Obama and Race

Your comment was directed at me claiming I need to research more about politics instead of "just turning on Fox News". How am I supposed to take that?

However you want, it means nothing to me. There was no claim in my post that you have ever watched Fox News. If you took it to be implied, you were wrong. But you still remain hung up on something entirely beside the point.

Wow...this conversation really got you heated up....

Every "race" "fights" itself. And White's are pretty damn privileged in this country, the only shame is that some of them don't realize that they should extend those privileges to others.

You should tell that to those poor White kids on welfare in Kentucky and Tennessee. That might have a bone to pick with you.

And the Blacks and Hispanics males might have a bone to pick about being harassed for stop and frisk in New York when they were just walking the streets like any normal person. There are poor kids on welfare from every other race as well. The fact of the matter is in this country if you're a white, straight, christian male you're likely to do better than if you're a minority in any of those three categories.

I know a lot of liberals that would be fine if rich people were taxed at 95%.

Marginal rate? It was close to that in the 50s. Worked out alright then. I don't think that it should be that high . . . but I do think that we should have higher rates in (new) higher brackets.

So, you are fine with them being that high if needed. My more conservative view is that if they were that high, it would be outrageous and should be illegal.

If we were, oh . . . I don't know . . . paying for a world war or something? Yeah. I don't know about being fine with it . . . but accepting it? There's probably some circumstance where I'd say yes.

Why do you find it so outrageous? (Again, keep in mind that I'm not even advocating for rates half that high.)

And to bring the entire point back around, when you look at some of the issues and the stances many Republicans (generally conservative) take, they are often in support of some current systems that promote, or at least help maintain, racial inequality. Some would call that racism, others unintentional racism, while still others probably wouldn't go that far. I believe that was Landlord's point from before.

Guys let's start talking about race again okay.

You're a racist. ;)

Kidding, Landlord. Kidding.

I know a lot of liberals that would be fine if rich people were taxed at 95%.

Marginal rate? It was close to that in the 50s. Worked out alright then. I don't think that it should be that high . . . but I do think that we should have higher rates in (new) higher brackets.

So, you are fine with them being that high if needed. My more conservative view is that if they were that high, it would be outrageous and should be illegal.

If we were, oh . . . I don't know . . . paying for a world war or something? Yeah. I don't know about being fine with it . . . but accepting it? There's probably some circumstance where I'd say yes.

Why do you find it so outrageous? (Again, keep in mind that I'm not even advocating for rates half that high.)

Not to put you off because I asked you a question. But, we have had this discussion a number of times in other threads over the last couple of years and the thread is about racism. So....just trying to get it back to that.

Just stop responding to anything that isn't related to the topic. Can't get it back on track while continuing to engage in conversation that is unrelated.

You are the one that made the initial claim about the Republican party and systemic racism. If you want the discussion to swing back in that direction, I suggest submitting actual policy issues where Republican trends uphold systemic racism.

I can get the ball rolling, sure.

Ryan sparked the controversy when he blamed poverty on “a tailspin of culture” in our “inner cities,” while invoking for support Charles Murray, notorious for postulating the genetic inferiority of blacks. Within hours, Rep. Barbara Lee rebuked Ryan for launching “a thinly veiled racial attack.”

My greatest fear is that Ryan shares with the Republican Party a penchant for strategic racism — a willingness to stir widespread racial anxiety in pursuit of votes. This is not racism as hate, or as bias, but as the cold, calculating decision to exploit racist sentiments in society.

Malice did not drive this; instead, it reflected a tactical decision to stoke racial fears. And this strategy has largely worked. After 1964, Republican presidential candidates have won a majority of the white vote in every election, often by staggering margins. Today, the centrality of race to the GOP is obvious: roughly 9 out 10 Republican supporters are white, as are 98 percent of its elected state officials.

http://billmoyers.com/2014/03/27/so-is-paul-ryan-a-racist/

On Sunday, George Stephanopoulos, hosting ABC's "This Week," asked the panel for reactions to President Obama's program for young minority men, "My Brother's Keeper." Heather Mac Donald, Senior Fellow at the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research, summed up perfectly the collective conservative response, arguing the theme of the event should have been about the lack of black fathers in the home. "Nothing keeps a young man out of trouble like a father who takes an active role in his life. No one is willing to talk about fathers," she said. What the rest of the panel failed to point out was that Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis both had fathers--a fact that did not stop them from being murdered.

For five years, whenever President Obama has addressed predominately black audiences he has focused primarily on behavioral issues in regards to race. Obama has often discussed the importance of growing up in a two-parent household, turning off video games, staying away from drugs, and the need to stay in school. While he still mentioned all of the above, the announcement of "My Brother's Keeper" was one of the few times Obama made clear that structural racism exists and needs to be addressed if young black and brown youth have any way of surviving in this country. That last part of course, is what brought forth the conservative backlash. Those like Bill O'Reilly continued to argue that problems in the black community were mostly linked to personal behavior. If Obama could eliminate gangsta rap, things would certainly improve, he suggested. Yes, because white youth never listen to gangsta rap or grow up in single parent households. Another Fox News regular, Todd Starnes said, "Obama announces a government initiative to help young men of color. Caucasian is not one of the colors getting helped."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vincent-intondi/education-institutional-r_b_4886989.html

Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Calif., also noted the progress and the work ahead. "While we've made much progress, I hope at this 50th anniversary we can really take a deep look at - and an honest look - at how far we've come and celebrate that, but just recognize we've got a long way to go. Institutional racism is alive and well in America," she told Nancy Cordes in an interview for "Face to Face."

Lee also weighed in on the state of poverty in the nation as another 50th anniversary approaches--that of the declaration of the War on Poverty. Lee said that the nation has come a long way in the war on poverty, but recently has been stymied by Republican efforts to reduce the deficit. "They want to cut SNAP, food stamps, by $20 billion-plus, they will not allow for the expansion of Medicaid in states that are headed by Republican governors, they have cut Head Start."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/institutional-racism-is-alive-and-well-in-us-says-rep-lee/

The debate fell silent Saturday when Ron Paul trotted out of the closet the GOP skeleton of denial: racism.

Initially confronted with "racist" diatribes penned by another writer in a newsletter under his name, Rep. Paul dismissed them as a 20-year-old nonissue. Then, suddenly, as if the 76-year-old libertarian realized that he had nothing to lose, Paul pivoted dramatically away from alleged petit racism of words to gross de jure racism of deeds.

"True racism in this country is in the judicial system," he said in his counterattack to the ABC News panelist at the New Hampshire debate. "And it has to do with enforcing the drug laws.

"Look at the percentages. The percentages of people who use drugs are about the same with blacks and whites. And yet the blacks are arrested way disproportionately. They're prosecuted and imprisoned way disproportionately. They get the death penalty way disproportionately.

This flipping of the script flummoxed the other GOP candidates, who looked betrayed as the audience gazed up in a deafening silence.

Such open admission of deep, structural racism in America is considered heresy among Republicans, white or black -- notwithstanding the statistical facts of the matter. The death-penalty bias is also sacrosanct. A few debates ago, a GOP crowd rattled the rafters with applause when Texas Gov. Rick Perry boasted about losing no sleep over executing inmates at a rate of two a month during his entire 10-year reign!

This draconian pace of state killings makes Perry a GOP star while rendering him exhibit A as a practitioner of the judicial excesses his fellow Texan cited in the debate Saturday.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2012/01/ron_paul_on_racism_defying_the_gop_norm.html?wpisrc=root_lightbox

• Fire 1