Wisconsin

Years and years of tough games and screwing each other over. That's what it will take.

Precisely. This is the very first match-up between the two programs that is even remotely significant.

I will agree that if we beat you on your home court, it will screw you over quite thoroughly- an essential half of a rivalry. (Just like we screwed you out of a Rose Bowl in 2012).

But the other half of that is that you have to screw US over in some fashion- which has yet to happen in any sport, really.

If Nebraska wins tonight, our players will undoubtedly be disappointed, but you are not really screwing us out of anything per se. The #1 seed for the Badgers if far from a given and there are still several tournament games to play. Even if we end up losing out on the 1 seed in the Eastern regional, a 2 seed in the Milwaukee regional is seeming more and more desirable as it would for all intents and purposes give Wisconsin 2 home games 60 miles from campus.

Don't be so sure about #1. Allow me to use the same logic: "We had a great football coach before Osborne. We won national championships immediately before Osborne. When he steps down, I trust Osborne to make a great coaching hire for what is already perennially a great football program."

Success can go away as quickly as it came. Enjoy it while you have it and never think that it is your God-given right, or you may find yourself eating a lot of humble pie like many of us already have done.

You said "fall from relevance". I don't think that will happen. NU football post-Osborne certainly isn't as relevant but it isn't irrelevant. Wisconsin may not be as good, but I have no reason to think they'd go from one of the better and most consistent programs in the country to an absolute afterthought. We've got a good farm system in the UW System. That's where we plucked Ryan and Bennett. We'll be fine.

I just get annoyed because it's an argument that often gets used when Wisconsin is discussed on this board. "Their football will suck now that Brent is gone. Their basketball will suck when Bo leaves", it's as if all success is attributed to that one particular guy without any thought being given to the institutional/program strength of the Athletic Department as a whole. It's also dumb because it's one of those obvious things that can be said about any program anywhere.

Years and years of tough games and screwing each other over. That's what it will take.

Precisely. This is the very first match-up between the two programs that is even remotely significant.

I will agree that if we beat you on your home court, it will screw you over quite thoroughly- an essential half of a rivalry. (Just like we screwed you out of a Rose Bowl in 2012).

But the other half of that is that you have to screw US over in some fashion- which has yet to happen in any sport, really.

If Nebraska wins tonight, our players will undoubtedly be disappointed, but you are not really screwing us out of anything per se. The #1 seed for the Badgers if far from a given and there are still several tournament games to play. Even if we end up losing out on the 1 seed in the Eastern regional, a 2 seed in the Milwaukee regional is seeming more and more desirable as it would for all intents and purposes give Wisconsin 2 home games 60 miles from campus.

Yea we're missing that other half. I get why Nebraska fans dislike Wisconsin, I just have no reason to be especially bitter toward Nebraska. Beating us tonight and maybe again in the B1G tourney would probably make me hunger to beat NU in BBall which is a start.

I have great respect for Alvarez, but he may not be making your hire. There are no guarantees of success even if he does make the hire. Your blind faith in the decisions made by your athletic department is tremendously naive. Once Barry is gone, things can change so quickly, it'll make your head spin (See Steve Pederson at Nebraska). What appeared to be a happy, cohesive unit can come completely undone once the "glue" leaves.

Finally, I expect that a Nebraska fan could get annoyed if they went to a Wisconsin forum as well. That just goes with the territory.

I have great respect for Alvarez, but he may not be making your hire. There are no guarantees of success even if he does make the hire. Your blind faith in the decisions made by your athletic department is tremendously naive. Once Barry is gone, things can change so quickly, it'll make your head spin (See Steve Pederson at Nebraska). What appeared to be a happy, cohesive unit can come completely undone once the "glue" leaves.

Finally, I expect that a Nebraska fan could get annoyed if they went to a Wisconsin forum as well. That just goes with the territory.

It's more like trust rather than "blind faith"...Barry has guided the department well in his time and I trust him to continue doing so because he hasn't done anything to lose that confidence.

...and I would expect that this hypothetical Husker fan on a Wisconsin forum, when annoyed by things he finds fault with, to politely state his opinion. There's no issue there. I'm not saying "stahp, you guise are annoying me, stahp!" I'm simply stating that it annoys me. Sorry that me being annoyed bothers you somehow. It shouldn't.

:cheers

I'm not annoyed, nor did I say anything that was indicative of being annoyed. I just wanted to state some valid points about what can happen when a key figure leaves a department. It is like how siblings in that happy family sometimes devour each other when Dad dies. Let's hope that doesn't happen to the happy Wisconsin "family".

I'm not annoyed, nor did I say anything that was indicative of being annoyed. I just wanted to state some valid points about what can happen when a key figure leaves a department. It is like how siblings in that happy family sometimes devour each other when Dad dies. Let's hope that doesn't happen to the happy Wisconsin "family".

Ok cool, so anyhow, back to basketball...

Not If, we did!

• Fire 1