Another Oklahoma Fail

The concept behind the death penalty is that it's supposed to be a deterrent.

And the evidence seems to show that it isn't a very good one . . .

Which deterrent has been shown to be better?

That's kind of a false choice isn't it? I don't know about deterring future crimes . . . but I do know that criminals behind bars don't do much damage to the general population.

• Fire 1

The concept behind the death penalty is that it's supposed to be a deterrent. The bloodlust being thrust upon those who advocate the death penalty is fun, I guess, but the histrionics of "You're stooping to their level" doesn't do much to further a real discussion on the matter.

I don't really think it is "histrionics" to bring up the stooping to their level argument. In the eyes of God, if you have one, isn't the commandant "Thou shalt not kill"? I don't recall him qualifying the statement by saying "Thou shalt not kill unless you really want to because you think this person deserves it."

So if there is no deterrent, what should we do to people like Mr. Lockett?

Let him go free?

Life in prison man, obviously. Plus, as a taxpayer, you'll be glad to know that this is about 3 times cheaper than an execution.

I believe the only way the death penalty is a deterrent is if it is carried out quickly after the trial while the crime is still fresh in the public's mind. I don't believe it does anything when a death row inmate sits on death row for 20 years while his verdict is rehashed over and over again.

Now, I am not for taking away the inmates ability to have his verdict questioned simply for the fact of how many innocent people have been found to have sat on death row for so many years.

So, until it is figured out how to be 100% sure you have the right guy and be able to carry it out quickly, I am tired of spending millions of dollars fighting the system to get the sentence carried out.

Throw the bastards in the worst click possible and let them sit and rot.

• Fire 1

The problem with jailing them is that imprisoning someone is no guarantee they won't commit murder again.

http://www.slate.com..._than_free.html

This article actually goes against your argument. It says that prisons are safer than being free in the general population! Sure, there's an off chance that someone might commit a murder in prison. This isn't a death penalty issue, it's a prison security issue. Three inmates per 100000 is a very low percentage. But death row inmates get murdered at a 100% clip.

The problem with jailing them is that imprisoning someone is no guarantee they won't commit murder again.

This article actually goes against your argument. It says that prisons are safer than being free in the general population! Sure, there's an off chance that someone might commit a murder in prison. This isn't a death penalty issue, it's a prison security issue. Three inmates per 100000 is a very low percentage. But death row inmates get murdered at a 100% clip.

It doesn't go against the argument that 0.00% of those people executed for murder do not murder again.

• Fire 1

Death row inmates are a much larger strain on the legal system than the perceived problem of "clogging up jail cells"

It's not an invented problem, our jails are overcrowded. Overcrowded to the extent that people are trying to find ways to release even handfuls of convicted criminals, so it's obviously something people feel needs to be done.

But I do agree with the quoted part, which is why there should be far fewer appeals for many of the people on death row when there is ample evidence along multiple lines of the person's guilt. Essentially, if there's basically no realistic way you might be innocent, you get limited appeals and then you're put down. That would remove a fair amount of the drain.

And I have no problem with being considered barbaric. I'm not above a lot of things, nor are most humans. We're a violent and rather distasteful species. I don't try to pretend I, or anyone else, isn't. Death penalty all the way - including a "fast lane" for most of them.

It doesn't go against the argument that 0.00% of those people executed for murder do not murder again.

Yep, and 0% of the wrongfully executed people do not commit their first murder either! So it's a win/win situation.

Yep, and 0% of the wrongfully executed people do not commit their first murder either! So it's a win/win situation.

The justice system has gotten things wrong before, yes. This isn't news.