Where Are the Hardest Places to Live in the U.S.?

Also, yes, I think alcohol should be legalized. Clearly the fact that the reservation is dry isn't a deterrent, and it results in a massive amount of money leaving the reservation. Do that as a stopgap, then work on the alcoholism problem to solve it from within.

Todd County and Shannon County - Pine Ridge and Rosebud Indian Reservations. I grew up just miles from them...it's very true, the poverty, despair, addiction, hopelessness...really really sad. Reservations are simply cesspools of cyclical poverty that nobody seems to want to do anything about

Todd County, where all my Dad's family are...

Aye.

Both my mom and dad grew up in Todd County, and grandparents still live(d) there. But they were all owners of medium-sized ranches and were not Native Americans nor part of the Native American community and did not share in their problems. But obviously I spent my fair share of time in Todd County, knew plenty of people from Mission, etc etc. There's just a lot of bad things that happen and a lot of bad situations that seem like they should be avoided.

Like when I was a sophomore in high school, a sophomore from TC High was found, scalped, in a field south of Mission. Of course us stupid-ass kids made fun of how dumb the Indians were. Then you grow up and study some socioeconomics and find a little empathy for those who have different life situations from you and realize, damn, life up there is a real struggle for a ton of people. And that death was an end result.

I'm reminded of this list (Worst States to make a living) put together based on average salaries, cost of living, workplace conditions, and employment rate:

1. Hawaii

2. New York

3. Mississippi

4. Rhode Island

5. Connecticut

6. Alaska

7. Alabama

8. Arkansas

9. New Jersey

10. South Carolina

I remembered this list because aside from Alaska and Hawaii, the states fall into two very specific categories. Apparently New England and the Deep South do have something in common.

Aye.

Both my mom and dad grew up in Todd County, and grandparents still live(d) there. But they were all owners of medium-sized ranches and were not Native Americans nor part of the Native American community and did not share in their problems. But obviously I spent my fair share of time in Todd County, knew plenty of people from Mission, etc etc. There's just a lot of bad things that happen and a lot of bad situations that seem like they should be avoided.

Like when I was a sophomore in high school, a sophomore from TC High was found, scalped, in a field south of Mission. Of course us stupid-ass kids made fun of how dumb the Indians were. Then you grow up and study some socioeconomics and find a little empathy for those who have different life situations from you and realize, damn, life up there is a real struggle for a ton of people. And that death was an end result.

you probably know some of my family... They're all over the place in Mission

I have experienced the Pine Ridge/Rosebud reservations in South Dakota a few times. Just from the exterior, it was pretty horrifying. Then I saw this TED talk with photography from an outsider living as an insider. The video solidifies it and even opened my eyes more.

I went to Detroit at the end of April this year for a National Disabled Hockey Festival. The despair is similar but yet entirely different. You drive for miles and miles and miles through Ford boom era housing, out of downtown to the suburb we were staying at, and every block has a couple okay looking houses, a few boarded/semi-boarded up houses and at least one house burned to the ground. Some looked newly burned, while others looked as though they've sat that way for many years.

I have never seen so many fire destroyed houses in one day in my entire life. I doubt that I will ever see that level reached again.

Then you get to the industrial zones and see massive factories that looked like they were in a post-apocalyptic movie. As a massive photography hound I had seen images before but it's entirely different seeing it in person.

We went to the Ford Rouge factory and this was my experience as seen from the highway going to and from the factory.

• Fire 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I love those interactive maps the NY Times produces. I'm not sure why they list obesity as one of the datapoints in this study, but it's interesting to see where people are fat/skinning on this map. The "skinniest" area I could find was NYC at 22% obesity. Nebraska counties seem to average around ~36% obese. Surprisingly both LA county and San Diego county are at 30%. I figured they'd be skinnier than New York.

I love those interactive maps the NY Times produces. I'm not sure why they list obesity as one of the datapoints in this study, but it's interesting to see where people are fat/skinning on this map. The "skinniest" area I could find was NYC at 22% obesity. Nebraska counties seem to average around ~36% obese. Surprisingly both LA county and San Diego county are at 30%. I figured they'd be skinnier than New York.

I saw 21% in one CO county . . .

I saw 21% in one CO county . . .

Starr Texas (west of Houston ) is the fattest I could find at 51%. Green CO Alabama at 51% too.