Sipple Q&A with Pelini

how does winning a conf. champ equate to performing at 'bama levels?

Well Bo does have as many CCG appearances/division titles as Saban, and Saban's been at Bama a year longer...................

i was waiting for that. i should have asked, does bo not have enough resources to win the B1G?

how does winning a conf. champ equate to performing at 'bama levels?

Well Bo does have as many CCG appearances/division titles as Saban, and Saban's been at Bama a year longer...................

i was waiting for that. i should have asked, does bo not have enough resources to win the B1G?

The entitled fans want Bama Like results, yet the admin won't put the resources into the program to help get those results.

I figured someone would jump on that. You've never heard anyone else respond that way when asked about something?

all the time, but usually not when it is an 180 degree change from previous behavior.

So now you're downgrading Pelini for changing?

Didn't you know, we run too much, well, until we throw the ball a few times, and then we don't run enough.

And for those that will twist my opening paragraph and say "see, even you agree that he hasn't done a great job even defensively."

Perhaps you have forgotten 2007, EVERY SINGLE defense Bo has put on the field is better than that crap, and yes even the 2008 pile of junk.

http://scores.espn.g...ameId=323360275

http://sports.yahoo....542--ncaaf.html

The entitled fans want Bama Like results, yet the admin won't put the resources into the program to help get those results.

I think the management here ... it's early, but looks really promising. Like the direction the AD is taking and I think the sea change of optimism we are seeing with the football program despite the debacle of last season is due in no small part to how Eichorst does things and the effort he's done getting our programs the resources they need.

I figured someone would jump on that. You've never heard anyone else respond that way when asked about something?

all the time, but usually not when it is an 180 degree change from previous behavior.

no, for his attitude. look, i know this is going to come off as petty, but it is not. the way pelini most demonstrates he is in over his head as a head coach is through his attitude. he is furious at everyone after a big win, his is pugnacious after embarrassing loses willing to go nuclear, he releases apologies without sincerity, then he tries to be the laid back guy that does not need to give a reason for doing something that is probably good for the program, even though he staunchly opposed it before. who is he and how does he lead?

maybe i am reading too much into this, but it just seems like the bo p.r. machine working in overdrive and hard to take it seriously. he is losing credibility, basically.

i think it is great that he is opening up practices, i am just confused why he did not before and is doing it now.

I know. The point was the first argument was "Pelini won't change things" and now is "why is that so different from what he's done."

I'd be curious how it was delivered. It said he "shot" back but is that tone or speed? If it was a quick "why not?" with a shoulder shurg, that would have a lot different context that doesn't come across in the written word. But people will read into it whatever context they feel fits their narrative.

• Fire 2

no, for his attitude. look, i know this is going to come off as petty, but it is not. the way pelini most demonstrates he is in over his head as a head coach is through his attitude. he is furious at everyone after a big win, his is pugnacious after embarrassing loses willing to go nuclear, he releases apologies without sincerity, then he tries to be the laid back guy that does not need to give a reason for doing something that is probably good for the program, even though he staunchly opposed it before. who is he and how does he lead?

maybe i am reading too much into this, but it just seems like the bo p.r. machine working in overdrive and hard to take it seriously. he is losing credibility, basically.

i think it is great that he is opening up practices, i am just confused why he did not before and is doing it now.

I know. The point was the first argument was "Pelini won't change things" and now is "why is that so different from what he's done."

I'd be curious how it was delivered. It said he "shot" back but is that tone or speed? If it was a quick "why not?" with a shoulder shurg, that would have a lot different context that doesn't come across in the written word. But people will read into it whatever context they feel fits their narrative.

Exactly, which is why I don't understand why people are trying to dissect his every word so much or trying to put themselves into his mindset. These are snip its from an interview he did. Nobody knows how much of the quote was actually used. Nobody knows if he told them to edit most of the quote. Its all speculation.

• Fire 1

Exactly, which is why I don't understand why people are trying to dissect his every word so much or trying to put themselves into his mindset. These are snip its from an interview he did. Nobody knows how much of the quote was actually used. Nobody knows if he told them to edit most of the quote. Its all speculation.

I know exactly why - they just like to have something to complain about. This is a perfect example. How many people have complained that Pelini has too much "us against the world" mentality and it hurts the team? And he's bad with the media? Now he makes a big adjustment that helps both and what happens? Do they say "This is a great - if long overdue - step. I glad Pelini finally did this."? Nope. Just move on and start complaining about the next thing.

• Fire 2

i never said bo would not change things and i really do not have a narrative. but forgive me for wondering why he would change here and now, or why he closed practices earlier.

i never said bo would not change things and i really do not have a narrative. but forgive me for wondering why he would change here and now, or why he closed practices earlier.

Not your argument. But an argument earlier in the thread. And when you responded, it was in the middle of discussing how Pelini might have responded to a question instead of the larger subject they were talking about.

I NEVER post, but damnit i cannot stand the damn negativity anymore. What the hell has Bo done so horribly that you guys seem to think he needs to go so badly. We had a once in a lifetime player in Suh that single handedly made this defense a top five unit, take him off the 2009 unit and its not even close to the same. Then in 2010 we had like 4 guys in the secondary that were NFL caliber locking teams up from passing. We changed conferences into what is perceived(and rightfully so) as one of the most hard nosed conferences in the country, maybe not the fastest but one of the toughest in the trenches. It has taken time for him to change from defending spread offenses to ones that consistently send tons of o-lineman to the nfl, but last year showed that he has learned what he needs to do and is adjusting accordingly.

As for the offense, do any of you remember 2009??? We are leaps and bounds better than then even when half of our offense was injured. So many of you just want him gone because of his fieryness but refuse to look at all of the hurdles he has to overcome. I am about done looking at the damn husker football section because there is an absolutely stunning amount of negativity it makes me sick. If you really want to go back to Callahan then GTFO because even Pelinis' recruiting has improved tenfold. Give the man 2-3 more years and if we are still stuck in purgatory then I will agree that things need to change. Until then we need to give him support or watch the whole team turn against us, then we will be in a giant black cloud and become the next Iowa.

Go ahead and tear this post apart like you do every other one and call me a sunshine pumper idc. In 2 years half of you will be eating crow(or just saying how you knew he could turn things around).

/END RANT

I would say it's not so much what he's done, but rather what he hasn't done that's the problem. A legitimate concern, imo.

What he has done has hurt too. Specifically he is a bad PR guy for the university. His rants, his F-bombs, his sideline tirades, his dealings with the press, his poor interviews, his national reputation are all negative issues. So... it is both an issue of bad things he has done and good things he has failed to do. For balance, and in fairness... he has done some good things too and he has refrained from many things that could be worse. Overall... his performance, by my measure (and some others here) is not at all good. But I and others like me do not matter. The powers that be at NU must somehow be impressed... they gave the man a 100K raise. So... no matter what the negativism is here, those who make the decisions like Bo. Why? I have no idea. But clearly they do.

Not your argument. But an argument earlier in the thread. And when you responded, it was in the middle of discussing how Pelini might have responded to a question instead of the larger subject they were talking about.

yeah, i did make some comments about his change in public perception and wondering about that. i just find his change in demeanor a little curious. if it is genuinely because he is more relaxed and confident, then that is great. we will have to see how he deals with adversity, or if he can avoid it all together.

i remember noticing a change in his demeanor before the va. tech game in '09. you could tell he was confident and excited for that game. and his team put together an outstanding effort. so hopefully this is for similar reasons.

True touched on this, but for emphasis:

Q: Can you go directly to athletic director Shawn Eichorst if you feel the need? Folks continue to wonder about your relationship with Eichorst.

A: Yes. That's not an issue. Everything we've asked for, we've gotten.

Scratch one more excuse off the list.

Like he's gonna throw his boss under the bus.

lol.

Sure, but it's not like he was asked about getting everything he's asked for, he went out of his way to make that a point of emphasis.

It's weird - that's the kind of quote that typically qualifies as evidence. "See? Player ___ or Coach ____ said this about ____."

Saunders is right, though: of course Bo wouldn't throw his boss under the boss, anyway (sidenote: He does have Sipple for that).

Though I think it's clear that what we're witnessing is a concerted unified front, and that comes from the top. Bo's not heading into this season dangling off a ledge, even if his job status is truly on shaky ground. Everyone is on the same page and doing everything possible, as long as Bo is here, to give him every opportunity and resource to succeed. It's great to see that all of Husker football is working towards that common goal: a successful 2014 season