When Should "Dad-Coaches" Stop Coaching Their Kids

When I was coaching I was told that a new player's father was poison in the stands - second guessing everything the old coach did, putting down certain players right to their parents faces, etc. The first thing I did was to ask him to be an assistant coach, and I didn't have any problems because he felt he had some control.

As a coach, I expect more out of my son (not performance wise) and he sometimes thinks that I am "too hard" on him. I enjoy spending the time with him, but I don't want him to resent the sport or resent me. That's why I would rather be the dad sitting super far away from everyone else, but watching the game. That way I can still watch my son, but I don't have to deal with idiot parents.

As a coach, I expect more out of my son (not performance wise) and he sometimes thinks that I am "too hard" on him. I enjoy spending the time with him, but I don't want him to resent the sport or resent me. That's why I would rather be the dad sitting super far away from everyone else, but watching the game. That way I can still watch my son, but I don't have to deal with idiot parents.

Don't worry about him resenting you cause you coach him...he will resent you regardless

Don't worry about him resenting you cause you coach him...he will resent you regardless

I was waiting for that comment from Teach.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it all depends on the person. My dad never coached me but I will probably coach my son to some extent. One thing my dad did do is we rehashed every practice in the car on the way home, in a good way. I know that is part of the reason in high school I knew everyone's assignment on every play as a sophomore. As a sophomore RB I was telling senior OL their blocking assignments in the huddle. There is a fine line. I had other friends with similar dad discussions on the ride home that were out of sports and into drugs by junior high.

It all depends on what priorities the dad has. If he will put he kid's future first he will be successful. Throw away the I want you to be better than me and the this tee ball game is game 7 of the Series crap. Focus on getting all the kids to their max potential and recognizing that most likely no one on your little league team will even play in college.

I agree with just about every ones points in here. That being said I have a 6th grader and 7th grader. I have coached and been the manager of my baseball team since they were 6 yrs old. Managed the 9,10,11 and Majors all star team every year. I have coached as a helper for there individual football teams for the past 4 years and its been a blast. I am cutting my self away from their teams when they turn 13. They will be moved up into pony league baseball and will be playing school football. I get to finally sit in the stands and watch. That being said they will still get football coaching from me just because they like to talk football.

• 2 weeks later...