Huskers Football: Blackshirts’ Front Seven Feeds Ache for ’14

Nebraska will be holding auditions for the two backup spots at defensive end behind projected starters Randy Gregory and Greg McMullen. Who’ll be in the mix? Papuchis mentioned Joe Keels, A.J. Natter, Jack Gangwish and three freshmen — Sedrick King, Peyton Newell and Mick Stoltenberg. “Strength in numbers,” Papuchis said.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/coordinators-like-huskers-core-and-are-optimistic-for-what-s/article_26340ed8-48f2-5868-aa6b-42d7719d8110.html

In my opinion, there is no greater key to fielding a great team than having a dominant defense. Everything else just falls into place.

If we had anything approaching a serviceable offense in 2009, we would have had a championship-calibre team. But unfortunately for us, we didn't.

Our offense this year will be far better than that of 2009, and if we can, in fact, put together a dominant defense (especially up front), we could have a pretty interesting year.

I'm holding my breath, though, until I see some evidence at game time. :afro:

In my opinion, there is no greater key to fielding a great team than having a dominant defense. Everything else just falls into place.

If we had anything approaching a serviceable offense in 2009, we would have had a championship-calibre team. But unfortunately for us, we didn't.

Our offense this year will be far better than that of 2009, and if we can, in fact, put together a dominant defense (especially up front), we could have a pretty interesting year.

I think everyone is ready except the 2nd corner and nickel, hopefully J. Rose and Charles Jackson can step up to fill those roles.

I think everyone is ready except the 2nd corner and nickel, hopefully J. Rose and Charles Jackson can step up to fill those roles.

Cockrell would be my guess.

I want to see Gregory break the single season sack record. Both the Nebraska record and NCAA record!

And possibly break several other things in the process...as long as they are good, clean hits. There was a day when players clearly stopped, crumpled and fell to the turf rather than go head on with various blackshirt defenders (Carlos Polk comes to mind)....would like to see that again.