU is somewhere between #3 and #6 in the conference more often than not. And that is upper middle... I suppose hedging towards the upper more than the middle (but not by much)

I think it's fairly obvious that by "professional" I meant those that do it for their profession. I'm sorry if you found that confusing.

I also think it's fairly obvious that our coaches, like most that aren't Texas, USC, Alabama, etc., don't just get to sign their top picks, but that was nice of you to clarify that.

Whay may be less obvious to you is that our coaches have shown a knack for finding talented players where other major programs, and recruiting "experts" do not. That is a necessary skill at a place like Nebraska. Having shown that knack, I trust their evaluation of a prospect more than I trust some website's recruiting "expert" with Cheetos on his fingers.

How many of our best players, and I'm talking all-conference level players, have been three stars or lower according to the "experts"? Bell? Ameer? Martinez? Our coaches know how to scout under the radar talent, because, again, they have to.

But Dylan, how do you know the evaluation the coaches have of a player? The coaches do not report their evaluation formally in any quantitative manner nor do they, in general, articulate their evaluations even qualitatively. all we know is that the player was acceptable to the staff and the program acceptable to the player. For all we know, a given player may have been the #8 on the coaches list at that position --- but the first 7 went elsewhere. We have no idea where the coaches rank or rate these players (at least in the vast majority of situations). Sometimes we know where a player ranks among those seemingly interested... but even there it is not definitive.

The "knack for finding talented players" you ascribe to the NU staff is not an unreasonable assignment to make. Implying that most other programs do not have that knack is likely an overstatement. What is seen here, and at many places, is that players develop at differing rate and early assessment is not always accurate and often players rise above their initial rankings. That is true at NU... but many other places too.

Dylan:

i do appreciate your input and enjoy interacting with you on recruiting points. It is nice to talk Husker football with a fellow fan... sure beats working.

This post is merely to apologize if the tone of anything I have posted in any way was off putting to you. I do not mean to offend. Many of your points make great sense to me. So thanks.

Dylan:

i do appreciate your input and enjoy interacting with you on recruiting points. It is nice to talk Husker football with a fellow fan... sure beats working.

This post is merely to apologize if the tone of anything I have posted in any way was off putting to you. I do not mean to offend. Many of your points make great sense to me. So thanks.

gvp.gif

Dylan:

gvp.gif

group hugs... gotta love them.

There are a number of things that go into winning football, not just recruiting. Calahan could recruit, but not coach and we all know what happened there. However, the old saying "Its all about the Jimmies and the Joes" does stand up under a test. Look at the last 10 national championship teams, All had very good recruiting classes, based on STARS, prior to winning ,Some had multiple great classes and almost all of them have had fantastic coaches. Many of these teams are loaded with 4-5 start players Even if they get great return on just 50% of their 4-5 star players, its a win ... The proof is in the results.. Heck Auburn, a darkhorse national champion last year has had over 50 4-5 star players in their last 4 classes. I am sure there are examples to support either side as far as STAR power, but this may be Bo's worst class so far. Not saying it is devoid of talent because there are a few in here that will be beasts.. However, this class is less impressive" on paper" than his earlier classes resulting in blowout losses and losses to Iowa, Minnesota etc etc.. . In contrast, how many 30 point losses does Nick Sabin have in the same time frame. ??

We have a chicken and egg thing going here: Bo won't have a breakout class until he has a breakout year (no more 4 Ls) - win the conf, BCS type bowl, etc But he may not win the conf unless he has breakout players(class). So we need to throw some big change agent in the mix to get a different result. Is that change agent a new coaching staff or is it that one player who can make the world a whole different place - a Johnny Football type guy - maybe our next QB - JS??? I don't know. I'm tired of 4L seasons and average teams.

We have a chicken and egg thing going here: Bo won't have a breakout class until he has a breakout year (no more 4 Ls) - win the conf, BCS type bowl, etc But he may not win the conf unless he has breakout players(class). So we need to throw some big change agent in the mix to get a different result. Is that change agent a new coaching staff or is it that one player who can make the world a whole different place - a Johnny Football type guy - maybe our next QB - JS??? I don't know. I'm tired of 4L seasons and average teams.

You are quite correct on the chicken and egg thing. NU must over-perform relative to the "talent" they have --- that is, they must play exceedingly well with the talent they have and have a great season (likely 2 in a row) before you can expect recruiting to pick up. Until NU stops this 4 loss a season & finish on the order of #4 in a very week conference and # 22-30 or so nationally... well NU will not be attractive to great recruits. This staff has shown no indication that they can generate such results.

This class is likely not a step forward. It is, at best, a status quo kinda of class and is likely somewhat of a regression. That is, of course, only on paper. It could be a class that is better than the rankings would suggest. Time will tell. But right now, it looks like NU made up no ground and likely lost some. Again... time will tell.

If Nebraska can have a Michigan St. type year from this year where they surprise everyone and win 11 or 12 games things will change in lincoln I feel like.

No, there will always be people who complain about one thing or another.

I agree with you on this. But winning will/should ultimately take care of the people who complain about things.