Where Are the Hardest Places to Live in the U.S.?

Starr Texas (west of Houston ) is the fattest I could find at 51%. Green CO Alabama at 51% too.

The south is almost entirely >40% (!!)

Hawaii might be the thinnest state. All in the mid 20s. :thumbs:

OK, compare these two maps.

The one in this article from an OP. (Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to actually insert this picture for some reason.)

And, this one showing income levels.

LINK

Screen_Shot_2014-07-18_at_3.26.50_PM.png

So, it appears when you compare Nebraska to the southern states on "how hard it is to live" there, Nebraska looks pretty good. But, when you compare income levels of the average populations, it appears they aren't that much different.

Obviously, the weather is much harsher in Nebraska. So, what makes the difference?

Obviously, the weather is much harsher in Nebraska. So, what makes the difference?

Race is a big component of the disparity in obesity.

(Not sure if that's what you were asking . . . but the "how hard is it to live there" metric looked at more than just income.)

(Not sure if that's what you were asking . . . but the "how hard is it to live there" metric looked at more than just income.)

So, you are saying race is a bigger factor in obesity than income level? I had thought it was the other way around.

I understand the "how hard it is to live there' looked at more than income. However, I thought income would be the main driving point of the other points. One thing I did notice is unemployment is much higher in the south than it is in Nebraska. I'm not sure how that factors into income level. Maybe the income level is the income of the people who have a job.

So, it appears when you compare Nebraska to the southern states on "how hard it is to live" there, Nebraska looks pretty good. But, when you compare income levels of the average populations, it appears they aren't that much different.

I think it's clear that the SEC has something to do with it. :lol:

So, you are saying race is a bigger factor in obesity than income level? I had thought it was the other way around.

Chicken or the egg?

Blacks have obesity levels around 51% higher than whites.

Non-whites earn around 65% compared to whites.

But...as the map points out, if you just look at the population of the two areas with not even considering the race of the two, the income levels appear to be close to the same.

Like I can't pretend to know the struggle that many people there face. But I at least want to recognize it and figure out what needs to be done to help fix it.

Would your opinion be that it could be a leadership issue within the reservations that is the root of problems?

I only know about Pine Ridge based on what I have read and what people from my church report after doing mission trips there but I do drive through the Winnebago every time I visit family and that place is prospering when it used to be a sh#t hole. Are they getting different help than Pine Ridge? Or did the leadership at Winnebago see a problem and fix it?