Presidential Vacation Days

The only time I feel like presidential vacations are ever an issue is when a president is on vacation, a major event occurs, and they refuse to cut the vacation short. In all reality it may not change anything whatsoever, but it does seem pretty dumb to give the public a reason to point the finger. Just fly back to Washington and deal with the event; you can take another vacation later on. Other than that, it's whatever - president might be the hardest job in America and they're only human. I'm totally fine with GWB hanging out at the ranch or Obama relaxing at Martha's Vineyard or whatever.

Ya, makes you wonder why anyone wants the job - it has to be the hardest job in the world not just the USA. Pressures from every angle and backseat QBs questioning their every move (like me). My job is stressful enough, can't imagine the pres's job. Takes a unique individual with great abilities to pull it off. I think regardless of political persuasion - agreement or not - I have to give honor where honor is due - it takes a special person to sit in that job for 1 term and to maintain it through 8 years of constant stress is really an effort. Drum roll cue: I honor Pres Obama for his sustained efforts in working towards the betterment of the USA - regardless of policy position. :thumbs

To think of FDR being elected 4 times & sustaining a high level of performance in the midst of probably the most difficult time in our country outside of the civil war is truly amazing. This goes back to our recent discussion on a thread about a 1 year 6 year term for the president. It seems that a lot of presidents run out of steam in the 2nd term - therefore, vacation breaks may be all the more needed. Besides if congress can take their 5 week summer break.... talk about excess time off vs what is actually accomplished.

Ya, makes you wonder why anyone wants the job

Big time. Take Reagan. Much-loved actor, became governor of California, had some money, did his civic duty, had nothing at all left to prove, but then he runs for president.

He was a pretty good president, sure, but as a man, why would he want that? Has to be something genetic, some Alpha-male thing.

I wonder about the stress, too. It takes a major toll. From Carter to Obama, here's how presidents looked going into and coming out of office. They age rapidly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2022761/The-White-House-effect-Why-American-presidents-age-TWICE-fast-office.html

I wonder about the stress, too. It takes a major toll. From Carter to Obama, here's how presidents looked going into and coming out of office. They age rapidly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2022761/The-White-House-effect-Why-American-presidents-age-TWICE-fast-office.html

carter's whole face turned gray!

but, i do think you have to be probably a sociopath in regards to the type of ego it would take to run for and become president. there are no philosopher kings.

Man Reagan looks like Zombie Al Davis in that pic.

I don't personally have the ability to even brainstorm what it is that makes people want to be president because I have zero interest in being that guy and could never do it, but some combination of power, civic duty, ego, and legacy probably covers a lot of it.

Ya, makes you wonder why anyone wants the job

Big time. Take Reagan. Much-loved actor, became governor of California, had some money, did his civic duty, had nothing at all left to prove, but then he runs for president.

He was a pretty good president, sure, but as a man, why would he want that? Has to be something genetic, some Alpha-male thing.

I think GHWB aged the least in those pics but all of the rest - pretty much. Reagan was already older than the rest but even he aged considerably - even though he had a head start on old. Reagan I think ran out of hatred for communism - is life long fight (several very good books document this). Even at that - there has to be the Alpha male thing going. If Bill didn't have the legal issues - Monica gate, etc - I think he would have aged the least - I think he & Reagan had the personality for the position perhaps more than most of the others.

If Bill didn't have the legal issues - Monica gate, etc - I think he would have aged the least - I think he & Reagan had the personality for the position perhaps more than most of the others.

I think Reagan and Clinton relished the job. Obama in particular strikes me as more introverted and at times seems exasperated by the hoops he has to jump through. As an introvert, I sympathize.

If Bill didn't have the legal issues - Monica gate, etc - I think he would have aged the least - I think he & Reagan had the personality for the position perhaps more than most of the others.

I think Reagan and Clinton relished the job. Obama in particular strikes me as more introverted and at times seems exasperated by the hoops he has to jump through. As an introvert, I sympathize.

Luke, never thought you'd consider yourself an introvert - you do a very good job of expressing yourself on the forum - but yes one doesn't need to be an extrovert to put together thoughtful responses and posts

I agree with your assessment of Obama. GWB, Carter were rather intense as well - maybe not introverted but very intense.

I agree. It's like Obama knows exactly what he wants to do, but is frustrated by all of the extra *stuff.* Unfortunately a lot of politics in America is shaking the right hands and lining the right pockets

Luke, never thought you'd consider yourself an introvert - you do a very good job of expressing yourself on the forum - but yes one doesn't need to be an extrovert to put together thoughtful responses and posts

I agree with your assessment of Obama. GWB, Carter were rather intense as well - maybe not introverted but very intense.

tschu will probably spit his soda on his keyboard after how I introduced myself to him, but I consider myself an introvert as well. I'm good at pouring my thoughts onto forums, and of necessity I've learned to be engaging in public, but I'm happiest in my basement, in the one room with a door, door shut, alone.

Haha, the compliment is appreciated, but yeah, introverts don't necessarily struggle to express themselves and aren't necessarily even socially awkward. In my case, it's mainly finding social interaction tiring and being quiet around people I don't know - and probably socially awkward too. I'm a geek and embrace it. :P

tschu will probably spit his soda on his keyboard after how I introduced myself to him, but I consider myself an introvert as well. I'm good at pouring my thoughts onto forums, and of necessity I've learned to be engaging in public, but I'm happiest in my basement, in the one room with a door, door shut, alone.

Oh I'm a huge introvert. Forums are so much better for social interaction, if you can call it that, than a bar or a concert or some other crowded place where I'm surrounded by people that I will find any reason to hate. Yes I'm moderately socially awkward, not ashamed about it either.

Or the grocery store, you always run into people and they want to talk to you and it's a disaster ;)

I have no issues with vacations. I do have issues with continual travel at the cost of the tax payers. Air Force 1, the Secret Service advance, detail, press corp, entourage, comms folks etc, etc, etc.... It's not just POTUS and their family. It's a whole production that costs an incredible amount of money each and every time the president moves. Throw in the first family and you are looking at millions of dollars to "vacation" or leave the WH.

Reports show Bush cost approx 20 million in time away from WH and Obama 44 million. Not bashing, just showing that it's not like a normal family going on a trip.

Throw in time to travel from DC to Jay Leno in LA, your ranch in TX etc and it adds up quickly.

They are never "off", but it doesn't mean they need to abuse the office and take advantage of the situation.

Throw in the Congress and Senate boondoggle trips ,not to mention their staffers, cabinet positions etc.....and you are talking about an incredible amount of money being spent.