Best/Worse President since WW2 - Quinnipiac poll

I know that it is important to include standard age demographics, but c'mon. What 18 year-old kid is gonna be like, "yeah, I thought Truman did a GREAT job!" I mean, yeah, you can read history books, but this timeframe is a bit long. I admit, I don't have a better alternative research design.

Voters have short memories. Notable things from the crosstabs: the sainthood of Ronald Reagan has made deep inroads into the public consciousness (Democrats score him more highly than Carter and......Truman?). Also noteworthy is the obvious trend of conservatives disaffiliating with the Republican Party. Otherwise, this is still a sharply divided country and there's consensus that both presidents were largely disappointments.

FWIW, my vote would go to Johnson. His one unambiguous bright spot is the civil rights stuff, which was inevitable regardless of who sat in the White House. On the other hand, I disagree with broad portions of his Great Society programs, some of which have been rolled back, and his biggest black mark: he let his ego kill 50,000 American soldiers, and God knows how many others.

Notable things from the crosstabs: the sainthood of Ronald Reagan has made deep inroads into the public consciousness (Democrats score him more highly than Carter and......Truman?).

The mythologizing by Norquist's Reagan Legacy Project and others is really stunning. There are some real political geniuses in the business wing of the GOP.

They display absolute contempt for the American public . . . and worse . . . it looks like they're right.

Zogby poll piles on:

http://zogbyanalytics.com/news/471-zogby-analytics-poll-president-s-approval-plunges-is-it-all-over-for-him

http://washingtonexaminer.com/john-zogby-is-it-all-over-for-obama/article/2550415

Obama's saving grace - Congress is viewed as worse

Mr. Obama finds himself in the uncomfortable position where every age group, independents, and whites all agree that the public has given up on his ability to accomplish anything before the end of his term,” said Zogby in releasing his latest numbers.

“In short, we see a president in full salvage mode. He is not only racing for his legacy but for his relevancy,” Zogby added.

The analyst who pens a weekly report card on the president for Secrets, however, said that there is one positive in all of his polling: As much as Americans disapprove of Obama, they like Congress even less.

How soon people forget Presidents like George W Bush, Jimmy Carter, and Tricky Dick.

Crazy, right? Particularly since the first of those was still president six years ago.

And the next disaster that Obama presides over/initiates/ignores that is the equivalent or worse than 9/11, the Iraq War, or the financial meltdown will be his first.

How soon people forget Presidents like George W Bush, Jimmy Carter, and Tricky Dick.

Crazy, right? Particularly since the first of those was still president six years ago.

And the next disaster that Obama faces that is the equivalent or worse than 9/11, the Iraq War, or the financial meltdown will be his first.

Very true. But GWB was just a slight bit better in the poll than Obama. But I think that is relative to the most recent 'bad news' in Iraq. I suspect in the long run, GWB will end up worse.

And the next disaster that Obama faces that is the equivalent or worse than 9/11, the Iraq War, or the financial meltdown will be his first.

Very true. But GWB was just a slight bit better in the poll than Obama. But I think that is relative to the most recent 'bad news' in Iraq. I suspect in the long run, GWB will end up worse.

The most obvious takeaways from the poll is that Republicans REALLY love Reagan (voted nearly unanimously for him as best) and REALLY hate Obama (voted nearly unanimously for him as worst). That's not really news . . .

And the next disaster that Obama presides over/initiates/ignores that is the equivalent or worse than 9/11, the Iraq War, or the financial meltdown will be his first.

It's really only fair to blame Iraq on Bush. 9/11 was months into his term and the threat intel he received was generic at best. The financial crisis, to the extent that it was created by government policy, had been building, policy by policy, for decades. Bush aimed big and lost big on Iraq, and for that, history will not be kind. Obama's downfall came out of an abundance of caution and general ineffectiveness.

Obama's downfall came out of an abundance of caution and general ineffectiveness.

Well, again, I'll post this link. Obama may have been a decent president. But we'll never know, because he never had the chance to show us. When the other party holds a meeting on the night of your inauguration and pledges to obstruct every single thing you do - and then spends the next six years following through on that pledge - it's nearly impossible to say how good/bad Obama is, or will be viewed.

This is one party throwing a six-year (soon to be eight year) temper tantrum because they lost an election. It's borderline criminal what they're doing to this country because they simply will not attempt in any way to work with this president.

LINK

• Fire 2

It's really only fair to blame Iraq on Bush. 9/11 was months into his term and the threat intel he received was generic at best. The financial crisis, to the extent that it was created by government policy, had been building, policy by policy, for decades. Bush aimed big and lost big on Iraq, and for that, history will not be kind. Obama's downfall came out of an abundance of caution and general ineffectiveness.

Kickstarted by Reagan, ironically.