CBS Sports: Breaking Down the Big Ten Schedules

Does the "Better Than Hoke" Banner hang directly above the 2006 "National Championship Caliber Defense" Trophy? Crap! We really are running out of room here guys.

Is there anything I can do to help you process that I never said that? I feel bad that you keep mistakenly referring to something nobody said.

Nothing you can do, and please, don't feel bad.

• Fire 1

You guys are in rare form today. You knew full well what I meant.

Edit: Not to mention, I think we all know well enough in this day and age of FCS beating FBS and what have you that no mid-major opponent can ever be counted out, especially not one that posted 11 wins last season (even with the loss of its star quarterback). Factor in that in the Pelini era we've lost a game to a team we should easily handle in each and every season, and I think writing off Fresno as an easy win is a bit premature.

i think you are right. history has demonstrated that we struggle with any team with a good qb and they are capable of beating us. does not mean that have or will, but history has proven that they are a threat to beat us and can beat us.

what about bo's quarterback graveyard... :hmmph

i guess i should have said any good mobile qb. at least since 2010. but papersun's point makes sense to me. we sometimes struggle with teams that we should not and all they need is a good qb to make the difference.

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the defense is. I always thought the mobile qb's particularly played Hell on the d when they were in the "Line up two yards off the ball and contain" mode. Maybe the aggressiveness will help?

I do believe outside of a few, the posters on this board are absolutely clueless, and follow the lead of the rest of the sheep. To compare one year with the next is fruitless, no grounds to determine how any game will go other than the obvious talent on the teams involved giving one team an advantage, which doesn't always compute to victory on the field.

It's off season and the fans that make football their do all end all are all full of s__t without a clue. I would even venture a guess that few if any of the posters on here pulled on pads even at the Jr High level. Just a bunch of arm chair Head Coaches and QB's.

Yes I did play HS and JR College, just wasn't talented enough or fast enough to compete with the best. Did play on same team with a future Heisman Trophy winner in HS.

What makes everyone think that Michigan State is going to be a loss. Without the 5 turnovers last yr, do you think MS still wins????? Same for Iowa for that matter... Does UCLA come back without Taylor being injured in first half, doubtful. Minnesota was just a plain old ass kicking by a team taken to lightly.

I don't post on here much due to the fact that it's always the same few with bulls--t opinions, based on nothing other than what they hear from like minded fools.

Started following the Huskers in '58, began drinking the kool-aid in 62.....in case you need assistance counting, that's 56yrs yelling GBR. I've seen some average and some of the best ever. This years team has the chance to be very good.... This is a very young and very talented team. If you can't see that, then you really are clueless.... if you do see it, then most of you jump on Pelini as the problem. The posters of this board (with a few exceptions, those in the know) aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about...GBR

It will be interesting to see how aggressive the defense is. I always thought the mobile qb's particularly played Hell on the d when they were in the "Line up two yards off the ball and contain" mode. Maybe the aggressiveness will help?

i am definitely pro-aggressiveness on the defensive side of the ball.

hopefully fresno will be a statement game. give us a taste of how good the defense can be. we should know a lot about fresno by then and how good they are.

The best a Bo Pelini defense has ever done against a mobile quarterback, as far as I can remember, was against Tyrod Taylor in 2009. Suh had 4 pass deflections alone in that game, and our line was aggressive getting into the backfield and getting their hands up in passing lanes (remember how many pass deflections we used to get per game?) and Bo cooked up a ton of exotic blitzes.

Presuming we don't use the game to experiment the way some think we did with Wyoming, I'd say the aggressiveness will help a lot.

if NU comes into the game and is focused and plays hard

This is the kind of thing that has been called into question in exactly that type of game. Multiple occasions actually. Nebraska has shown a lack of effort and focus nearly every year in the non conference schedule, and they've even admitted to it post game a few times I believe.

I do believe outside of a few, the posters on this board are absolutely clueless, and follow the lead of the rest of the sheep. To compare one year with the next is fruitless, no grounds to determine how any game will go other than the obvious talent on the teams involved giving one team an advantage, which doesn't always compute to victory on the field.

It's off season and the fans that make football their do all end all are all full of s__t without a clue. I would even venture a guess that few if any of the posters on here pulled on pads even at the Jr High level. Just a bunch of arm chair Head Coaches and QB's.

Yes I did play HS and JR College, just wasn't talented enough or fast enough to compete with the best. Did play on same team with a future Heisman Trophy winner in HS.

What makes everyone think that Michigan State is going to be a loss. Without the 5 turnovers last yr, do you think MS still wins????? Same for Iowa for that matter... Does UCLA come back without Taylor being injured in first half, doubtful. Minnesota was just a plain old ass kicking by a team taken to lightly.

I don't post on here much due to the fact that it's always the same few with bulls--t opinions, based on nothing other than what they hear from like minded fools.

Started following the Huskers in '58, began drinking the kool-aid in 62.....in case you need assistance counting, that's 56yrs yelling GBR. I've seen some average and some of the best ever. This years team has the chance to be very good.... This is a very young and very talented team. If you can't see that, then you really are clueless.... if you do see it, then most of you jump on Pelini as the problem. The posters of this board (with a few exceptions, those in the know) aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about...GBR

Crap, well the "We are undefeated if you discount turnovers and injuries" banner is just going to have to wait. There's a severe back order on red nylon thread.

He asked if having a good quarterback was all they needed to beat us and you said history says yes.

What he didn't ask is "should we write off fresno as an easy win?"

If that's not what you meant you should have said something differently because we haven't lost to a mid major since 2004. So history says no.

You guys really need to slow down with creating all of these achievements. We had room for the "9 wins" banner, but if we want to hang the "Better than Brady Hoke" and "Haven't lost to a mid major" banners we may have to do another expansion project.

When did he call it an achievement? Oh that's right, he didn't.

The best a Bo Pelini defense has ever done against a mobile quarterback, as far as I can remember, was against Tyrod Taylor in 2009. Suh had 4 pass deflections alone in that game, and our line was aggressive getting into the backfield and getting their hands up in passing lanes (remember how many pass deflections we used to get per game?) and Bo cooked up a ton of exotic blitzes.

Presuming we don't use the game to experiment the way some think we did with Wyoming, I'd say the aggressiveness will help a lot.

If you call Colt McCoy mobile, obviously that game too.

But yeah aggressive for Bo squads usually equates to better results. If I'm getting greedy I'd also prefer an aggressive punt block set or a committed return squad instead of a "please for the love of god don't let them fake it" scheme.

But I'll take the defense first.

He asked if having a good quarterback was all they needed to beat us and you said history says yes.

If that's not what you meant you should have said something differently because we haven't lost to a mid major since 2004. So history says no.

You guys really need to slow down with creating all of these achievements. We had room for the "9 wins" banner, but if we want to hang the "Better than Brady Hoke" and "Haven't lost to a mid major" banners we may have to do another expansion project.

No need to point that out to him. He already knows it, but damned if he won't act like he doesn't. #BlowingUpThreads

Simmer down. The banner can be hung, it just will take time. It's a first time banner, you can't expect it to be hung perfectly right away.

Give it 6 or seven years of it falling down and getting little strings cut off of it four times a year. Entitled banner readers are the worst.

To compare one year with the next is fruitless, no grounds to determine how any game will go ..............

No grounds to determine how any game will go huh? You mean, like that^?

We can talk about what ifs all we want, but those games happened the way they happened. In a way we have seen a few times here lately.

Excitement about the upcoming season is evident. People clearly have high expectations, just look around this board. But as possible as you think it is for this talented team to do well, it is just as possible we see some repeats of the exact same things we've seen nearly every year for the last six seasons. That's not unreasonable. It's also not unreasonable for fans to be tired of seeing it. I would expect the coaches and players are sick of the results as well.

Simmer down. The banner can be hung, it just will take time. It's a first time banner, you can't expect it to be hung perfectly right away.

Give it 6 or seven years of it falling down and getting little strings cut off of it four times a year. Entitled fans are the worst.

FIFY

Give it 6 or seven years of it falling down and getting little strings cut off of it four times a year. Entitled banner readers are the worst.

Nebraska just can't compete with the big boys of banner hanging. We don't have the tools.