US Begins Bombing ISIS Forces in Iraq

I wonder if over the long term Iraq would have been better off under Saddam's regime. (Not making that claim . . . just thinking.)

It's a horse apiece in my opinion. Saddam was killing his own people too.

No doubt . . . he was really, really, bad. I suspect that Iraq's new future is going to be really, really, bad too.

Glad we are doing this. A bit late - however, should have done it when they breached the Syrian boarder. I'm not for Iraq War 3 but there is genocide going on now in Iraq

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2014/08/chaldean-christian-leader-isis-is-beheading-children-in-iraq-video/

http://online.wsj.com/articles/iraqi-militants-seize-christian-villages-1407404503

Now they have captured the big dam, that if destroyed could flood Baghdad 300 miles away or at least turn off the electricity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/world/middleeast/isis-forces-in-iraq.html?_r=0

WO-AT297_IRAQ_o_G_20140807114208.jpg

I wonder if over the long term Iraq would have been better off under Saddam's regime. (Not making that claim . . . just thinking.)

One of those: The dictator that you know is better than the one you don't know. At a minimum he provided a counter weight to Iran. The Iraq leader now is also corrupt. It is hard to force democracy down the throats of a society that only knows rule by the strongest.

Overall, probably. The one good thing that could still come out of this adventure would be the start of a free, independent Kurdistan. Starting to redraw borders in ways that make sense ethnically, not according to colonial sensibilities would be a step in the right direction in that train wreck of a region. Hardly worth the cost of the Iraq War, but sunk costs are not recoverable.

Overall, probably. The one good thing that could still come out of this adventure would be the start of a free, independent Kurdistan. Starting to redraw borders in ways that make sense ethnically, not according to colonial sensibilities would be a step in the right direction in that train wreck of a region. Hardly worth the cost of the Iraq War, but sunk costs are not recoverable.

And I believe Turkey, who initially opposed an independent Kurdistan is now on board with it IIRC...so, progress?

And I believe Turkey, who initially opposed an independent Kurdistan is now on board with it IIRC...so, progress?

Let the rewriting begin! We went into Iraq to liberate Kurdistan. (Not saying Luke or you are saying that . . . just poking fun at the "deposing a dictator" justification for Iraq War 2.0 after those WMDs failed to materialize.)

For the record, I am all about using the military (air power) to destroy ISIS. No issue with it at all. They are mass murdering terrorists whose desire to establish a caliphate is a direct security risk to the US.

I just find it ironic that Mosul fell over 2 months ago, Christians fled there around June 6. We knew of the savagery of ISIS while watching Syria burn. No surprise. We now intervene when Ebril is threatened. A autonomous Kurdish zone that just happens to be a very beneficial city for US oil interests.

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/2013/06/25/list-of-oil-companies-in-kurdistan/

I would prefer to forgo the "humanitarian" speech and just say that we are dropping the hammer on some pieces of sh!t and call it a day. Enough with the BS PC reasons. I think the majority of Americans support a limited air operation with a clearly defined parameters and end game. I think more would support if Obama talked about good vs evil. (Not the ME, but Americans)

It is and always be about the money. If not, we would have intervened in Africa (Sudan, Rwanda) years ago. (Repubs and Dems both at fault)

Let the rewriting begin! We went into Iraq to liberate Kurdistan. (Not saying Luke or you are saying that . . . just poking fun at the "deposing a dictator" justification for Iraq War 2.0 after those WMDs failed to materialize.)

No, I saw where you were going. I wouldn't doubt the Texas State Education Board has already latched on to your idea for the state's History textbooks...

For the record, I am all about using the military (air power) to destroy ISIS. No issue with it at all. They are mass murdering terrorists whose desire to establish a caliphate is a direct security risk to the US.

I just find it ironic that Mosul fell over 2 months ago, Christians fled there around June 6. We knew of the savagery of ISIS while watching Syria burn. No surprise. We now intervene when Ebril is threatened. A autonomous Kurdish zone that just happens to be a very beneficial city for US oil interests.

http://www.iraq-businessnews.com/2013/06/25/list-of-oil-companies-in-kurdistan/

I would prefer to forgo the "humanitarian" speech and just say that we are dropping the hammer on some pieces of sh!t and call it a day. Enough with the BS PC reasons. I think the majority of Americans support a limited air operation with a clearly defined parameters and end game. I think more would support if Obama talked about good vs evil. (Not the ME, but Americans)

It is and always be about the money. If not, we would have intervened in Africa (Sudan, Rwanda) years ago. (Repubs and Dems both at fault)

agreed