The big city/ small town debate will go on forever. My brother lives in Camarillo, CA which is north of LALA land. My sister in law would never think of living in a small town having grown up in the metro Omaha area. She thinks it would be boring with nothing to do. The funny thing is, when ever we go visit we really don't do anything that exciting. I think its just the thought of not being able to go get a Café Latte at 2:00 AM if she wants that she is worried about.

The big city/ small town debate will go on forever. My brother lives in Camarillo, CA which is north of LALA land. My sister in law would never think of living in a small town having grown up in the metro Omaha area. She thinks it would be boring with nothing to do. The funny thing is, when ever we go visit we really don't do anything that exciting. I think its just the thought of not being able to go get a Café Latte at 2:00 AM if she wants that she is worried about.

I like both. Ideally, I'd like to live in a rural area near a larger city. I don't want my neighbors to be 10 feet away but I want to be within a short drive from lots of restaurants, bars, and breweries.

I like both. Ideally, I'd like to live in a rural area near a larger city. I don't want my neighbors to be 10 feet away but I want to be within a short drive from lots of restaurants, bars, and breweries.

Also, each is good for different times in your life. I lived in LA when I first graduated from UNL. Three blocks from the Pacific Ocean, tons of great bars and fun stuff to do. Then I moved to the suburbs of D.C. for a few years. But now that I'm married and have a family I prefer a smallish Midwestern town. I have a large, fenced back yard with a dog and a garden. I lunch with my family nearly every day. These things wouldn't be feasible in either LA or Washington D.C.

Also, each is good for different times in your life. I lived in LA when I first graduated from UNL. Three blocks from the Pacific Ocean, tons of great bars and fun stuff to do. Then I moved to the suburbs of D.C. for a few years. But now that I'm married and have a family I prefer a smallish Midwestern town. I have a large, fenced back yard with a dog and a garden. I lunch with my family nearly every day. These things wouldn't be feasible in either LA or Washington D.C.

I can see that. I've got the wife, dog, fenced in yard, and the garden . . . but no littl'uns yet. I suppose our dining and drinking habits will change when that day comes.

I can see that. I've got the wife, dog, fenced in yard, and the garden . . . but no littl'uns yet. I suppose our dining and drinking habits will change when that day comes.

you'd think so, but i am drinking as much as ever!

you'd think so, but i am drinking as much as ever!

I am right there with you. Once our kids were old enough to play with the other neighbor kids with minimal adult supervision, the drinking by the adults has gotten heavier.

Now we typically start late afternoon/early evening, and then usually finish to get the kids to bed by 9:00, but it's still a few hours of beer/wine/mixed-drinks.

This is my exact situation. I live in a town of about 2000 people and am only about 15 miles from the Boise metro area Downtown Boise actually has a nice restaurant/bar/brewery scene. We don't get down there to often though.

I am right there with you. Once our kids were old enough to play with the other neighbor kids with minimal adult supervision, the drinking by the adults has gotten heavier.

Now we typically start late afternoon/early evening, and then usually finish to get the kids to bed by 9:00, but it's still a few hours of beer/wine/mixed-drinks.

i have a nice home bar i enjoy quite a bit and like to have friends over for dinner and to hang out. they all have kids now, so it works out pretty well. i occasionally go to the bars, but usually it is just for a different atmosphere. there are a couple in town i enjoy quite a bit because they have a good beer selection, good cocktails, or both.